2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ehrhoff << Hughes

Edler =< Schmidt

Hamhuis > Edler

Bieksa >> Hamonic

Salo >> Juolevi

Ballard < Myers

I think VAN is close...,if not already there

Stylistically Schmidt is probably more comparable to young Edler. And then current Edler to Hamhuis. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Really nice signing, I'm liking Hamonic's game, and the price is a no brainer.

But could the cheap deal and no real signing options be more because he opted out of playing in the playoffs during the Covid Bubble last year?
Hope he changes his mind for this year's playoffs, we have a really good D group. Hoping someone else (*wink wink* Juolevi) steps up so we have 3 dmen to exit our zone.

Edited by Forsy
  • Like 1

This is a great 1 year deal to add that depth on D in a condensed season.

Craig Button, of TSN, who I usually find has solid takes on teams and rosters doesn't believe this current d-corp will be better than last years. I see both Scmidt and Hamonic as upgrades over Tanev and Stecher. The real unknown will be how the goalies end up doing but I for one have faith that they will be a solid tandem, allowing us to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

• Like 2

Great that he has always wanted to be a Canuck from following the Moose when they were our farm team.  It makes a difference when guys want to be on a team.

Can't wait to see this D in action.  There may be some growing pains while guys get used to each other, but I can't see us getting hemmed in our own zone the way we used to or pushed around in front of our net either.  Each of the pairings makes sense and all combine puck moving with physicality in a good balance.  At least on paper.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Craig Button, of TSN, who I usually find has solid takes on teams and rosters doesn't believe this current d-corp will be better than last years. I see both Scmidt and Hamonic as upgrades over Tanev and Stecher. The real unknown will be how the goalies end up doing but I for one have faith that they will be a solid tandem, allowing us to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Craig Button is crazy?

How many teams have 2 offensive D men like us? 1A Hughes  1B Schmidt   2 very offensive D guys and follow up with Edler, Hamonic, Myers...

Best defence in Canadian division..

2019-20-Last yeas defence --- Ct

2020-21 -- Big up grade "B " .... Adding 2 guys of Schmidt and Hamonic and Hughes improving very very exciting..

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

kinda surprised he thinks that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense is so clearly ahead of last years. Younger, faster, more mobile, and tougher. 

Benning is the man 

Heavy on the "tougher " part as the only time we had a chance in the playoffs is when we got Myers back. I won't cringe now when anyone but Edler or Myers comes over the boards come playoff time.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Heavy on the "tougher " part as the only time we had a chance in the playoffs is when we got Myers back. I won't cringe now when anyone but Edler or Myers comes over the boards come playoff time.

For sure. Tanev brought literally no physicality and was injured half of each season and while Stecher was willing to drop the gloves, it usually only happened with other inhabitants of Smurf Village. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. Tanev brought literally no physicality and was injured half of each season and while Stecher was willing to drop the gloves, it usually only happened with other inhabitants of Smurf Village. 

Yes I loved both of their hearts and desire but when the checking gets tougher, you either have to be smart like Hughes or a big brute like Chara. "Smurf Villagers" are made for the regular season. ::D

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hear ya. After hearing the rumoured salary was going to be just over a million, with the top of the range reported at $1.2M, that extra 50k is a deal breaker and screams poor management. ;) 

In all seriousness, though, while we knew we’d be getting a bargain in Hamonic, it’s still amazing to get a guy who’s averaged over 22 minutes a game for his career, and never averaged less than 20 minutes per game in a season, with ten years experience, and 30 years old, for a mere $1.25 million.

yeah this never would have happened if it were not for the pandemic and flat cap this year but otherwise I hope we resign him when the season is done keep it short and not long term.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I loved both of their hearts and desire but when the checking gets tougher, you either have to be smart like Hughes or a big brute like Chara. "Smurf Villagers" are made for the regular season. ::D

And having Hamonic as Hughes partner will not only help Quinn concentrate on offense, but Hughes will have a partner who will protect him too. 

• Upvote 2