The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitol Riot Puts Spotlight on ‘Apocalyptically Minded’ Global Far Righ

CBH1926

Really good article from NYT about increase in cooperation between right wing groups across the world.

One of the few places where Americans, Germans and Russians are aligned with one another. 
Also goes to show how toxic rhetoric has contributed to attacks in New Zealand, Norway and Charlestown.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/capitol-riot-puts-spotlight-on-apocalyptically-minded-global-far-right/ar-BB1d2Gze?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by CBH1926
Error
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Yea this is going to get worse before it gets better.

This whole crying over MSM so I'll be woke by believing YouTube, Newsmax, QAnon, or whatever "alternative facts" they subscribe to is embarassingly stupid.

MSM is all lies until they tell me what I want to hear!

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Yea this is going to get worse before it gets better.

This whole crying over MSM so I'll be woke by believing YouTube, Newsmax, QAnon, or whatever "alternative facts" they subscribe to is embarassingly stupid.

their "do your own research" mindset is basically "only believe the things that I agree with and nitpick my viewpoints to articles that make me feel better". Some of these people are living in fantasy land and need help

• Cheers 1

A lot of this can be attributed to the inequality/distribution of wealth.

Of course there has and always will be racists/bigots however people that were once truly middle-class are now finding it harder to make ends meat.

They want someone to blame.

That combined with nationalism and figures that stoke these fires are the reasons we are heading down this road.

It is an over simplification however it is 40 Celsius here and I am just sitting by the Yarra River and I am gonna have a dip.

• Cheers 4

To be fair, lots of crazies on both sides.  

In some countries, left-of-centre are out committing insurgencies, etc.  

In some countries, right-of-centre are out committing insurgencies, etc. 

Is the rioting at the Capitol Hill more egregious because of it's location?  Were those violent rioting by BLM/Antifa more accepting because "they mean well"?

Idiots and morons will always find justification to try to rationalize their violence.  

Those arguing left vs right is akin to claim that the smell of their own feces is more tolerable that the other person's..... kinda missing the bigger issue.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Is the rioting at the Capitol Hill more egregious because of it's location?  Were those violent rioting by BLM/Antifa more accepting because "they mean well"?

Idiots and morons will always find justification to try to rationalize their violence.  

Those arguing left vs right is akin to claim that the smell of their own feces is more tolerable that the other person's..... kinda missing the bigger issue.  

I agree that there is people from both sides of the political spectrum  that have tried to justify their actions/violence because their beliefs entitle them to.

I do not believe violence solves problems however I can understand why certain sections of society after generations of persecution feel the need to resort to those means.

I like to believe I am a person like Martin Luther King who believes one can win the respect of those that persecute you with love.

However I think I have a big part of Malcom X in me.

I would like to hear what you believe the bigger issue is.

30 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It could've ended up worse merely because they didn't take wackos on the right seriously; unlike how they treat those wackos on the left.

General Patton relayed a conversation he had with General Anders of the Polish II Corps during WWII (with of course, the Russians being our allies):

"He told me, laughing, that if his corps got in between the German and Russian army, they would have difficulty in deciding who they would want to fight the most.”:lol:

That is how one should treat wackos at either extreme.  Treat them as a potential serious threat.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

Speaking of wackos on the left and right, there was an incident in California where a (presumably) left wing wacko denotated a pipe bomb at a right wing wacko church.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/us/first-works-baptist-church-explosion.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210124&instance_id=26353&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=50114&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

Excerpts:

The F.B.I. and local authorities are investigating a bombing on Saturday morning at a church in Los Angeles County that had recently been the target of protests for its extremist views against L.G.B.T.Q. people, women and the Black Lives Matter movement.

The police responded to reports of an explosion at the church, First Works Baptist Church, in El Monte, Calif., just after 1 a.m. on Saturday.

An “improvised explosive device” was found to be the source of the attack, said Chief David Reynoso of the Police Department in El Monte, which is about 13 miles east of Los Angeles. Officials would not elaborate on what they found.

No one was in the church at the time, and no injuries were reported. The authorities found obscenities and the words “get out” spray-painted on the front of the church, Chief Reynoso said.

The church is part of the New Independent Fundamental Baptist Movement, a network of 22 American and eight international churches known for their hateful rhetoric and calls for the government to round up and execute gay people, the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit that analyzes hate groups, reported in 2019.

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I agree that there is people from both sides of the political spectrum  that have tried to justify their actions/violence because their beliefs entitle them to.

I do not believe violence solves problems however I can understand why certain sections of society after generations of persecution feel the need to resort to those means.

I like to believe I am a person like Martin Luther King who believes one can win the respect of those that persecute you with love.

However I think I have a big part of Malcom X in me.

I would like to hear what you believe the bigger issue is.

A lot depends on region.  Issues the US has is vastly different than say those in Nepal.  

(incoming ranting)

I mentioned many times on other threads, the US has structural problems.  Not in terms of racisms, inequalities or whatever..... just health wise.  When you think of Americans, violent and dumb are some of the first few attributes that comes to mind, but why is that?  It is a genetic thing?  Unlikely considering it's multicultural and not unless you also believe in eugenics (a discussion for another thread).  So it's all environmental.... cultural, diet, and other social/biological factors.  Culture plays a huge role.... Black culture is different from White culture, Asian and Jewish's points of view regarding money and education are different from other cultures.  Some cultural values and interpretations may lead one to be better equipped or less prepared for our marketplace economy.  

There is an interview with Charles Barkley and when he's talking to high school kids about their future goals.... he said white kids says they want to be firefights, doctors, etc.  Black kids says they want to grow up to be rapper, basketball players, etc.  It's good to have dreams, but near impossible dreams will hinder your eventual reality.  

Inability to grow financially creates problem socially.... eventually turning in a endless cycle where poverty creates more poverty, etc.  Alternatively, wealthy families goes off to have more wealthy families.  

Then there is the issue with lead and other contaminants in water.  33% of the state of New York has elevated levels of lead.... and what does lead exposure causes.... lower IQ, lower inhibition for violent outbursts, poor health, inability to concentrate, etc.... pretty much violent and stupid.  

How this relate to politics.... politics is just theater.  It's a show by those wishing for power and wealth to remain in the position of power to garner more wealth.  Replacing lead pipes with non-lead pipes isn't a partisan issue.... who would vote against that?  But make it into a left-right fight and people will reject it.  Make the average person incapable of seeing the bigger picture... have some form of "2 minute of hate"... then you have a docile populace that is easy to control.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2