The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Interesting that on the news last night they were talking about how times like these, and war, always introduce new government taxes or policies that are meant to be temporary but end up becoming permanent. Such as income tax. That wasn't even a thing until WW1 and was meant to fuel the war effort. Of course once the government saw how much they were siphoning from the people for exercising their own blood, sweat, and toil, they decided to keep it in place. So if your super liberal cousin at the virtual Easter dinner tries to argue income tax is just, drop that historical doozy on him - because it appears society functioned just fine without it. The news hinted at we could expect the possibility of 'mandatory testing' going forward, data mining, data collection which means an even closer following of where people are moving about, also with the possibility of new taxes because none of this is free. Which I laughed at the latter because look how broke people are in this country if they can't go a month without facing bankruptcy or eviction - and in theory the government could propose new taxes in an effort to stem something like this from ever happening again in the capacity it has.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Interesting that on the news last night they were talking about how times like these, and war, always introduce new government taxes or policies that are meant to be temporary but end up becoming permanent. Such as income tax.

there's no way whatsoever that in about a year, we don't see the GST go to 8%, maybe 9. And it will be called temporary too. 

But there isn't much choice, its the only way to pay off the $120 billion we're spending right now to keep things from completely collapsing. And at least its relatively fair in the sense that the more you buy the more you pay, and really low income people will be shielded from it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I could go Vegetarian. I only eat chicken and fish meat anyway.

I don't know about going Vegan though. It would be hard to give up dairy.

I think I could as well, or at least clam-aterian anyway. Is there a word for vegetarians that also eat shellfish? I figure if it doesn't have a face its fair game.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

https://trib.al/CJzVWA3CJzVWA3

Were in this for the long haul folks

Truth be told, I'd have a hard time rushing out into crowds and will be wary for some time of shared spaces/things.  Just how it is.

Personal space has never been so important and I'm ok with that.

The only thing I will really hate is having to give up my Church of Sports.  Ugh.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I could as well, or at least clam-aterian anyway. Is there a word for vegetarians that also eat shellfish? I figure if it doesn't have a face its fair game.  

Haha, I often jokingly say ' I only eat ugly animals'....then the debate comes about if a chicken is cute or not.

There's lots of clam digging here in Nanoose. The bay has long tidal flats. It's been busy lately. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I could go Vegetarian. I only eat chicken and fish meat anyway.

I don't know about going Vegan though. It would be hard to give up dairy.

I'm inching my way there....3 out of 4 of my peoples are full on vegetarian...2 near vegan.  The fourth is a die hard meat eater who's now only eating it once in awhile.  I, too, have a hard time completely giving it up...but I don't buy it for myself.  If Dad cooks something and sends it my way...I'm not turning it down.

Vegan is tough.  But the more I learn about milk (women's risk of breast cancer skyrockets with the consumption of it), the more I steer (pun?) away from it.  I love it though...really tough.  Milk and cookies?  Come onnn.  And the vegan cheese I've tasted is crap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Haha, I often jokingly say ' I only eat ugly animals'....then the debate comes about if a chicken is cute or not.

There's lots of clam digging here in Nanoose. The bay has long tidal flats. It's been busy lately. 

you'd lose that one. Have you ever seen the fancy chickens at the farm at the PNE? those things look amazing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Admittedly I didn't read the article, but did it not say that type AB had the lowest blood type representation?

seems AB blood types got the virus at just a bit more than their blood type would expect.    9% of Wuhan has AB blood, but AB blood made up 10 % of infections.

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks Smokes. Unfortunately they don't say what "significant" means in the abstract. But I did find a Forbes article starting the difference - I don't like posting the Forbes one but that all I could find. The study authors did say that no one should use this for clinical decisions, just to keep studying to see if this is really a thing. 

As outlined in the study, the normal population in Wuhan has a blood type distribution of:

• Type A - 31% 
  • Type B - 24% 
  • Type AB - 9%
  • Type O - 34%

Comparatively, Wuhan residents who had contracted COVID-19 had a blood type distribution of: 

• Type A - 38% 
  • Type B - 26%
  • Type AB - 10%
  • Type O - 25%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/20/what-the-relationship-between-blood-type-and-coronavirus-susceptibility-means-for-future-treatments/#7c6c91d6677c

• Cheers 1

since it seems like we're all headed to vegetarianism this am, here's something that I've been using thats takes veggie burgers to the next level - vegan "Worcestershire" sauce"https://www.karissasvegankitchen.com/vegan-worcestershire-sauce/

I added 1/4 a cup of marmite and 1/4 cup of molasses to it which makes it amazing stuff. Put this into any bean-based burger if you feel like experimenting during our lock down. It adds a terrific meatiness to bean burgers or to veggie 'ground beef' for tacos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1