The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Which, if they are trying to look after their health/families, empowers them to do so (as well).  So giving them the right to refuse boarding is a good thing.

TBH, I thought they already had that right. Show up at the gate three sheets to the wind and you're probably not getting on.....doesn't seem like much of a stretch to do the same with someone displaying flu-like symptoms....

Like Hippy pointed out, it's pretty easy to sit here and criticize Trudeau's response and it's quite possible, even probable that he could have done things better, but unlike the orange clown to the south, he doesn't believe that his gut is more reliable than the opinions of experts and has been following their advice from the get go....

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like Hippy pointed out, it's pretty easy to sit here and criticize Trudeau's response and it's quite possible, even probable that he could have done things better, but unlike the orange clown to the south, he doesn't believe that his gut is more reliable than the opinions of experts and has been following their advice from the get go....

I heard a friend whining about needing decisive leadership and I pointed out that the US had a  self proclaimed decisive leader and where their numbers were.  Then I pointed out our border closures came within days of the US doing the same.  How we're doing more for our people than the US is doing.

Still got a "he should have done X, Y or Z and when people die it's his fault.

You cannot at all debate with some people when their minds are made up.  I want trudeau to step down after this and hand over leadership to Freeland, but I won't say he's doing a bad job.  Ford made some questionable decisions, as did Horgan, Kenney etc but all in all Canada's leadership has done quite well in their response to this

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

:picard:

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

:picard:  

I see your :picard: and double it :picard::picard:!

No thanks to emergency ART funding lol.

Edit: instead of ART funding, funnel it all to nurses!! Something that actually matters!!

Do you guys have a migraine? 

Perhaps you should get checked out! (kidding, hopefully not necessary) 

IMO, as far as funding a large portion to the medical field, absolutely. 

But "art" is creation. 

And as others have pointed out, many of the things we are enjoying right now, while in isolation, are the result of the creative mind, the arts. 

13 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Do you guys have a migraine? 

Perhaps you should get checked out! (kidding, hopefully not necessary) 

IMO, as far as funding a large portion to the medical field, absolutely. 

But "art" is creation. 

And as others have pointed out, many of the things we are enjoying right now, while in isolation, are the result of the creative mind, the arts. 

I did... until I drank through the pain.

I'm better now.

Unfortunately it's the third time this week I'll have to buy a month's supply of beer.

Edited by Lionized27
to edit
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, bree2 said:

with the way things are, I can't see Hockey being back until maybe next season, I hope I am wrong tho 

Unfortunately bree, I think you're correct and I have for some time now.

I'm not sure if the NHL is going to do things like MLB, but if so, this is a tragic burning of a year of service for Petey and Quinn....

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

I did... until I drank through the pain.

I'm better now.

Unfortunately it's the third time this week I'll have to buy a month's supply of beer.

Same....I'm thinking of hooking up a keg to an IV....

• Cheers 1

What a joke. Guess they care more about offending the CCP than the wellbeing of the world 

Bruce Aylward, Senior Advisor to Director General of WHO, was interviewed by RTHK. When he is asked about reconsidering Taiwan’s membership considering its good performance in tackling COVID-19, Aylward refuses to answer and hung up. 

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have not been a Trudeau supporter.  I have questioned Dr. Bonnie and her soft spoken updates that, at times, were puppet/puppeteer for me.

However, in seeing how things are progressing elsewhere in comparison to here I have to state that maybe, as people who are experts and/or being guided by them, they've been doing an excellent job.  My initial "shut everything down" sounds great, except the logistics behind that just aren't so simple.  And it seems to me, with each new "step" they take, it's been a well thought out process.  I do feel they could have been stronger and quicker in a more proactive response...but also now understand the focus a bit more.  That you can't "stop it" so measures were being put into place to adequately track and contain it.

I have to give them credit, whether I like/believe them or not.  They're doing a fantastic job.  Because if they weren't stuff would really be hitting the fan right about now.  We're managing to keep this at bay to some degree.  Although time will tell, I want to think they've got a much better handle on things than I initially gave them credit for.

Still not perfect, but this is a crisis that is unprecedented and they're navigating the waters pretty well.  They've been confident and caring.  It feels real to me...that they're trying their very best.  YVR, however...not so much.

i agree with the sentiments

but at some point during a crisis like this one

you have to rely on more knowledgeable people

because we individually simply do not know enough about medicine

the internet has allowed people to project greater knowledge then they actually have

which is unfortunate as it creates a layer of misinformation

i think it is important for people to remain critical

but at the same time people need reliable sources of information

and it is important once those are sourced to support them

the bc leadership has proven to be reliable

and the stats have supported that throughout so far

and that really is the measure on which to compare the messaging since the start

because the spin/bull crap will become apparent

if the data starts to present a different message

i think we are in good hands here

You can't make this stuff up folks....the NRA is going to court in an attempt to have gun stores declared an essential service :rolleyes:

https://fox40.com/news/business/nra-sues-california-gov-gavin-newsom-and-other-state-officials-over-gun-store-closures/

The National Rifle Association and other gun-owner groups are suing California Gov. Gavin Newsom and other officials after gun stores were deemed non-essential businesses and ordered to close during a statewide stay-at-home order to curb coronavirus infections.

The lawsuit seeks to have gun stores declared essential businesses. It was filed Friday by the NRA, a Los Angeles-area gun retailer, and other gun-owner groups in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

In addition to Newsom, other defendants listed in the suit include California Department of Public Health Director Dr. Sonia Angell, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, and Los Angeles County Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You can't make this stuff up folks....the NRA is going to court in an attempt to have gun stores declared an essential service :rolleyes:

https://fox40.com/news/business/nra-sues-california-gov-gavin-newsom-and-other-state-officials-over-gun-store-closures/

What if a terrorist entered your home and tried to blow it up? Surely it would be essential for you to go buy a gun at your local gun store, so that you can light up that mofo with your brand new Ar-15*. 

*accessories sold separately

Edited by Toews
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have not been a Trudeau supporter.  I have questioned Dr. Bonnie and her soft spoken updates that, at times, were puppet/puppeteer for me.

However, in seeing how things are progressing elsewhere in comparison to here I have to state that maybe, as people who are experts and/or being guided by them, they've been doing an excellent job.  My initial "shut everything down" sounds great, except the logistics behind that just aren't so simple.  And it seems to me, with each new "step" they take, it's been a well thought out process.

I have to give them credit, whether I like/believe them or not.  They're doing a fantastic job.  Because if they weren't stuff would really be hitting the fan right about now.  We're managing to keep this at bay to some degree.  Although time will tell, I want to think they've got a much better handle on things than I initially gave them credit for.

Still not perfect, but this is a crisis that is unprecedented and they're navigating the waters pretty well.  They've been confident and caring.  It feels real to me...that they're trying their very best.

A lot of this is very much like the many debates on here over the years about the Canucks.

Despite the negativity, criticism, cynicism, what you agree with, perceive as negative, or what the ongoing narrative has been, people also need to be able to acknowledge when good things are happening and when progress is being made. 

I felt the same way over the past week but refrained from getting into heated debates with people over what "should be" or looking at the negatives only. I was more in the camp of we need to let our leaders and experts manage this and make good for the people in this unprecedented situation. If we don't, then we're not allowing for good to actually happen. 

Things aren't perfect by any stretch but good things are indeed happening based on how things are currently being managed. It takes time to see results and pivot to critical changes. That doesn't mean there aren't "wrongs" in all of this but it's important to acknowledge what we are getting right. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

well it does make some sense

because the virus is an invisible killer

and travels in pacts that can number millions

so if you are forced to deal with an invisible enemy

you have to factor in waste

because you cannot have a 100% kill rate when you are shooting blind

so clearly that may entail or require more weaponery

and a substantially higher volume of ammo

they should clearly be an essential service as a result

but there should be perhaps a 5 gun limit on semi automatic gun purchases

and 100,000 limit on bullets

guns vs virus

guns win every time (if you have enough ammo of course)