The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's weird...those moments...I get it.  I have them too and they crash over me and create a volcano of "OMG what if's?". 

I take a veggie/produce bag and use it (I'm all out of wipes/gloves)....but I don't throw it in the parking lot as I see other discarded protection items....it goes straight into the trash on the outside of the store.  Environmentally not so great...but I get comfort.  I also sanitize my debit card...have a ziploc that I put it straight into in the car.  Keys too when I'm done.  It's a lot, so I try not to have to go out or do this stuff.

If I forget and am not in full blown anxiety mode, I sanitize and go straight home to wash.  I always take my shoes off outside (been doing so for years) and change downstairs into clean clothes.  Since a deadly rabbit virus was circulating, this has been my routine so I'm fairly well seasoned with this stuff.  Just more of the same.

The local grocery stores all have mandatory hand sanitizer stations at the entrance with security stationed to enforce it. The carts and totes are all disinfected after each use as an added precaution. Myself; I prefer to pay in cash so do not have to punch a keypad. I also have a lot of coinage in my pocket so can round up the tab without getting any change back. Have two very large change bins so should not run out for a long time. Other suggestions are welcome... unified and we can beat this.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's only presumed that the virus originated in Wuhan open market. There were several months leading up to the announcement of the virus getting known to the public so we don't even know if that's the origin.

They "claim" containment. Whether it's actually contained or not is what's in question. Isolated probably did help, but given their population and how fast it's supposedly gone down, I think that's where the doubt comes from. Also, note that the virus was not just in Wuhan. It spread to every other province in the country to an extent (although it is possible some of those were contained right away). Given their history of lying, that's where the problem arises. Fact is, we don't know what is the actual truth with China because they don't typically tell us the truth with most things.

but you seem to assume

that no information gets out of that country

that is not in fact true

cell phones and internet (and dark web) leak information from china

we have video of enforcement efforts in wuhan 

included welding front entry doors of buildings to keep people from going out

there is only a limited amount of complete information containment that china can do

if there was a lot more to the crisis in china

information about it would have leaked

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but you seem to assume

that is not in fact true

there is only a limited amount of complete information containment that china can do

Like that couragous doctor that they tried to silence  (they did silence him but word did get out about how his efforts to raise the alarms WAY BACK were ignored).

• Cheers 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

but you seem to assume

that is not in fact true

Not necessarily the case. The dark web houses a lot of different people including people who want to undermine the information on the dark web itself. Do you know what the dark web entails here? It's not as inaccessible to the government and crazies as you may think.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's not about whether it's happening or not. It's about the extent at which is happens. The difference in action between Canada and the US literally lays it out as fact the difference in the difference proper reaction makes, and it starts with the leadership. Trump's comments have hampered the ability for the US to react properly while Trudeau's allowed the important people to call the shots. That's the difference. That's why Trump's been perhaps one of the worst leaders in the world during this crisis.

Hence why this entire line of discussion I have been having is based on my opinion that Trudeau reacted far too late - yet was told he was acting on what "experts" told him - so Trudeau gets an excuse and Trump is raked over the coals.

Can you hear me now?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The local grocery stores all have mandatory hand sanitizer stations at the entrance with security stationed to enforce it. The carts and totes are all disinfected after each use as an added precaution. Myself; I prefer to pay in cash so do not have to punch a keypad. I also have a lot of coinage in my pocket so can round up the tab without getting any change back. Have two very large change bins so should not run out for a long time. Other suggestions are welcome... unified and we can beat this.

For my home deliveries, and it would apply to all grocery shopping, I unpack everything and put it in ‘isolation’ for several days.

This saves having to sanitize everything.   For produce, I have a fruit/veggie wash that I thoroughly  wash everything in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Hence why this entire line of discussion I have been having is based on my opinion that Trudeau reacted far too late - yet was told he was acting on what "experts" told him - so Trudeau gets an excuse and Trump is raked over the coals.

Can you hear me now?

meh, Bone Spurs STILL hasn't treated the problem seriously THIS VERY DAY.  You don't see the difference?  One is slow to react.  The other has his thumb up his ass.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not necessarily the case. The dark web houses a lot of different people including people who want to undermine the information on the dark web itself. Do you know what the dark web entails here? It's not as inaccessible to the government and crazies as you may think.

not sure why you want to deflect from the real topic

i am not really interested in discussing the dark web in this thread

but the china situation

including relevant information leaks

that keeps us updated on it no matter what the official messaging might be

i am particularly curious about china's longer term plan

to deal with the fact that the vast majority of its population has not been exposed to the virus

and is extremely vulnerable

their containment solution has created a bit of an unintended consequence

that the rest of their population is now a sitting time bomb awaiting exposure

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Vietnam era has classic songs like Fortunate Son.

My Sharona is the Covid 19 era song. 

Hearing My Sharona 20 years from now.. vivid flashbacks of the pandemic. 

I can't stand any song from the group Boston since 2011.:lol:

Just now, coastal.view said:

not sure why you want to deflect from the real topic

i am not really interested in discussing the dark web in this thread

but the china situation

including the relevant information leak

that keeps us updated on it no matter what the official messaging might be

i am particularly curious about china's longer term plan

to deal with the fact that the vast majority of its population has not been exposed to the virus

and is extremely vulnerable

their containment solution has created a bit of an unintended consequence

that the rest of their population is now a sitting time bomb awaiting exposure

I'm not deflecting. You're the one who brought up the dark web. I'm merely saying how that's not a reliable source to base information on. You seemed to want to use it as a way to prove the information is true. It's not in the end.

If you want to believe what China says is true, then go for it. No one's telling you otherwise. But I think China's looking to skew the numbers, possibly big time.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, Bone Spurs STILL hasn't treated the problem seriously THIS VERY DAY.  You don't see the difference?  One is slow to react.  The other has his thumb up his ass.

In an abrupt turnaround, U.S. President Donald Trump extended lockdown measures across the United States as deaths in New York from the new coronavirus passed 1,000. Spain on Monday became the third country to surpass China in infections after the United States and Italy.
In a stark reversal of his previous stance, Trump extended federal guidelines recommending that Americans stay home for another 30 days until the end of April to slow the spread of the virus. The turnabout came after Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said up to 200,000 Americans could die and millions become infected if lockdowns and social distancing did not continue.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/spain-passes-china-in-infections-trump-extends-us-lockdown/ar-BB11Ulls?ocid=spartanntp 

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not deflecting. You're the one who brought up the dark web. I'm merely saying how that's not a reliable source to base information on. You seemed to want to use it as a way to prove the information is true. It's not in the end.

If you want to believe what China says is true, then go for it. No one's telling you otherwise. But I think China's looking to skew the numbers, possibly big time.

do you even read

no idea how you get this statement from my posting

my posts directly deal with information leaking undermining the chinese official position

how you get to me believing the official position? 

i have no idea .....

really   :picard:

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem is Trump still isn't taking it seriously. That's why Trump is being raked over the coals. It's not about timing in this case and, if Trudeau wasn't taking things seriously, he'd also be raked.

Could Trudeau have reacted sooner? Sure, but so could everyone else. The Chinese government could have nipped this whole thing in the bud. They had that opportunity.

Quote from Trump March 17th:

"I mean, I have seen that, where people actually liked it. But I didn't feel different," he said at a White House press briefing. "I've always known, this is a real -- this is a real -- this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic. All you had to do was look at other countries...no, I've always viewed it as very serious. It was no difference yesterday from days before. I feel the tone is similar, but some people said it wasn't."

Sounds like he's taking it serious - that was 13 days ago...

Just now, Chicken. said:

That's great an all, but hearing things like how this thing will "be over in April" and consistently saying "it'll be over soon" before all of this. Did Trudeau say any of that?

All I have to say at the moment to that is "FINALLY!" and also "WHY JUST THERE?!" Lockdown everywhere to prevent other hotspots." He's literally trying to block holes in a boat after they fill up entire rooms below deck! lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Less than 13 days ago he wanted to re-open everything for business by Easter.;)  It all depends on the last despot he spoke over the phone.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Quote from Trump March 17th:

"I mean, I have seen that, where people actually liked it. But I didn't feel different," he said at a White House press briefing. "I've always known, this is a real -- this is a real -- this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic. All you had to do was look at other countries...no, I've always viewed it as very serious. It was no difference yesterday from days before. I feel the tone is similar, but some people said it wasn't."

Okay, then why didn't he lockdown then?

Actions speak louder than words.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1