The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

I guess it’s now fair to say that Pettersson is not the star of our team... Miller obviously are. I was surprised by Miller’s excellence last year but thought that was much thanks to Petey. Now... I’m not so sure anymore. Petey looks lost out there without JT.

I really hope Petey finds some new mojo because he’s been very silent. Especially in 10 (or 11!?) PP’s in a row now.

But hey, let’s get back into it on Monday. And I sure hope Petey makes me look like a fool then :towel:

People's been way overhyping Pettersson for a while now. Did you see McDavid in Game 2? That's what superstar domination looks like. Pettersson's not there yet. He has shown flashes of it during the first 40 games of season 18/19. That super accurate wicked shot, that zone control where the opposition actually backs off when he has the puck. Dunno where it went.. 

Shame on the posters quick to the PGT to basically rip on the entire team except maybe Hoglander.   This game was closer then the score .... Markstrom was sharp, we had our chances but blew it on special teams - 5 x 5 was evenly played.    Two PP goals against - and couldn’t score on a 1.5 minute 5 x 3... that was the difference in the game right there.    

Typical fan reaction, lose a game and the sky is falling.   Team obviously misses Miller.    So far special teams has been our Achilles heel...3 games - zero PP goals.   

Holtby was good enough to win if our PP and PK was on.    Markstrom didn’t have to stand on his head, but he did make all the saves.    We came out sluggish, but came in to cut the score in half the third period and looked good and had the momentum up until Edler cross checked MT.    It’s not like they blew us out of the park.   By the reactions you’d think they scored 5 short handed goals or something.    

Look forward to the next winning streak, and the pendulum shift on here to “knew it all along we are going to win the cup this year “ blah blah blah.    We lost a game.   We aren’t out of anything yet.   Tied with EDM.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

I guess it’s now fair to say that Pettersson is not the star of our team... Miller obviously are. I was surprised by Miller’s excellence last year but thought that was much thanks to Petey. Now... I’m not so sure anymore. Petey looks lost out there without JT.

I really hope Petey finds some new mojo because he’s been very silent. Especially in 10 (or 11!?) PP’s in a row now.

But hey, let’s get back into it on Monday. And I sure hope Petey makes me look like a fool then :towel:

Wow.  Three games and EP is done for.   For sure Miller helps that line, especially taking face offs and net pressure...but look at his career, if he was the driver of that line how come he’s normally a 45-55 point guy?   Also EP didn’t have him his rookie year .... 

Yes he’s not tearing into (yet), like he did his first 15 games in the league.   Since then he’s been the target of the other teams best players - as in the best in the world.    Three road games - last changes...  Hit some posts so far - I’m not worried about his game one bit.   For sure that line is missing Miller, but Miller wouldn’t be a PGP without EP either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

People's been way overhyping Pettersson for a while now. Did you see McDavid in Game 2? That's what superstar domination looks like. Pettersson's not there yet. He has shown flashes of it during the first 40 games of season 18/19. That super accurate wicked shot, that zone control where the opposition actually backs off when he has the puck. Dunno where it went.. 

I don’t think anyone is calling EP a superstar,  but for sure a lot feel he’s got the potential to become one in his prime, or sooner.    The league only has a handful by definition - which in case anyone needs to know means first or second all-star team or very close to it - year after year.   Right now that means McDavid, McKinnon, Drasaitl, Panarin, Kane, Kucherov, Hedman and maybe still Crosby and Ovi, that’s about it. 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

On the plus side; Hoglander was good again. Had some good scoring chances again. 

Really liked his battle, & how good he is at keeping plays alive. Impressive for a rookie that size to be so strong around the net/in the corners. 

Agreed.   He’s a breath of fresh air in the top six, was dangerous for us and so far has had three consistent efforts for us.   Pearson has been better as a result, and Horvat his usual self.   Getting better match ups hopefully will help give us a little edge - last nights game was all about special teams, we matched up fine against Calgary, better then we did last game.    And the first game we contained the Coilers.    Game was a chippy at times - the next one should be exciting.   Holtby was good enough for a win, going to be a tough choice who gets the nod for the net.   Demko seems to thrive under pressure...just tell him it’s game 5 and it’s do or die lol. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

What would you suggest the reason why Vegas & Tampa are better at exiting there zone - roster or coaching or both ?

Definitely coaching 

all teams generally have puck moving d men and all teams have talented players 

we do basic predictable and plays. Our go-to is to go back against the grain when sealed off on the boards. We do it all the time. This process of retreating invite forecheck pressure on the opposite side 

what we need in non lazy forwards to circle deeper in our end to give our d breakout options but our guts are all floating in the neutral zone. That kills breakout speed unless we make a perfect pass. 

Good teams break out with speed at their blue line not standing statically waiting for a pass in the neutral zone 

when we are backed up in our zone it kills be that we don’t ice it or simply focus on clearing the puck out over the line to at a minimum force the other team to regroup. Instead we circle back and get beaten off the puck by the forecheck 

basic stuff 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

Just 3 games in and look at the reactions. Boy are we tough on the guys. 

Well being badly outplayed in 2/3 of your games is not concerning to you? 

having zero special teams is not concerning to you? You ok with our powerplay? Penalty kill? Physical play? Discipline?

if we were playing hard, dominating, bring physical and just not getting breaks it would be a different story but we are stinking out the rink 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Well being badly outplayed in 2/3 of your games is not concerning to you? 

having zero special teams is not concerning to you? You ok with our powerplay? Penalty kill? Physical play? Discipline?

if we were playing hard, dominating, bring physical and just not getting breaks it would be a different story but we are stinking out the rink 

Give the boys 8 games if the are still sucking make changes. But I would fire Brown first.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Shame on the posters quick to the PGT to basically rip on the entire team except maybe Hoglander.   This game was closer then the score .... Markstrom was sharp, we had our chances but blew it on special teams - 5 x 5 was evenly played.    Two PP goals against - and couldn’t score on a 1.5 minute 5 x 3... that was the difference in the game right there.    

Typical fan reaction, lose a game and the sky is falling.   Team obviously misses Miller.    So far special teams has been our Achilles heel...3 games - zero PP goals.   

Holtby was good enough to win if our PP and PK was on.    Markstrom didn’t have to stand on his head, but he did make all the saves.    We came out sluggish, but came in to cut the score in half the third period and looked good and had the momentum up until Edler cross checked MT.    It’s not like they blew us out of the park.   By the reactions you’d think they scored 5 short handed goals or something.    

Look forward to the next winning streak, and the pendulum shift on here to “knew it all along we are going to win the cup this year “ blah blah blah.    We lost a game.   We aren’t out of anything yet.   Tied with EDM.  

This was hardly a “puck luck” game and nor was the Oiler game before this one 

trying to say it was close is a joke 

we have been slow, uninspired, lazy and disjointed. We are passing on the Pp with zero purpose, our opponents must laugh on their bench watching us wasting time fooling nobody with point to high slot passes (fake shot, pass back, fake shot pass back, fake shot pass back....lose puck) 

people on here, and I, call it like it is 

it’s a 56 game season that will be over in a flash if we keep disking out 4 pointer no-show games 

so yeah, it’s an issue 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Give the boys 8 games if the are still sucking make changes. But I would fire Brown first.

Can’t disagree but remember 8 games is a huge chunk is this short season 

I know it was a short camp but it was short for everyone and we we also played much more recently than both the flames and Oilers 

green tries to spin that the game was even other than special teams. You can argue that was true. So what have we done to improve a 3 year terrible pp and ok? Nothing. Instead Green extends Brown!!!! 

remember it’s Green’s staff. His choice. Not JB 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

This was hardly a “puck luck” game and nor was the Oiler game before this one 

trying to say it was close is a joke 

we have been slow, uninspired, lazy and disjointed. We are passing on the Pp with zero purpose, our opponents must laugh on their bench watching us wasting time fooling nobody with point to high slot passes (fake shot, pass back, fake shot pass back, fake shot pass back....lose puck) 

people on here, and I, call it like it is 

it’s a 56 game season that will be over in a flash if we keep disking out 4 pointer no-show games 

so yeah, it’s an issue 

I agree it is an issue. we could be looking at a Top 5 draft pick if the boys dont turn this around. The book is out on Pettersson and Hughes dont give them any room . Movement and good passing, speed is needed and no fancy stuff back to basics .

They are having trouble finding their feet. Not surprising but hard to watch. 

One thing that seems to be troubling them is expecting playoffs officiating. So often they are looking incredulous at calls that are regular season calls that maybe aren’t called during the playoffs. 

Hoglander has some defensive gaffs but I love his passion and effort. 

They will get better. Just hope it is quick. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

EP and McDavid are not in the same category. No one in the NHL is at his level. Crosby and Ovie in their primes. 

EP could get there, but I doubt it. He is more of a very good star. Mitch Marner jumps to mind. 

8 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

They are having trouble finding their feet. Not surprising but hard to watch. 

One thing that seems to be troubling them is expecting playoffs officiating. So often they are looking incredulous at calls that are regular season calls that maybe aren’t called during the playoffs. 

Hoglander has some defensive gaffs but I love his passion and effort. 

They will get better. Just hope it is quick. 

I really think it's JT Miller missing. When he comes back, all will be right.