The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's one of the things that has always baffled me....I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people lining up to by guns are already gun owners. They want more....:wacko:

Gun owner here. Not lining up and no plans to purchase more. Even if I were in the US I've got all I need...could always use more ammunition, however.

I honestly don't understand the horde mentality.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

New cases:  92

Total 884

444 VCH

291 Fraser Health

60 Vancouver Island

77 Interior

12 Northern

12 long term care homes with at least one resident/staff test positive

6 in VCH; 6 in Fraser Health

Sweeping changes are in store for the care workers at these long term care facilities.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We're all replying in somewhat tongue in cheek fashion about the gun story, but think about it for a minute....

The hardcore gun enthusiasts see this as an infringement on their God given right to purchase and own guns.....meanwhile the US is in the grip of an emergency, the likes of which it hasn't seen since WWII....people are hoarding....people are fighting over supplies...the divide between the haves and the have-nots is more pronounced....and the entire crisis is still viewed through an ultra partisan lens....

.....and some folks really want to go and by some guns in reaction....what could possibly go wrong?

There’s been a spike in gun sales in our town recently. So much so, that it was on the evening news about a week ago. 

Considering that many gun owners already own more than one gun it begs the question.

How many guns do you actually need? 
Sort of like the old joke.... I’ve got a drinking problem: two arms but only mouth. :P

So what are these people envisioning? A scene out of an action thriller where dude has a weapon in each hand, blasting off rounds, changing clips on the fly, and then blasting more rounds? :shock:

Strange times.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I heard a friend whining about needing decisive leadership and I pointed out that the US had a  self proclaimed decisive leader and where their numbers were.  Then I pointed out our border closures came within days of the US doing the same.  How we're doing more for our people than the US is doing.

Still got a "he should have done X, Y or Z and when people die it's his fault.

You cannot at all debate with some people when their minds are made up.  I want trudeau to step down after this and hand over leadership to Freeland, but I won't say he's doing a bad job.  Ford made some questionable decisions, as did Horgan, Kenney etc but all in all Canada's leadership has done quite well in their response to this

Exactly, I am a pretty big basher of every politician of every party but I got to say I have been fairly happy overall across the country of how both Federal and Provincial leaders have held this.  Could a few things been done days/a week sooner?  Yea would have liked to see things tighten up for flights especially with spring break and people going all over the place but overall I have been quite happy with how they have all run this incident, this is one of those things you never figure a leader will have to deal with so generally I judge by everything else they do over their time period.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We're all replying in somewhat tongue in cheek fashion about the gun story, but think about it for a minute....

The hardcore gun enthusiasts see this as an infringement on their God given right to purchase and own guns.....meanwhile the US is in the grip of an emergency, the likes of which it hasn't seen since WWII....people are hoarding....people are fighting over supplies...the divide between the haves and the have-nots is more pronounced....and the entire crisis is still viewed through an ultra partisan lens....

.....and some folks really want to go and by some guns in reaction....what could possibly go wrong?

Civil War!!!!

32 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Ugh.  92 new cases today.....Dr. Henry doesn’t seem as optimistic as she did yesterday.

Happy to see that recovery rate though.  The proactive use of ICU beds must be helping.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Happy to see that recovery rate though.  The proactive use of ICU beds must be helping.

Dr.Henry said it was mainly the earlier cases of younger care workers that make up a lot of the recovered 

numbers.

Edited by redhdlois

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

New cases:  92

Total cases 884

444 VCH

291 Fraser Health

60 Vancouver Island

77 Interior

12 Northern

12 long term care homes with at least one resident/staff member test positive

6 in VCH; 6 in Fraser Health

52 people in ICU

1 additional death VCH region

45% fully recovered (396 people who had it & are now recovered)

30 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Ugh.  92 new cases today.....Dr. Henry doesn’t seem as optimistic as she did yesterday.

Mentioned this a few weeks ago.  Spring Break was going to be the real litmus test.

I would think over the next 2-3 weeks we see the largest daily spikes simply because people have been moving.  Almost a million students moving through airports to smaller cities, almost a million out of country travellers have come back to canada by estimates in the last 10 days.  

They projected and modelled this a while ago based on so many being mobile over this last 2 weeks.  I think the real test as stated will be the numbers over the next 16 days.

But by the numbers as of now we're still doing ok.  As of now only

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

i don't really agree

we have 45% recovery

total active cases are below 500

the recovery outstripped the new cases today

so from a strictly numbers perspective there was in fact improvement

don't trip over day to day variances

need to look at 3 to 4 day indictors

look at the usa

steady increase in numbers daily

in close to a 25 to 50% daily increase rate

that is a completely different trajectory then here

we will still see numbers climb steady here

that is a fact in this pandemic

but listen closely to what she is saying

we have clusters that inflate infection rate confirmations

and the vast majority of deaths are related to long term care facilities

they have a good idea where the situation is going in bc

and remain optimistic (relative to other places)

on a side note

i also think they are both tired

dix especially, he looks worn down

they need the rest of the weekend off

i think you might see a more refreshed team

at the update conference on monday

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1