The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

So either drink bleach or wait for a vaccine.

Still no nutritional advice or any real health information from the government on how to keep your body healthy  With people listening in closely everyday, you would think this would be a good time to give that advice and build your peoples immune systems for this current virus and any future viruses.

The WHO lied and has already been exposed.. More exposures will come in the following months

People already have all kinds of information on how to keep the body healthy....it's everywhere.  

During a pandemic with a novel coronavirus, Government officials are solely focused there - on giving updates and information that isn't "old news" ...they're relaying new news.  Not sure our resources need to be used recycling information that's been common knowledge for anyone who cares to seek it out.

Also...people are easily confused and the potential bleach injectors may also feel that they will be "safe" if they boost their immune systems.  Let their guard down with a false sense of security if their Government focuses there (rather than things we can do in an immediate move to help contain this thing).  An overall healthy lifestyle is no secret to helping the immune system...it just isn't a crash course where you can do two days because there's a coronavirus circulating and you're good to go.  "Lifestyle" being key in that.

Good immune systems can help fight viruses but they don't guarantee to protect against contracting them or even potentially dying from them.  Sure...boost your odds but don't rest on that as "the answer".  The Government is currently engaged in giving us the answers that they seem to feel will best protect us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I feel like there is enough reinforcement of the importance of diet and exercise to long term health. The problem is getting people in North America to follow a plan, most people are (to be frank) weak on will power and have resistance to "being told what to do". The message you are promoting likely just falls on deaf ears. 

There is a huge difference in the amount of messaging too.  The government simply isn't in the advertising business.  So, we get bombarded by messages for junk food and barely any for the Canada Food plan.

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Relaying new news?  Like wash your hands and keep distance from people?   Now that is common knowledge.. much more common than the knowledge of Vitamin A for example and the compromised immune system.

Common knowledge needs to be reiterated.... you said it yourself, a strong body can help fight infection, so this should be embedded into every citizens head should it not

And i am NOT resting on that as the answer nor have i ever done that.

As far as I know there is currently no evidence that supplements boost the immune system. Beyond a healthy diet and lifestyle we are pretty much at the mercy of our own genetics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So, we get bombarded by messages for junk food and barely any for the Canada Food plan.

One thing I have never understood. You can get some income tax deductions for medical procedures, so why can't you get income tax deductions for signing up for, and being successful at, weight loss plans, gym training, and son on?

10 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Its a matter of perspective really.  Many, many idiots in America. But there are also many, many college educated people in America as well.  It's a very polarizing population here.

It's pretty much 1/1 on both extremes with a fair middle ground imo. Sadly the idiots as in many public forums Are always the loudest. See: Reddit, Twitter, Youtube comment sections etc..

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Relaying new news?  Like wash your hands and keep distance from people?   Now that is common knowledge.. much more common than the knowledge of Vitamin A for example and the compromised immune system.

Common knowledge needs to be reiterated.... you said it yourself, a strong body can help fight infection, so this should be embedded into every citizens head should it not

"Social distancing" IS new information.  Washing your hands is the number one protection in this so yes, constantly reminding people is important.  We're talking about things you can do to protect yourself and an immune system is called upon to "fight" viruses...meaning you'd already have it.  They're "called upon" as a response measure.

The Government is focused on people not spreading/sharing the virus.  That's the number one message right now because it's an urgent one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I don’t believe it...I agree with the 5th line. A little more advertising for health would be good and give us a break from the  saturation of Covid stories. 

I guess you missed my point in the first post.

People literally need to be told, NOT to drink bleach but yet we are assuming that everyone knows why and how to keep their immune systems healthy?  

Only the dipsh!ts who think Donald Trump knows what he's talking about....

...if you find yourself in that company then you should really start wearing helmet everywhere you go, in addition to a facemask.....

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

I had a friend who thought that we were given only so many heartbeats in our lifetime, different for every person. For that reason, he never jogged for he thought that he was using up his heartbeats quicker. Whereas sleeping used up fewest heartbeats. LOL.

Sounds like a certain orange hued president....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

How does the importance of diet and exercise and north american"s being weak on will power not coincide with one another?  Obviously people need things driven in to their heads, like you say.  Do you know what people are doing right now?  Sitting at home eating take-out and junk food while not getting regular exercise.   If the government tries branding nutritional knowledge into peoples minds everyday at 3pm or whenever it is... what's the hurt?  What is the downside other than it might fall on some deaf ears?  People need to be told everyday to stay inside?  We're not smart enough to do that but 'we all understand the bodies system and how to properly stay healthy? 

How do you know that this is the case? 

I don't think too many people will disagree with your idea of giving the public greater information about nutrition. I think your message gets lost / glossed over because it is often wrapped in this idea that people are not getting exercise and are being told to stay inside. I'm walking my dog 4-5 times a day, going for runs, etc. and I frequently see others out and about and managing distance at the same time. 

I'm not saying people are all being healthy; I'm just saying that I don't think you have enough information to be coming to the conclusions that you are making. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Where do you live that you aren't being told to stay inside?  

Like you say we don't know if people are getting enough exercise so it should be reiterated anyways.  You can't just walk your dog and then convince yourself everybody is okay. 

If the whole country is told to stay inside, gyms are closed etc...naturally there will be less exercise going on.  Sorry I don't have the data for that but come on it's just common sense.  Not to mention the rain has arrived.  How many people are getting their exercise today?

Except you're being told to practice social distancing and only go shopping for essentials when necessary. They're not saying only stay inside and eat junk food... I don't understand why that is so difficult for you to grasp wadr 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Like you say we don't know if people are getting enough exercise so it should be reiterated anyways.  You can't just walk your dog and then convince yourself everybody is okay. 

If the whole country is told to stay inside...naturally there will be less exercise going on.  Sorry I don't have the data for that but come on it's just common sense.  

Our PHO has told us to limit our close interactions with people and that means staying at home as much as possible.  She did encourage people to take some time to go out for a walk or jog and get some fresh air.  What the PHO does not want us to do is to make too many trips to go shopping, social gatherings, travelling to other communities, congregating in groups and generally situations where the risk of transmissions are high.  So exercising in the outdoors is encouraged, just do so responsibly

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Our PHO has told us to limit our close interactions with people and that means staying at home as much as possible.  She did encourage people to take some time to go out for a walk or jog and get some fresh air.  What the PHO does not want us to do is to make too many trips to go shopping, social gatherings, travelling to other communities, congregating in groups and generally situations where the risk of transmissions are high.  So exercising in the outdoors is encouraged, just do so responsibly

You live in a Vietnamese restaurant?:unsure:

• Haha 1

How does the importance of diet and exercise and north american"s being weak on will power not coincide with one another?  Obviously people need things driven in to their heads, like you say.  Do you know what people are doing right now?  Sitting at home eating take-out and junk food while not getting regular exercise.   

Those people often know the consequences but they choose to ignore them.  

During a worldwide crisis...you dilute the message if there are too many.  Our leaders have been focused, concise and concentrated on how to prevent the spread of this virus.  The rest is up to us to research because they are keeping it simple for a reason.  Look what happens when a leader "meanders".  All sorts of "mixed" messages get taken from that.

Just like you wouldn't expect leaders updating on flood situations to start promoting swimming lessons....promoting health is an ongoing thing but, right now, they're cutting to the chase and how, best, to keep this thing contained.  

• Cheers 3

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

You live in a Vietnamese restaurant?:unsure:

Provincial Health Officer Lol.  When I first saw that Acronym being used, Noodles was what I though as well.

Man, you just reminded me how much I miss a good hot bowl of PHO eaten at the restaurant.  Take out is never the same.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If the whole country is told to stay inside, gyms are closed etc...naturally there will be less exercise going on.  Sorry I don't have the data for that but come on it's just common sense.  Not to mention the rain has arrived.  How many people are getting their exercise today?

My point about walking the dog was to show you that my anecdotal evidence is not better or worse than yours... but it does show that you are wrong to make conclusions that everyone is staying inside and nobody is getting exercise. 

You keep acting like saying that "the whole country is told to stay inside" is magically going to become true.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

You seem to be accusing me of defiance against the distancing/hand washing rules?  and that I think Dr Henry shouldn't mention these rules either? 

I'm wondering why they can't take a short time out of their day to mention something about nutritional health.  They speak to the public every day

Just an idea, 5th, (and I'm not being facetious) why not ask that question of the people in authority, rather than wonder about it on a message board?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2