The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yes they could but if the incidence is higher whether recognized or not it would drive the negative stats down. People are freezing out over the death rate but that number could be exaggerated by unaccounted cases.

One can only go by the numbers that are posted. The problem is there are known, unknowns and then there are unknown, unknowns. Until the actual numbers of infected are known, we can only use the known numbers that are known.

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

One can only go by the numbers that are posted. The problem is there are known, unknowns and then there are unknown, unknowns. Until the actual numbers of infected are known, we can only use the known numbers that are known.

add to that differences in environmental and health factors between countries. And age-related factors. 

Just wash your damn hands and try not to touch your face in public. 

• Upvote 1

It would be weird watching the NHL games with no people in the stands. Kinda like watching a Belarus WJC game I guess...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-impacted-by-potential-preseason-games-china-coronavirus/c-315578596

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/coronavirus-march-madness-ncaa-nba-nhl-olympics-20200302.html

Edited by Kanukfanatic

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It would be weird watching the NHL games with no people in the stands. Kinda like watching a Belarus WJC game I guess...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-impacted-by-potential-preseason-games-china-coronavirus/c-315578596

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/coronavirus-march-madness-ncaa-nba-nhl-olympics-20200302.html

The owners would rather post-pone the season than having no spectators. What's the point of these games for the owners if they don't make money? I can see the league potentially postpone the season for 2-4 weeks before resume playing. This allow people who are infected to reach their incubation period and be quarantined from going out in public.

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

The owners would rather post-pone the season than having no spectators. What's the point of these games for the owners if they don't make money? I can see the league potentially postpone the season for 2-4 weeks before resume playing. This allow people who are infected to reach their incubation period and be quarantined from going out in public.

TV revenue will still be paid out for those games.  They are already doing no crowd soccer games in europe.

Washington state reports two additional virus deaths and seven more cases

Tue 3 Mar 2020 19:32:26 GMT

That brings the US tally to 8

If you want to do some back-of-the-envelop calculations. If you assume the mortality rate is 0.2%-2.0% that implies 400-4000 full-blown cases, with many more incubating or worsening.

That's extrapolating from a tiny sample but Italy went from 6 to 600 cases in a week.

Meanwhile, Spain has reported its first virus death, saying it was way back on Feb 13. We don't know much about the patient but that's three weeks of potential spread, which is far too much to contain.

corona.jpg

The rest of the list looks like this ..............

• Singapore
  • United States
  • Hong Kong
  • Kuwait
  • United Kingdom
  • Bahrain
  • Thailand
  • Taiwan
  • Switzerland
  • Malaysia
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Iraq
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Austria
  • Netherlands
  • Vietnam
  • Oman
  • Macau
  • Israel
  • Lebanon
  • Belgium
  • Croatia
  • Greece
  • Ecuador
  • Finland
  • India
  • Russia
  • Algeria
  • Czech Republic
  • Mexico
  • Pakistan
  • Denmark
  • Philippines
  • Azerbaijan
  • Georgia
  • Iceland
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Belarus
  • Brazil
  • Egypt
  • Indonesia
  • Portugal
  • Afghanistan
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Cambodia
  • Dominican Republic
  • Estonia
  • Ireland
  • Jordan
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Morocco
  • Nepal
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • North Macedonia
  • San Marino
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Sri Lanka
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
Edited by nuckin_futz

There's been a fair amount of debate on whether the American healthcare system is superior to Canada's on these boards. This story suggests otherwise:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

I think it's fairly obvious that stories like this one could easily frighten people away from getting tested for COVID-19. I also think it's fairly obvious that this could present a rather large problem....

EDIT: (Formatting was a mess, so just posting the link)

Edited by RUPERTKBD

On 3/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, falcon45ca said:

2.5% mortality rate observed over 77,000 cases, majority with underlying health concerns.

Hey Chicken Little, how's the sky doin' today?

Some of us actually have underlying health concerns ...

• Upvote 2

Be cautious of it, but do not fear it. Wash your hands, keep good hygiene practice. Find ways to improve your immune system (e.g. vitamins, workouts etc.). Still enjoy and live your life as you normally do and hope for the best.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

This type of virus makes the rounds for closer to a year than 2-4 weeks. I don't think a postponement is a possibility.

Probably either play games with no fans or cancel imo.  But who knows for sure....

...some people are stocking up on food and meds. I am gonna stock up on booze!!!

• Cheers 1

Formatting problem so here is a bit of the story and link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/real-people-wont-die-rhetoric-around-who-is-at-risk-of-coronavirus-infection-sparks-debate-over-ageism-ableism/ar-BB10HotE?ocid=spartandhp

"

As heightened fear of the coronavirus continues to spread while more global cases develop, people are reassuring themselves and others that the virus is mostly only deadly for a select few vulnerable groups — the elderly, the immunocompromised and those with pre-existing health conditions. But the reminder has sparked a conversation about ageism and ableism when it comes to health emergencies.

In the World Health Organization’s recently released Q&A about COVID-19, the agency wrote that “older persons and persons with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart disease, or diabetes) appear to develop serious illness more often than others.”

Some social media users, however, have taken this to mean that they don’t need to worry because it’s only these vulnerable populations who are at severe risk.

On Feb. 26, Twitter user @ahleuwu wrote, “(F)alse alarm everybody turns out the coronavirus only kills old people,” sharing a photo of statistics showing the death rate percentages among different age groups."

On 3/2/2020 at 3:23 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I know I shouldn't make light, but our Physics prof, who originally from Iran, called in sick today....:blink:

As long as he didnt go to Iran recently, I dont see what the fuss would be about. Its probably just a common cold 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Formatting problem so here is a bit of the story and link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/real-people-wont-die-rhetoric-around-who-is-at-risk-of-coronavirus-infection-sparks-debate-over-ageism-ableism/ar-BB10HotE?ocid=spartandhp

"

As heightened fear of the coronavirus continues to spread while more global cases develop, people are reassuring themselves and others that the virus is mostly only deadly for a select few vulnerable groups — the elderly, the immunocompromised and those with pre-existing health conditions. But the reminder has sparked a conversation about ageism and ableism when it comes to health emergencies.

In the World Health Organization’s recently released Q&A about COVID-19, the agency wrote that “older persons and persons with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart disease, or diabetes) appear to develop serious illness more often than others.”

Some social media users, however, have taken this to mean that they don’t need to worry because it’s only these vulnerable populations who are at severe risk.

On Feb. 26, Twitter user @ahleuwu wrote, “(F)alse alarm everybody turns out the coronavirus only kills old people,” sharing a photo of statistics showing the death rate percentages among different age groups."

I would say people that are immunocompromised or elderly due to weaker immune system are mainly affected. This virus gets killed by our immune system and we only have that to combat this virus. I dont think a diabetic patient thats taking medication or in other words under control would be affected unless they have uncontrolled diabetes or uncontrolled hypertension. 

4 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Some of us actually have underlying health concerns ...

If you had it checked or taking meds for it, you should be fine unless its something major like cardiovascular disease or you are taking meds as transplant patient. Any meds that can weaken your immune system would be a major concern. Really depends what is your underlying health issue.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Or small children....or elderly relatives....but hey, no big deal if you're a healthy 20 - something, amirite? :rolleyes:

This is a blatant mischaracterization of what people who are advocating against doomsday, the end is nigh rhetoric are saying.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It was said tongue in cheek...

I know but at this point the disease is becoming Pandemic, already in 70 countries. Now I doubt people will be targeting 70 nationalites lol. Look at South Korea, Japan, Italy and China. I heard this will keep getting worst and China has decreased their daily cases only because of tough restriction on movement of people in the cities. If they remove those restrictions, their will be a spike again for the confirmed cases in China. I heard an expert talk about this, so am just summarising what was said.

Edited by DefCon1