The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Favourite part....

Can it stop coronavirus?

No. There is no evidence that it reduces the risk of catching or getting ill with coronavirus.

Catching the virus, no it won't help

Recovering from the virus, could help. Not a sure bet ofc.

Some researchers have suggested that vitamin D deficiency might be linked with poorer outcomes if someone catches coronavirus. But other underlying risk factors, such as heart disease, are common in these patients too, making it hard to draw conclusions. 

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm not as impressed with Bonnie Henry as many are. She's like the Judd Brackett of the COVID crisis. She's doing a very good job, but she's not some saviour and has faults in this crisis; one of which being highly passive with her message to BCers, and second of which being that I think she puts too much trust in the general public to do the right thing. I don't think it'll be long before we see a flare up in cases and then we're back to isolating for a couple of months. Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong. 

All of my BC friends and acquaintances seem to lack a sense of urgency regarding the matters presented before us. BC is intrinsically more laid back as a culture due to less people, more space and a West Coast mentality.

In Toronto, there’s a high alertness. People have become hyper aware of both obedience as well as in defiance.

I think “putting too much trust in the public” may be a Canada-wide phenomenon based on the idea of freedom and rights.

Unfortunately as well as fortunately... we are not the type of culture that can fully shut down and wait it out, even though we probably should.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

image.thumb.png.944034ccdac7b9acfd0e27872fc5be3f.png

Russia and Brazil got a big problem.

Detailed Canada numbers here --------> https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

Brazil and Russia are very interesting cases.  In complete denial up until not too long ago iirc now scrambling. the Brazil testing per population is atrocious. and Russia's death toll numbers must be flubbed as bad as China.

Nice to see Italy trending in the right direction at least as they were hit hardest first. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

All of my BC friends and acquaintances seem to lack a sense of urgency regarding the matters presented before us. In Toronto, there’s a high alertness. BC is intrinsically more laid back as a culture. Less people, more space. 

People have become hyper aware un both obedience as well as in defiance.

I think “putting too much trust in the public” may be a Canad-side phenomenon based on the idea of freedom and rights.

Unfortunately as well as fortunately... we are not the type of culture that can fully shut down and wait it out, even though we probably should.

Horgan is on right now and being assertive, as he does, and that's the message Henry needs to do more of, is all I'm saying. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Favorite part, nobody here said otherwise.  

Keep digging you will find plenty of correlation.  I've posted numerous sources 

But why specifically is Vitamin D important?    You wont answer the question

Yeah everybody line up to go see your doctor right now because that won't be an issue at all.....

5 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

That's just silly. People from the same household shouldn't need to social distance from each other out in public. If one of these people are asymptomatic then they've already infected the entire household by now so that is a moot point. Social distancing from other groups I can understand... 

Maybe you're talking about the expanded bubble that I've heard about?

Many people now hanging out just say they’re from the same household. “We live together”.

Well, when you live together, you don’t have a “catch up” type conversation. If you listen carefully, you can find out pretty quick if they live together or if they’re hanging out.

Not always... but many a times.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

University here announced majority of Fall classes will be online. Presumably regardless of what happens with the virus. 

SFU will have virtually all classes held online... exceptions will be small classes with labs and possibly some graduate classes. 

It could vary from department to department, and university to university, but most lectures will be asynchronous. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not sure you're being fair here. Its not like BC has an additional 10,000 police officers to enforce all the rules. This is one of those all carrot no stick management problems. All she had was the ability to try to gain the trust of enough of us to get control of the outbreak, and she did that quite well. 

You call it "highly passive" but the fact is there really wasn't any other option. 

Akin to the bell ringing, the kids rushing out of the school and the teacher trying to give last instructions.

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

SFU will have virtually all classes held online... exceptions will be small classes with labs and possibly some graduate classes. 

It could vary from department to department, and university to university, but most lectures will be asynchronous. 

UVic and UBC are the same. The big three have been working together throughout this to be on the same page and in line with the province and health authority.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

We're talking about it now online. Eventually we'll transition to some hybrid scenario for work. But it sounds like we're at home for the summer. Which is fine. I love home. No place like it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that you know of :P  I can give Dougie a pass on that one. 

I've seen many other premiers take more prominent positions than Horgan, but true he hasn't got in his own way just yet. I think he should be there beside Henry instead of Dix but there you go. 

Did you see Horgan's presser today? Ford gets so much credit, and rightly so, but I think Horgan has been excellent in his messaging and much better overall. Ford reads his statement, and there's nothing wrong with that, but Horgan is on the ball. He speaks with a non combative authority and is highly likeable. He is easily one of my favourite politicians in Canada, and he deserves his own pair of Fluevog shoes too.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It's not about having people to enforce the rules but rather her language and use of it to persuade citizens to follow the rules; it just simply is passive language. I think many people appreciate Trudeau's firm stance and assertive approach to telling people how to be safe and keep others safe rather than passive. The PM proved the other option. Of course, it's difficult to say whether his approach does, in fact, work better, but I'm not alone in thinking that after seeing how people reacted to phase 2 when it wasn't even put in place yet shows that now is the time for assertiveness.

I’ve watched very Trudeau presser he’s put out so far.

He’s had probably 60 very hard questions, and maybe 30 provocative question where Orange Baby would’ve FLIPPED. 

Not once did Trudeau lose his cool.

#canadianproud

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Favorite part, nobody here said otherwise.  

Keep digging you will find plenty of correlation.  I've posted numerous sources 

But why specifically is Vitamin D important?    You wont answer the question

Yeah everybody line up to go see your doctor right now because that won't be an issue at all.....

Because Vitamin D deficiency is common with lack of Sunshine. People have been encouraged to stay in doors. Sunshine is more abundant outdoors. Therefore....

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They can open it up in a month but people will still need to follow the 14 day quarantine protocol.

I don’t know about you but for me a vacation isn’t worth having to spend a month in quarantine.I think that would keep most people away.

How to enforce it though...

The UK is talking about international travel and opening up to international travel with the 14 day quarantine, and the airlines are all basically saying why bother opening up then. Nobody is going to want to fly somewhere for a holiday if they have to spend the first 14 days basically locked up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fan since 82 said:

How to enforce it though...

The UK is talking about international travel and opening up to international travel with the 14 day quarantine, and the airlines are all basically saying why bother opening up then. Nobody is going to want to fly somewhere for a holiday if they have to spend the first 14 days basically locked up.

None of this is enforceable unless you live in a dictatorship. Same way you can’t stop people from all crowding beaches on a sunny day.

It would at least be a deterrent for most people crossing the border however. So even when they do open up I think travel will still be limited.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To be fair, or realistic at least, those with greater health risks are likely doing a great job of isolating, as are their service providers, etc. 

Is that 2/3 of the population? I doubt it. 

Ensuring communities are isolating the right demographic is where the focus should be instead of a conversation meant to rat out or shame teenagers at the beach, but that’s not what the message has been from the top. 

It’s absolutely shameful that this approach wasn’t first applied to those homes for the elderly. Those practices should have already been in place. That is the one silver lining in all of this; people being acutely aware of the devastation caused by bringing illness to these facilities. 

No one knew. Then when we knew, it was too late.

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Because Vitamin D deficiency is common with lack of Sunshine. People have been encouraged to stay in doors. Sunshine is more abundant outdoors. Therefore....

Therefor vitamin D cures Covid! 

Boom! That was easy. 

• Haha 4