The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Travis Hamonic

Absolutely amazing. Are we now within cap with Ericsson/Baerstachi/Ferland waived/LTIR? 

Im shocked Hoglander's in our starting lineup and 2nd line to boot. Finally get to see what's all he hype about this kid on here. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KirkSave said:

This is a great 1 year deal to add that depth on D in a condensed season.

Craig Button, of TSN, who I usually find has solid takes on teams and rosters doesn't believe this current d-corp will be better than last years. I see both Scmidt and Hamonic as upgrades over Tanev and Stecher. The real unknown will be how the goalies end up doing but I for one have faith that they will be a solid tandem, allowing us to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Sometimes I agree with button but I don’t get his take on this one.  He stated that Schmidt was the best d man of the bunch ( in comparison to Tanev, Stech and Hamonic ) so if Schmidt is better than the two outgoing d men how does the d get worse?  Stecher would have to be significantly better than Hamonic  to make his logic work ... and I don’t see it. 

He also implied that Tanev was Hughes’ security blanket.  Does he really think that a player of QH’s calibre requires babysitting by a Tanev type player to be successful from here on out? 

In the next couple years  I’m hoping one of the young guys can step in and contribute at least  as much as stech did.  Who knows.. maybe Juolevi can make an impact right away.. 

This is the best d we have had in a long time.  

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

I have been a big fan of Hamonic ever since Calgary traded for him. I am really excited to see him playing with Hughes. I think it has potential to be the perfect combo. Hamonic can simplify his game when playing with Hughes. He will also be on the ice for a lot of goals so this will be a confidence boost and help him find his place on this team. Ultimately Green will play him like a $5 million/yr  player while paying him much less. Brilliant move by Jim Benning. The team is really taking shape. Potential for GM of the year! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm surprised some are saying that the Canucks' D is not improved this year.  I would say the jury is still out to some degree, but the D certainly looks like it at least has the potential to be much better.  Instead of Tanev, Stecher and Fantenberg, the Canucks have Hamonic, Schmidt and Juolevi. 

I like the Hamonic signing and at this cap hit and term, it's a no-brainer.  Is Hamonic better than Tanev?  Hard to say with any certainty.  I really like Tanev and would not have minded the Canucks keeping him on.  Tanev can be and generally is a very effective D.  Hamonic has a very different playstyle but is also quite effective.  Neither are going to produce much.  To me, having Hamonic over Tanev is a bit of a wash in terms of general effectiveness in the D zone, but I think there is little question that Hamonic's deal makes this a winner for the Canucks.

I like Stecher but Schmidt should be much more effective than him. 

Can't yet say if Juolevi is much better than Fantenberg (who outplayed Benn last year), but he still has a much higher ceiling than Fantenberg so there's a lot to look forward to with Juolevi finally getting regular NHL play time.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm surprised some are saying that the Canucks' D is not improved this year.  I would say the jury is still out to some degree, but the D certainly looks like it at least has the potential to be much better.  Instead of Tanev, Stecher and Fantenberg, the Canucks have Hamonic, Schmidt and Juolevi. 

I like the Hamonic signing and at this cap hit and term, it's a no-brainer.  Is Hamonic better than Tanev?  Hard to say with any certainty.  I really like Tanev and would not have minded the Canucks keeping him on.  Tanev can be and generally is a very effective D.  Hamonic has a very different playstyle but is also quite effective.  Neither are going to produce much.  To me, having Hamonic over Tanev is a bit of a wash in terms of general effectiveness in the D zone, but I think there is little question that Hamonic's deal makes this a winner for the Canucks.

Can't yet say if Juolevi is much better than Fantenberg (who outplayed Benn last year), but he still has a much higher ceiling than Fantenberg so there's a lot to look forward to with Juolevi finally getting regular NHL play time.

I think the media's often conservative with their estimates when they are looking at overall teams while not conservative at all when they're creating high expectations for prospects. There's not a lot of consistency it seems but it makes sense at the same time as the media wants views first and foremost and simply the title of a team comparison review will attract people whereas with prospects they benefit more from hyping them up and getting people excited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the media's often conservative with their estimates when they are looking at overall teams while not conservative at all when they're creating high expectations for prospects. There's not a lot of consistency it seems but it makes sense at the same time as the media wants views first and foremost and simply the title of a team comparison review will attract people whereas with prospects they benefit more from hyping them up and getting people excited.

They’re trying to placate their largest fan base in Toronto first. Watch Montreal hand them their asses tonight. Should be entertaining. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

They’re trying to placate their largest fan base in Toronto first. Watch Montreal hand them their asses tonight. Should be entertaining. 

Yeah I expect a lot of bias from them. There is that as well.

At least over the past year, we've started seeing them actually start saying how they like where the Canucks are going overall and how scary we might be in a couple of years time (provided we don't mess up somewhere along the way).

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Don't take your guide on the Canucks from media that is either largely eastern based or comes from people who have very little hockey background (many out west).   Hate to tell you this but as someone originally from Ontario, there is very little effort at all to learn about things out west and even lesser on the other side of the Rockies.   That includes a media that is largely Toronto/Montreal centric.     

The one thing the Canadian division will do this year is open more eyes to the immense talent pool the Canucks are growing and if any credible media individual says at end of the season, irrespective of how the Canucks do, that their D this year wasn't on paper miles ahead of the start of last season then you should simply write them off entirely.

Canucks, like all teams in the NHL, have holes to fill but on balance given their youth still emerging and their recent moves, this is an upper tier (playoff) team trending upwards even more.    This season is a crap shoot given the timing, the unpredictability of player availability (Edmonton with LD or CM or Calgary without Monahan/JohnnyH over the first four games is same thing for Canucks without Miller) and the Canucks having a farm team that is essentially unavailable to them.   However, I personally think it as likely they emerge from the North after the playoffs then it is they don't make the playoffs.   I think they will stack up against any team in the Division assuming each team is fully equipped with their respective best line ups.   I think Canucks have second best goalie situation, best defensive lineup over top six (and spares) and second or third best forwards but with the wild card in there that EP40 may be as good as Matthews by end of this year (again, IMHO).

Cheers

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't, I simply surmised I doubt they would.   Speaking for others is something you like to do.     Cheers!   :)

I think your new obsession - the confused "wat" emoji - probably better reflects how well you've formulated your opinion than the attempt to inflate it with imaginary authorities, as if you can represent "many NHL GMs."  

Anyhow, carry emoji on lol.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think your new obsession - the confused "wat" emoji - probably better reflects how well you've formulated your opinion than the attempt to inflate it with imaginary authorities, as if you can represent "many NHL GMs."  

Anyhow, carry emoji on lol.

I am here just for you.    Glad I can offer you that comfort!   :)

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I expect a lot of bias from them. There is that as well.

At least over the past year, we've started seeing them actually start saying how they like where the Canucks are going overall and how scary we might be in a couple of years time (provided we don't mess up somewhere along the way).

It’s hard to take them seriously when they applaud Toronto for bringing in Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, and Brodie. 

If Vancouver had done those very same signings, they’d state that Benning was relying to heavily on veterans and past their prime players. Somehow in Toronto, they’re integral pieces for a cup run. 

It hard to take these folks seriously when they’re so vastly inconsistent. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s hard to take them seriously when they applaud Toronto for bringing in Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, and Brodie. 

If Vancouver had done those very same signings, they’d state that Benning was relying to heavily on veterans and past their prime players. Somehow in Toronto, they’re integral pieces for a cup run. 

It hard to take these folks seriously when they’re so vastly inconsistent. 

Brodie is a decent D - not intending to sandbag him here - but that $20 million contract might be the worst cap value spent on the market in free agency this offseason.

The only contract I might run faster from was the one St Louis gave Krug.

Brodie is a high risk signing imo (I would not be happy - whatsover - if this team signed him - for anything near those terms).

His last season was not particularly impressive - not enough to indicate 'decline' - but I'd be concerned about signing a 185lb 30 year old - who has had his share of hard miles - to those kinds of terms at the best of times, particularly after a 19 pt season - and critically - while playing with a Norris quality partner (Giordano makes anyone he plays with better).    I'd be curious what Toronto was thinking - what made him worth $5 million, particularly in a covid market.....If I were them I would want a 'better' partner for Reilly - and am skeptical of what Brodie is going to look like in that situation (his production might bounce back - but that team always has it's issues without the puck, and once again, it's really hard to consider that lineup 'improved' in that sense.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Brodie is a decent D - not intending to sandbag him here - but that $20 million contract might be the worst cap value spent on the market in free agency this offseason.

The only contract I might run faster from was the one St Louis gave Krug.

Brodie is a high risk signing imo (I would not be happy - whatsover - if this team signed him - for anything near those terms).

His last season was not particularly impressive - not enough to indicate 'decline' - but I'd be concerned about signing a 185lb 30 year old - who has had his share of hard miles - to those kinds of terms at the best of times, particularly after a 19 pt season - and critically - while playing with a Norris quality partner (Giordano makes anyone he plays with better).    I'd be curious what Toronto was thinking - what made him worth $5 million, particularly in a covid market.....If I were them I would want a 'better' partner for Reilly - and am skeptical of what Brodie is going to look like in that situation (his production might bounce back - but that team always has it's issues without the puck, and once again, it's really hard to consider that lineup 'improved' in that sense.

I think Vancouver improved their defense far more than Toronto did. 

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Schmidt

Myers - Juolevi

Benn

is better than

Rielly - Brodie

Muzzin - Dermott

Sandin - Lehtonen

Bogosian

I can't see a scenario where it isn't. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Vancouver improved their defense far more than Toronto did. 

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Schmidt

Myers - Juolevi

Benn

is better than

Rielly - Brodie

Muzzin - Dermott

Sandin - Lehtonen

Bogosian

I can't see a scenario where it isn't. 

or

Reilly Brodie

Muzzin Holl

Dermott Bogosian..

Even if that blueline is 'serviceable'/decent - when you combine it with that forward group - ie a 4th line of Barbanov Spezza Simmonds....it would appear to me that, once again, their genius strategy - is to 'score all the goals'....but hey, if it aint broke, why fix it?  lol.  And clearly, they don't believe the string of playoff failures has meant much.

I certainly would not be intimidated to face their 'shutdown' units or special teams (pk) - I also have to wonder how a player like Tavares feels about the kind of minutes he's drawn into when it comes playoff time....is it really that necessary to put such hard miles on a 'franchise' center?