The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I believe we are dealing with 2 issues.

First, team chemistry. Toffoli fit in right away but he left. Tanev was a huge loss in the locker room and on the ice. The team felt confident in Marky and played deep, and so far our goaltending has been average at best. We've lost some confidence in each other. I believe this will improve.

Second, coaching and systems. I do like Greener, but there's been something wrong with our systems for years. I can't exactly pinpoint, but they just don't seem defensively effective. Never have. Like last year, we need to find ways to limit the opposition's access to high danger chances.

Not sure why Myers was singled out. He might be overpaid but I felt he had a solid game. In fact, a solid season so far. 

Issue 1:

There are currently two players in the top 6 not actually belonging in the top 6 with Jake & Hoglander. Top 6 did not score goals in Game 2 neither they scored goals in Game 3.

Issue 2:

Miller*s absence is hurting us badly. He is extremely important for the PP1 unit.

Issue 3:

I would like to comment on your statement that "Like last year we need to find ways to limit the opposition*s access to high danger chances". Did the Canucks really limited the opposition*s access to high danger chances last season? When you look at the numbers how many shot*s and grade A scoring chances the Canucks allowed last season you are going to have the answer. The answer is that last season Marky saved us "the ass" with his stellar play. This season we won*t have a goaltender of this calibre which means that the skaters need to better work defensively (not only the D but also the forwards).

1 minute ago, tas said:

Jake's size isn't the reason he floats, and the very implication of the post you quoted was "imagine what a player who doesn't float could do with Jake's size".

Sorry, not an implication mind reader of posts...

It was meant to a light hearted hahahaha Tas

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Sad thing is that this is not new 

Siri so teams have sucked for a very long time yet Green refuses to remove Brown? Why? 

green is an arrogant coach that simply refuses blame and refuses to admit he needs to make changes....it’s always oh well we are fine, just bad luck 

wasn't the Canucks powerplay like 4th overall in the league last year?

• Cheers 1

Just now, AbrasiveAjax said:

Sorry, not an implication mind reader of posts...

It was meant to a light hearted hahahaha Tas

you don't need to be a mind reader, you just need 3rd grade reading comprehension skills.  

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Our guys are just not moving their feet and fighting through checks 

yes we are getting jammed and and frankly held but so what? Keep your feet moving and at least force a call like Petey did 

They definatly looked gassed on the back half of thier shifts.... flames beat us to loose pucks, poor passing, etcc

We are in for a 52 game slug fest challenge the rest of the way

Go canucks go 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Why? So he could float around like Jake?

Another media influenced comment. Float around eh? On which of his 15 seconds or less shifts?

Only 3 Canucks had more shots, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser.

Only two Canucks credited with more hits, in this no hitter game, Motte and Beagle

He had only one give away, same as 6 other players.

Oh and when on the ice the team spent more time NOT in the defensive zone (Percentage) than Hoglander, Boeser or Pettersson..

Did I point out he had almost 9 minutes less icetime than Petey or Brock and almost 8 minutes less than Hoglander

So back to the game.

The Canucks should, but they won't, give Ian Clark a big raise right now.

This was a game that if Holtby didn't play damn near as good as Markstrom did the last two years could easily been 6 or 7 nothing.

This season will be a real drag on the players

Green will have to start doing what Torts did in his super condensed season, stop some or most practices and let the guys recoup, Torts was able to pull a number of surprise games out of the schedule until the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Tanev and Edler all got hurt.

The guys looked mentally bagged and while not exhausted, slow to react. Still Hotlby kept it close, even with a few posts.

Watching hockey is great and if you look at the schedule the right way it is like an extended and weird playoffs.

Edited by Lazurus

4 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't need to be a mind reader, you just need 3rd grade reading comprehension skills.  

Wow, you completely missed the point there Tas

No need for personal attacks is there? 

I graduated grade 2 just fine

Ohhhh wait, your in love with Jake :bigblush:

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Being badly outplayed? I’d say the Sens were badly outplayed by the Leafs last night - and a close result.   What game were you watching?   5 x 5 was flat even.   Special teams (again) were the difference.    And not in a good way, them’s the breaks.   Why is it after every loss your one of the most vocal posters?  It’s like you like it when we lose it something and get into a manic negative rip on the coaching, the players and the GM.    Glad you weren’t around for the Quin teams,  or if your were, the internet and this forum. 

Were you not watching the first period where Holtby stood on His head?

they beat us to the puck all night 

it’s not shots on goal or goals that determine we are “even” at even strength 

keep your rose coloured glasses on and let’s see if efforts like the last 2 games get us a playoff spot 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Another media influenced comment. Float around eh? On which of his 15 seconds or less shifts?

Only 3 Canucks had more shots, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser.

Only two Canucks credited with more hits, in this no hitter game, Motte and Beagle

He had only one give away, same as 6 other players.

Oh and when on the ice the team spent more time NOT in the defensive zone (Percentage) than Hoglander, Boeser or Pettersson..

So back to the game.

The Canucks should, but they won't, give Ian Clark a big raise right now.

This was a game that if Holtby didn't play damn near as good as Markstrom did the last two years could easily been 6 or 7 nothing.

This season will be a real drag on the players

Green will have to start doing what Torts did in his super condensed season, stop some or most practices and let the guys recoup, Torts was able to pull a number of surprise games out of the schedule until the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Tanev and Edler all got hurt.

The guys looked mentally bagged and while not exhausted, slow to react. Still Hotlby kept it close, even with a few posts.

Watching hockey is great and if you look at the schedule the right way it is like an extended and weird playoffs.

A little sensative this morning? It was meant to be a light hearted hahaha

Watching hockey again is great, win or loose, fan till the end

Go canucks go

I best go read some media so I can catch up!

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Wow, you completely missed the point there Tas

No need for personal attacks is there? 

I graduated grade 2 just fine

Ohhhh wait, your in love with Jake :bigblush:

Lol Ajax Jake lovers get a little rattled when you criticize their boy

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Were you not watching the first period where Holtby stood on His head?

they beat us to the puck all night 

it’s not shots on goal or goals that determine we are “even” at even strength 

keep your rose coloured glasses on and let’s see if efforts like the last 2 games get us a playoff spot 

I agree

• Cheers 1

With all these pages I haven't read them all.

How many players have been blamed for losing the games?

How many times has the coach been blamed already?

Why is so hard to see that this team is not ready? One player is missing, Miller and even though he will make a big improvement the absence of a single top end player is making a difference all out of proportion if this team is almost ready for the next step or a playoff team.

It is early and I am enjoying the games, I am really impressed with Ottawa and we get to see them here soon.

If missing Miller is the the only reason for our play the last 2 games we better write  him a blank cheque because clearly he would have to be the greatest player in the league 

don’t get me wrong, I love Miller but missing him is not the reason we stunk out the joint the last 2 games 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jetliner said:

Petey trying to do it all. Prob frustrated to be playing with Jake who cant keep up

Could say the same about brock...... if brock is a legit line driver then Petey and him should be able to carry Jake , just look at how good Jake looked with Miller and petey...

Hate on Jake but brock and Jake both benifit from playing with Miller and petey but at least Jake has shown he can drive a line once in awhile , still waiting to see that from brock........ brock and Jake are the same element on that line...... 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

If missing Miller is the the only reason for our play the last 2 games we better write  him a blank cheque because clearly he would have to be the greatest player in the league 

don’t get me wrong, I love Miller but missing him is not the reason we stunk out the joint the last 2 games 

And if it is, this team is in a world of trouble this season.