The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I understand exactly what you are saying - what I don't understand is how hypocritical people can be.

You'll have to explain the "hypocrisy" that you're seeing, because I believe I just pointed out (as have several other posters) how Trump deserves to be viewed differently than most other political leaders.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Hypocritical in what way?

By cherry picking news events based on their personal bias.

Example, "Trudeau listens to experts" so he is good but Trump downplaying the Virus the past 2 months makes him an idiot.

Well, those so called experts in Canada stated at the end of January:

"In the wake of the announcement that Canada has confirmed its first “presumptive positive” case of coronavirus, health officials and experts are downplaying the severity of the virus, suggesting most cases could be mild."

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You'll have to explain the "hypocrisy" that you're seeing, because I believe I just pointed out (as have several other posters) how Trump deserves to be viewed differently than most other political leaders.

I can lead a horse to the water, but I can't make it drink.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

China’s numbers are fiction so in reality they probably still have hundreds of thousands of cases more.

That country needs a more transparent government. Sorry, I mean, a transparent government. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Heretic said:

Example, "Trudeau listens to experts" so he is good but Trump downplaying the Virus the past 2 months makes him an idiot.

"In the wake of the announcement that Canada has confirmed its first “presumptive positive” case of coronavirus, health officials and experts are downplaying the severity of the virus, suggesting most cases could be mild."

Okay, so how is it that your post of that Trump tweet not cherry picking (and if you don't think that's cherry picking I don't know what to tell you then)? Perhaps we're all hypocrites with that logic then. Might as well lump yourself with "us".

Like I said earlier, the reason why Trudeau's being praised is not due to having the best time, but a better time. Yes. He could have done better, but at least we've actually been taking action much sooner and not downplaying the issue.

Also, in January, it would have been harder to determine the extent of things. There were a lot of people not taking this thing seriously back then and we have to consider that.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That's great an all, but hearing things like how this thing will "be over in April" and consistently saying "it'll be over soon" before all of this. Did Trudeau say any of that?

All I have to say at the moment to that is "FINALLY!" and also "WHY JUST THERE?!" Lockdown everywhere to prevent other hotspots." He's literally trying to block holes in a boat after they fill up entire rooms below deck! lol

I don't recall Trudeau saying those things no.

As you mentioned, actions speak louder than words and we had planes flying into YVR from China up until a couple weeks ago... USA banned those flights since late Jan iirc... neither response has been perfect. The confirmed cases statistic is not a great measure for success as we are barely testing anyone up here, not sure how it is down there in regards to whom gets tested. 

That being said, I am happy with my countries response and wish the best for all. Hopefully Spain and Italy can get it under control sooner than later.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Okay, so how is it that your post of that Trump tweet not cherry picking (and if you don't think that's cherry picking I don't know what to tell you then)? Perhaps we're all hypocrites with that logic then. Might as well lump yourself with "us".

Like I said earlier, the reason why Trudeau's being praised is not due to having the best time, but a better time. Yes. He could have done better, but at least we've actually been taking action much sooner and not downplaying the issue.

Also, in January, it would have been harder to determine the extent of things. There were a lot of people not taking this thing seriously back then and we have to consider that.

In January/early Feb, the global strategy was to try and contain it to Wuhan, hence the sending of medical supplies etc from many countries.  All governments were slow to jump on it, but that's an easy thing to say in hindsight.  Since it became clear we were going to get hit, I have been moderately satisfied with our response to it.  Certainly I think JT has been a unifying, compassionate face to it all, like him or not.

I haven't been thrilled with BC's response to it however.

Just now, Chicken. said:

I don't recall Trudeau saying those things no.

As you mentioned, actions speak louder than words and we had planes flying into YVR from China up until a couple weeks ago... USA banned those flights since late Jan iirc... neither response has been perfect. The confirmed cases statistic is not a great measure for success as we are barely testing anyone up here, not sure how it is down there in regards to whom gets tested. 

That being said, I am happy with my countries response and wish the best for all. Hopefully Spain and Italy can get it under control sooner than later.

I think the reason why the US banned those Chinese flights earlier might have been partially due to "competition". I at least can't help but think there had to be ulterior motives to that but I could be mistaken and it could be my own bias coming into play. There were so many rascist Chinese comments coming out of Fox News at the time though. It was rather sickening (no pun intended).

36 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Quote from Trump March 17th:

"I mean, I have seen that, where people actually liked it. But I didn't feel different," he said at a White House press briefing. "I've always known, this is a real -- this is a real -- this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic. All you had to do was look at other countries...no, I've always viewed it as very serious. It was no difference yesterday from days before. I feel the tone is similar, but some people said it wasn't."

Sounds like he's taking it serious - that was 13 days ago...

This is last week:

This is 18 hours ago.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

In January/early Feb, the global strategy was to try and contain it to Wuhan, hence the sending of medical supplies etc from many countries.  All governments were slow to jump on it, but that's an easy thing to say in hindsight.  Since it became clear we were going to get hit, I have been moderately satisfied with our response to it.  Certainly I think JT has been a unifying, compassionate face to it all, like him or not.

I haven't been thrilled with BC's response to it however.

Thanks for the input. Makes sense why then Trudeau didn't react back then.

In terms of BC's response, I can only imagine how hard it is to make those decisions that affect everyone so I'm not really judging too harshly. It's such a fine line. I guess another question might be is there a "too soon" as well to react?

14 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Tone deaf.

Trump is a nihilist Russian asset conman Don.

Get it together bud.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Thanks for the input. Makes sense why then Trudeau didn't react back then.

In terms of BC's response, I can only imagine how hard it is to make those decisions that affect everyone so I'm not really judging too harshly. It's such a fine line. I guess another question might be is there a "too soon" as well to react?

Nor am I..........I was very frustrated with BC's soft approach to social distancing, appealing to the altruistic nature of humans, a naive approach, obviously.  They should have been more forceful after a day or two when it was glaringly obvious much of the population wasn't going to play ball with isolation and social distancing.  We are going to pay a price for that in a week or two, imo.  That said, it's been better in the last week.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

China’s numbers are fiction so in reality they probably still have hundreds of thousands of cases more.

Maybe... but a dictatorship can shut things down substantially more quickly and more effectively than a democratic nation. 

The fact that China is shipping vast amounts of PPE out of their country and starting to get things back online tells me that their numbers may not be as bad as the western world is making them out to be.  We're just used to how slow things happen over here vs how quickly they can happen in China. 

Remember, they constructed multiple temporary hospitals in mere days to battle this thing.  They also mass produce equipment faster than any other nation on Earth.

Just because USA and Italy (and others) are struggling more than China doesn't necessarily mean China doesn't (or didn't) have this thing under control way faster than we expected.  South Korea is another example.  Nobody is calling them out for getting things under control.  Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Nor am I..........I was very frustrated with BC's soft approach to social distancing, appealing to the altruistic nature of humans, a naive approach, obviously.  They should have been more forceful after a day or two when it was glaringly obvious much of the population wasn't going to play ball with isolation and social distancing.  We are going to pay a price for that in a week or two, imo.  That said, it's been better in the last week.

Would being more forceful have made a difference though would be my question. Not saying it wouldn't make a difference at all. I'm sure it would, but the people who weren't going to take things seriously would likely still have needed time to take things seriously. Even now. I still see the odd post on facebook or elsewhere about someone not taking it seriously. There are even people who think this whole thing is a hoax.

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yet, people are saying Trump has been downplaying for 2 months - that takes us back to January as well.

Look, for Pete's sake, I'm NOT defending Trump, I think he's an idiot too - I just hate seeing people hate one person more than another when all are to blame.

Just look at what some here post time and time again against me - only because I offer a different view.

It doesn't really bother me - but it proves my point - even those that blindly follow and make a derogatory like because of what someone else replied back to me.

I don't expect everyone to get it.  But most, (like you) have some intelligence.

• Cheers 1