The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If the NDP and Greens ever get their sh!t together and unite into one party, the Cons will be relegated to third party status.

Not sure about that. The electorate in most countries has been turning right for sometime and this disaster is only going to hasten it.   Immigration, job loss were blamed on neo-liberal policies and now you got this virus that people will rightly blame on globalism. This is going to push out people like Trudeau.  It was already happening as evidenced by the last election.

People who have written off Trump should brace themselves.  He won with 40 some plus percent of the vote and he has that right now.  Some suspect that his winning game could be an anti-China campaign.  Remember he has been consistent about China for some time and now he has the virus to work with  Who knows but if the economy shows some life in the fall and Biden's competency questions get worse I would be braced for it.  In the US it is electoral votes.   

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, samurai said:

Not sure about that. The electorate in most countries has been turning right for sometime and this disaster is only going to hasten it.   Immigration, job loss were blamed on neo-liberal policies and now you got this virus that people will rightly blame on globalism. This is going to push out people like Trudeau.  It was already happening as evidenced by the last election.

People who have written off Trump should brace themselves.  He won with 40 some plus percent of the vote and he has that right now.  Some suspect that his winning game could be an anti-China campaign.  Remember he has been consistent about China for some time and now he has the virus to work with  Who knows but if the economy shows some life in the fall and Biden's competency questions get worse I would be braced for it.  In the US it is electoral votes.   

Not a monarchy there though.  Key is not just the executive branch but the Senate (to stack the Supreme Court if the opportunity presents itself) & Congress.  It's built into their system to be able to work WITH the various branches of government (vs just trying to bully them).   McGovern got slaughtered by Nixon yet still got 37.5% of the vote.   40+% ain't that high a bar to beat.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not a monarchy there though.  Key is not just the executive branch but the Senate (to stack the Supreme Court if the opportunity presents itself) & Congress.  It's built into their system to be able to work WITH the various branches of government (vs just trying to bully them).   McGovern got slaughtered by Nixon yet still got 37.5% of the vote.   40+% ain't that high a bar to beat.

Sorry, I mean electoral college.  My point being that people should not right him off (I wish they could).  But yes, the Senate could fall into Dem control and keep the house.   

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Sorry, I mean electoral college.  My point being that people should not right him off (I wish they could).  But yes, the Senate could fall into Dem control and keep the house.   

I've argued this crisis was tailor made for him to WIN re-election with relative ease.  In such a situation, I've always felt (and still) the nation would rally behind the 'leader'.  All he had to do was do what Doug Ford (another REAL populist conservatiive unlike him) did.  Or forget Ford & look other political leaders of countries that did this.  Show compassion/be human/let the experts do their job.  His ego won't allow that.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

the Cons are already a regional party, same as the bloc.  As long as they stay on the social conservatism track they will become more and more irrelevant.  I know many lifelong Con voters who are turning their backs on them for their socially conservative, big government American style politics.  Canadians aren't socially conservative, they want fiscal conservatism.

Depends how you define socially conservative and what it relates to.  

7 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

I don't care for Trump. He's not my leader. 

What I stated is a fact. Some people have no education when it comes to what the media spews out.  How informed would this planet be REALLY... if the media actually told the truth  or news. 

Trump did not say the Virus was a hoax like many believe.

AND When Trump sarcastically mentioned bleach injection... some people took him seriously.  whats more pathetic...lol 

You know what... that's the human race for you. 

So basically you expect people to know sarcasm when they see it?

You really don't know how humans work do you. Sarcasm isn't always picked up. It doesn't matter if someone is smart or not, sarcasm is NEVER a good thing to be using in public. Of course people aren't going to know any better and you'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to expect people NOT to take something like that seriously. You're talking millions, if not BILLIONS of people. Do you seriously expect billions of people to take sarcasm seriously?

Trump's sarcasm could literally kill people who don't know any better.

I'm going to be honest. I'm kind of dumbfounded you would actually think what you just said is a legitimate excuse for what happened. You can't be that far from reality... But hey, I guess I'm giving you the same credit as you're giving everyone else.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I've argued this crisis was tailor made for him to WIN re-election with relative ease.  In such a situation, I've always felt (and still) the nation would rally behind the 'leader'.  All he had to do was do what Doug Ford (another REAL populist conservatiive unlike him) did.  Or forget Ford & look other political leaders of countries that did this.  Show compassion/be human/let the experts do their job.  His ego won't allow that.

I actually thought the crisis would be his undoing, but now  I think the fact that the projections of fatalities were way off and he has flipped that on to the dems and it being a virus originating in China (trade enemy) that this offers him a potentially winning narrative unfortunately.  Hopefully, I am wrong.

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So basically you expect people to know sarcasm when they see it?

You really don't know how humans work do you. Sarcasm isn't always picked up. It doesn't matter if someone is smart or not, sarcasm is NEVER a good thing to be using in public. Of course people aren't going to know any better and you'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to expect people NOT to take something like that seriously. You're talking millions, if not BILLIONS of people. Do you seriously expect billions of people to take sarcasm seriously?

Trump's sarcasm could literally kill people who don't know any better.

I'm going to be honest. I'm kind of dumbfounded you would actually think what you just said is a legitimate excuse for what happened. You can't be that far from reality... But hey, I guess I'm giving you the same credit as you're giving everyone else.

he was talking directly to the doctors about cleaning the lungs, or injecting the body, with sanitizer. It’s on tape. There was no sarcasm.

He also claimed “sarcasm” when he said “Noble” instead of “Nobel” when the actual word he was looking for was “Pulitzer”.... he doesn’t understand his own words. 

although, it might make for a good comedy, satire or sarcastic joke... it was nothing of the sort. It was real.

Edited by Canorth
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Every single person either born or live in alberta are conservatives/ trump supporters?

Like i said Disrespectful Troll

Keep trying though KOS

You don't think Alberta votes Conservative.. ?  Who are you trying to kid ?    Are you even old enough to vote ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You don't think Alberta votes Conservative.. ?  Who are you trying to kid ?    Are you even old enough to vote ?

This discussion is useless with you. 

You just repeatedly prove my point.

But ill leave this here..I should add, you go bigger tho and just go after an entire Province/Birthplace of people

Trolling is defined as posting with the intent of annoying or provoking a negative reaction from other users. We realize this can be a grey issue in many cases, and moderators will use their discretion and judgment to sort situations out.

Have a good day KOS