The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Toews said:

And I want to know why those mistakes were made? Whether it was just human error or did someone deliberately ignore/suppress something at the direction of someone else. What was known by the WHO and when they knew it is important to me. The same questions should be asked about the CCP and whether they delayed in their co-operation with the WHO. Did the CCP have data/info that they for whatever reason chose not to share or shared far too late? It is important that there be accountability for the entire cast of characters here. Its far too easy to focus on the loudest idiot in the room.

It seems many in this thread just want to forgive the WHO's actions for whatever reason.

WHO claimed that China was truthful in their numbers. Well, how can they make such a claim if they didn't investigate? If they did investigate, then they should've known that the numbers were false.

Whether it was neglect or corruption, in either case the WHO should be held accountable. Their actions were inexcusable, and cost lives.

I find it quite puzzling how not everyone wants answers on this.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It seems many in this thread just want to forgive the WHO's actions for whatever reason.

WHO claimed that China was truthful in their numbers. Well, how can they make such a claim if they didn't investigate? If they did investigate, then they should've known that the numbers were false.

Whether it was neglect or corruption, in either case the WHO should be held accountable. Their actions were inexcusable, and cost lives.

I find it quite puzzling how not everyone wants answers on this.

I think your expectations about what the reach of the WHO are unrealistic.  They can't force countries to play ball.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think your expectations about what the reach of the WHO are unrealistic.  They can't force countries to play ball.

Right, but they can control the information they spread. In their case, they gave out false information, and were slow to declare this as a pandemic.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, smokes said:

Hey everyone, so one issue that I don't think people talk enough about is that even when the quarantine is over, there still might be silent carriers meaning there are many people who can be infected with the virus yet show no symptoms of being sick. People with type O blood are like this because they are the least likely to get sick or show symptoms from what statistics show. 

This is why a vaccine or a medicine that effectively treats it are the only long term solutions. 

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Right, but they can control the information they spread. In their case, they gave out false information, and were slow to declare this as a pandemic.

Countries were given full disclosure all along.  There is no criteria for "Pandemic" declarations by WHO and they always wait until they have so as to not incite panic.  Countries were well informaed of the seriousness of it, regardless of any declaration.  They finally declared it because the countries weren't taking it seriously, despite WHO's warnings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/11/who-declares-pandemic-coronavirus-disease-covid-19/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Countries were given full disclosure all along.  There is no criteria for "Pandemic" declarations by WHO and they always wait until they have so as to not incite panic.  Countries were well informaed of the seriousness of it, regardless of any declaration.  They finally declared it because the countries weren't taking it seriously, despite WHO's warnings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/11/who-declares-pandemic-coronavirus-disease-covid-19/

Do you consider China's false information as full disclosure? Because that's what they were telling countries initially.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Easy to say everything you're saying from your armchair. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you have a link for that Smokes? this is the first time I've head of a blood type association. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200320/blood-type-may-affect-covid19-risk-study

March 20, 2020 -- A person's blood type may affect their risk for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, researchers report.

They analyzed blood samples from nearly 2,200 COVID-19 patients in China and tens of thousands of healthy people, and found those with A blood types had a significantly higher risk of COVID-19 while those with O blood types had a significantly lower risk, Newsweek reported.

The findings appear on the website medRxiv, where health researchers publish studies before they undergo the peer review process required by journals.

The researchers said blood type-related differences in COVID-19 risk may be due to certain antibodies in the blood, but further studies are needed to confirm this, Newsweek reported.

The finding that blood type may affect COVID-19 risk could be important for healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients, because those with A blood types" "might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection."

Also, people with A blood types might require "more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment," and identifying a person's blood type as a routine part of treating COVID-19 and other coronavirus infections might be helpful, according to the researchers, Newsweek reported.

The study was limited because of its small size and it didn't offer an explanation for its findings, Gao Yingdai, a researcher from the State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology in Tianjin, told the South China Morning Post.

The study "may be helpful to medical professionals, but ordinary citizens should not take the statistics too seriously," said Gao,who did not work on the study, Newsweek reported.

"If you are type A, there is no need to panic. It does not mean you will be infected 100 percent," she said, addingm "If you are type O, it does not mean you are absolutely safe, either. You still need to wash your hands and follow the guidelines issued by authorities."

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Inciting panic is a bogus excuse frequently given out by authoritarian governments to justify lying to their populace. Tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Transparency is what we need going forward not comforting lies and half-truths. An article was posted earlier by RupertKBD regarding trust between law enforcement and the general public, the same should go for the mouthpiece of the WHO whose words were distributed widely by multiple news organizations all over the world. We are lucky that we live in a country with somewhat competent leaders, there are countries where that is not the case. Your disregard is easy as a Canadian, not so much when you are living in a third world country with elected politicians who have never even held a science textbook let alone have an understanding of microbiology.

We are now facing a situation where its an eventuality that people will die who shouldn't have died who have never died before. People will lose their homes/businesses so yes I want accountability. Its the least that we can hope for going forward. 

Edited by Toews
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Why is tribal land exempt from stay at home orders?

Report: UFC 249 Location Revealed

https://www.mmanews.com/report-ufc-249-location-revealed/

Since this location is on tribal land, that makes the stay-at-home order in California exempt for UFC 249. The UFC also won’t have to adhere to the Californa State Athletic Commission.

Monkey knife fights have been doing this out at sea for decades. No laws out there!

Ive got an idea, the NHL could play in Antarctica since no one owns it. Or rent an air craft carrier float it out into the middle of the Pacific and build a rink on it.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Monkey knife fights have been doing this out at sea for decades. No laws out there!

Ive got an idea, the NHL could play in Antarctica since no one owns it. Or rent an air craft carrier float it out into the middle of the Pacific and build a rink on it.

Naw they would have too much trouble tilting ice like they do now. :frantic:

17 minutes ago, smokes said:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200320/blood-type-may-affect-covid19-risk-study

March 20, 2020 -- A person's blood type may affect their risk for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, researchers report.

They analyzed blood samples from nearly 2,200 COVID-19 patients in China and tens of thousands of healthy people, and found those with A blood types had a significantly higher risk of COVID-19 while those with O blood types had a significantly lower risk, Newsweek reported.

The findings appear on the website medRxiv, where health researchers publish studies before they undergo the peer review process required by journals.

The researchers said blood type-related differences in COVID-19 risk may be due to certain antibodies in the blood, but further studies are needed to confirm this, Newsweek reported.

The finding that blood type may affect COVID-19 risk could be important for healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients, because those with A blood types" "might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection."

Also, people with A blood types might require "more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment," and identifying a person's blood type as a routine part of treating COVID-19 and other coronavirus infections might be helpful, according to the researchers, Newsweek reported.

The study was limited because of its small size and it didn't offer an explanation for its findings, Gao Yingdai, a researcher from the State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology in Tianjin, told the South China Morning Post.

The study "may be helpful to medical professionals, but ordinary citizens should not take the statistics too seriously," said Gao,who did not work on the study, Newsweek reported.

"If you are type A, there is no need to panic. It does not mean you will be infected 100 percent," she said, addingm "If you are type O, it does not mean you are absolutely safe, either. You still need to wash your hands and follow the guidelines issued by authorities."

All the more reason why they should test for blood type anytime a doctor requests any blood work done.  I am 40yo and still don't know my blood type, nor does my doctor.  

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

For those who are about to renew their mortgages during this pandemic - variable or fixed?

Unprecedented accumulative drop': Unusual mortgage rate landscape created by COVID

Ian Bickis The Canadian Press Published Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:02PM PDT

VANCOUVER -- Uncertainty is everywhere in the financial world these days as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads, and that's translating into big swings in mortgage rates and challenges in how to navigate borrowing for a home.

Given the lack of economic clarity, brokers says it's important to keep a close eye on rates if you're in the market, since they could continue to fluctuate widely and banks take different approaches to fixed and variable rates.

Fixed rates started to fall noticeably in late February as the bond market reacted to the economic threat of the virus. Then in early March, the Bank of Canada followed the U.S. Federal Reserve in slashing rates by 50 basis points, and then did so again in mid-March and added another taper at the end of the month.

"What we saw in the past, let's just say three weeks, was a unprecedented accumulative drop in that key rate of over one and a half per cent," said Toma Sojonky, a mortgage adviser in Vancouver.

The key central bank rate cut, which has pushed the prime rate from 3.95 per cent to 2.45 per cent, has made variable rates lower and mortgages more affordable.

"This could be good news for one element of the Canadians' pocketbook, but it's reflective of what of course is going on economically," said Sojonky.

Banks haven't passed on the full reduction of the prime rate in variable mortgages though because of the economic uncertainty and concerns about their liquidity, or the amount of money they have to lend out, as Canadians deposit fewer paycheques.

"Banks are at risk to have liquidity and potentially insolvency, and so banks have to maintain a percentage of liquidity or cash," said Sojonky.

The increasingly cloudy economic picture that has pushed the prime rate down has also led banks to reverse their cuts to fixed rates and instead push them up, even to levels that were higher than when the crisis began, as banks become more cautious about lending and liquidity.

Rising fixed rates as prime rates fall is unusual, and reflective of how much uncertainty banks have on the direction of the economy, said James Laird, co-founder of Ratehub.ca and president of CanWise Financial.

"They don't have a good feeling for how sharp the economic downturn is going to be, what our unemployment rate will get to, how quickly will we bounce back from it. So they're building a higher risk premium into this fixed rate than what you would see during more usual times."

Fixed rates could look more attractive when the world gets the pandemic under control, and the challenge becomes a more straightforward economic one, said Laird.

"The more we get into a regular recession, which people understand, you can expect that risk premium to disappear from fixed rates."

But if borrowers think that the crisis will be protracted, then they should probably stick with variable rates for now, he said.

"If they think it's going to be long and they think we're going to get into a deep recession here, variable rate is the way to go because it will stay very low while we are in this mess."

Because variable rates are now generally lower than fixed rates, a switch from the situation for the past year, Sojonky recommends those shopping for new mortgage or renewing one to go for a variable rate.

The option also has the advantage of having generally lower penalties than fixed-rate mortgages for breaking a mortgage, which quite a few Canadians end up doing, said Sojonky.

Variable-rate mortgage holders should then watch the market closely for changes in the outlook, or develop a good relation with a broker, to be ready to lock in a fixed rate if things change quickly.

"The good thing about variable rate mortgages is their optionality. And that as a fallback, Canadians have the option of locking into a fixed rate term."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 7, 2020.

• Thanks 1

I'm on a well. It's water is really high in minerals, so I use a water tower for my drinking supply.

I went to fill up my two 18L bottles at the dispenser at QF. 

"Out of Order"

The sales clerk didn't know why, so I called the company, Glacier.  They informed me that all their machines in Canada have been shut down. They didn't give a reason and said it was not their decision. 

My question is, why? 

The dispensing nozzle is in the machine and has a safety guard that slides down before it releases the water. The only part humans touch are the buttons on the face of the machine.

It sent my mind down a road of questions that I haven't heard complete definitive answers to yet.

Unlikely but...

-Can it transfer via droplets to other animal species? (how did the tiger get it? can birds?....you know things that fly!)

-Can you get it twice? (or is it like other flu's and you build immunity but this one is hard to detect sometimes, so people could think they're over it and they're not. Then they spread it some more.)

-Is it mutating? (are there worse strains coming?)

- And today's question...Can it survive in water, could it contaminate a water supply?