The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The plan is supposed to be released in a couple of weeks.  Some or the details have been leaking out recently. 

Rumours...........no one has any idea what it's going to look like.  I have thoughts, but it's just my own musings based on how it looked in June

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Rumours...........no one has any idea what it's going to look like.  I have thoughts, but it's just my own musings based on how it looked in June

https://www.newcountry1031.ca/2020/07/17/64291/ 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

All that says is they're aiming for 100% return.  We knew that in June......just means it's not voluntary.

I was just pointing out that the full plan will be released in 2 weeks.  They have been working on it since the schools reopened in June.  I could be wrong, but I do suspect that they are releasing bits of information to get an early read on what people are thinking.  Not voluntary is really good, as it will be easier to keep the class sizes down.  I fully expected it to be volunteer as that has been the mo from the BC authorities.

Still hoping that any teacher that has a vulnerability to the virus should be able to go on paid leave until there is a vaccine.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

I was just pointing out that the full plan will be released in 2 weeks.  They have been working on it since the schools reopened in June.  I could be wrong, but I do suspect that they are releasing bits of information to get an early read on what people are thinking.  Not voluntary is really good, as it will be easier to keep the class sizes down.  I fully expected it to be volunteer as that has been the mo from the BC authorities.

Still hoping that any teacher that has a vulnerability to the virus should be able to go on paid leave until there is a vaccine.

only if we have sick days banked

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

only if we have sick days banked

3.12 wcb- you have the right to refuse unsafe work. If you are immuno compromised going to work would be unsafe.

Talk to your union shop steward/labour relations officer/business agent and get them working on it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

3.12 wcb- you have the right to refuse unsafe work. If you are immuno compromised going to work would be unsafe.

Talk to your union shop steward/labour relations officer/business agent and get them working on it.

I felt pretty safe in June, though we only had 3-4 students in class!  My district takes it very seriously and my admin even more.  That said, I am already stressed out over returning as flu season, on it's own, sucks in the school system, let alone a deadly infectious virus thrown into the mix.  I really wish our govt had kept things in pretty strict lockdown through the summer as it would have given everyone a chance to settle down and let some of the stress roll off before we head into flu season.  Now, people are more on edge than ever with the invasion from other provinces, numbers rising and the prospect of an even worse second wave starting to build.  We'll be heading into fall and flu season already completely stressed out.  Terrible decision to open up, imo.

Edited by stawns
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Do you guys accrue vacation days or is that considered “summertime”

we don't accrue vacation days no.  We are alotted a number of paid sick days in a school year and the ones that don't get used, you bank.  It used to be that you could apply them at the end of your career and retire a little earlier than your scheduled retirement date, with pay, but they got rid of that a while ago.

we don't get paid in the summer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Do you guys accrue vacation days or is that considered “summertime”

I don't know if it varies from district to district but in Chilliwack teachers do not get discretionary days.  Christmas and Springbreak are paid vacation times.  The summer is not paid, although for full-time teachers on a continuing contract there is usually a plan where you can get money taken off your paycheck so you get spread it out over 12 months.

Just the way it is.  I'm not complaining (how can you with 3-4 weeks of paid vacation), but it sucks not having at least 1 discretionary day if you wanted to be present for an important family event that happened to fall on a school day.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know if it varies from district to district but in Chilliwack teachers do not get discretionary days.  Christmas and Springbreak are paid vacation times.  The summer is not paid, although for full-time teachers on a continuing contract there is usually a plan where you can get money taken off your paycheck so you get spread it out over 12 months.

Just the way it is.  I'm not complaining (how can you with 3-4 weeks of paid vacation), but it sucks not having at least 1 discretionary day if you wanted to be present for an important family event that happened to fall on a school day.

In my district we get 5 discretionary days that have to be applied for an approved by the distruct.  Those are unpaid days off.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It's absolutely insane opening schools in the US states that are spiking high numbers right now; regardless of age group.  I am astounded by the supreme ignorance.  If the Republicans try to enforce enrolment, it will create even more chaos in that country.

Here in BC, the plan is to reopen with K-7, while the teens will continue with their lessons online.  Right now, the child help line calls have increased by 70% and the messaging has increased by 45%, so returning to school is an important factor for our kids.

In the Scandinavian countries, the schools have been open for quite some time with very little evidence of the virus.  The have recently increased to the teenage levels and continue to do well.  I watch Denmark, as it is a similar size to BC.

Believe it or not, there's a strategy at work here. (Just not a good strategy)

The Administration believes that forcing schools to re-open will play well with white women, a demographic that polls show they have been losing ground on. The theory went that women were disenfranchised by having to stay home and look after kids, rather than being able to go back to work, like (quite often) their husbands had.

I read a couple of articles that quoted unnamed sources, saying the Trump campaign had been "surprised" that the idea wasn't playing much better....they apparently had underestimated how much parents would like to avoid killing their children.:rolleyes:

TBH, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back off this idea....at least somewhat. If there's no political gain to be had, there's little point in putting children at risk. Even a bonehead like Trump can see that....

Hands up if you're surprised that this happened in Alberta.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/anti-mask-rallies-draw-crowds-in-calgary-and-edmonton-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB16Wbuc?li=AAggNb9

Anti-mask rallies at Calgary's Olympic Plaza and outside the Alberta legislature in Edmonton drew crowds Sunday afternoon as the province continues to deal with the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic.

In Calgary, the rally was held in response to city council's upcoming deliberations on mandatory mask usage.

“What [Mayor] Nenshi is doing is unnecessary and is going to be more detrimental than positive overall,” March to Unmask organizer Jake Eskesen said Sunday.

On Monday, city council is slated to begin discussions on whether masks should be mandatory on transit and some indoor areas where physical distancing measures can't be followed.

However, some in the city don't believe being forced to wear a mask is the answer to stopping the spread of the virus.

“Having a choice in this instance is actually very important because there are a lot of categories in our society that are going to be negatively affected by this mask mandate,” Eskesen said.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi, alongside health and government officials, has repeatedly stressed the importance of wearing a mask when in a crowded indoor space.

However, as more businesses continue their operations, Nenshi noted the need is bigger now than ever to stop a resurgence of the virus so the city can continue to rebuild its economy.

"It's not mask-wearing or the economy. It's wearing a mask to save the economy," Nenshi said Thursday.

A crowd also gathered in Edmonton, where protesters carried signs with slogans disparaging mask use.

In a news conference Saturday, Premier Jason Kenney also addressed the anti-mask rallies.

He noted that while some residents have their reservations about wearing masks, the alternative outcome of a second wave could have devastating effects on the province.

"My pitch to those folks, if they're upset about mask usage, is that that the alternative will inevitably be more widespread suspensions of economic activity if we get a second outbreak," he said.

"I think the responsible exercise of personal freedom through mask usage, where people cannot physically distance, is a lot better than suspending businesses or social activity."

Nobody?

That's what I thought....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hands up if you're surprised that this happened in Alberta.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/anti-mask-rallies-draw-crowds-in-calgary-and-edmonton-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB16Wbuc?li=AAggNb9

Nobody?

That's what I thought....

Jake Eskesen, rally organizer, quote from "About Jake" on Facebook. Seems like a stand up guy, lol, let's follow his lead. Edited for language. 

I play black ops hate frenchies and do w/e i feel like doin and I do s@#t with my friends Oh and something you may not know about me is I am a Vegetarian.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Jake Eskesen, rally organizer, quote from "About Jake" on Facebook. Seems like a stand up guy, lol, let's follow his lead. Edited for language. 

I play black ops hate frenchies and do w/e i feel like doin and I do s@#t with my friends Oh and something you may not know about me is I am a Vegetarian.

A vegetarian? :blink:

I knew he was a scumbag....:angry:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I live in the OKanagan..........I am well past my reasonable tolerance level of Albertans at the moment.  I want Horgan to build a wall and make the Albertans use their oil money that they love to brag about to pay for it!

B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Believe it or not, there's a strategy at work here. (Just not a good strategy)

The Administration believes that forcing schools to re-open will play well with white women, a demographic that polls show they have been losing ground on. The theory went that women were disenfranchised by having to stay home and look after kids, rather than being able to go back to work, like (quite often) their husbands had.

I read a couple of articles that quoted unnamed sources, saying the Trump campaign had been "surprised" that the idea wasn't playing much better....they apparently had underestimated how much parents would like to avoid killing their children.:rolleyes:

TBH, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back off this idea....at least somewhat. If there's no political gain to be had, there's little point in putting children at risk. Even a bonehead like Trump can see that....

Asian schools are in session right now.  18 million kids in Japan are now back for 5 plus hours a day.   After schools activities are ongoing as well. This has been going on since early June - count the days.  No deaths, clusters, or mini clusters.  Nothing traced to a single school.  What exactly are you talking about when you say children are being put at risk?  The research out of Euro and most places have been very clear that schools especially at the primary level were not infection spots right from the start.  And what is more the evidence of children infecting someone else in the family is anecdotal at best - a few cases world wide!