The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] DeAngelo NYR

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

JV doesn’t have the skill set to be a regular NHL’er. JV has had all the opportunities to build on skill but has failed miserably.

TD has all the skill but has bad attitude.
Good leadership can fix attitude. 

I'm not so sure about whether attitude can change. There has to be a willingness to change on DeAngelo's part too right? If he doesn't want to change, then we have a bad apple in the locker room. Does the team really need someone like that right now? 

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

He did get yelled at by Horvat during practice in the post-season.  

Where's Bieksa when you need him?  lol

Yea. I remember that, but it hasn't done anything to or for Jake. He's kind of still the same. I'm not sure what will get him to change, short of a trade at this point. He's nearing the point where NHL clubs know that he doesn't have much more room to grow. If he's a late bloomer, then he'll explode offensively at 25-26 years old. But by that point, he's either going to be explode into the top six player we all wish he would, or he's just going to be more of the same. If he's more of the same, at least he'd be cheap to retain as a bottom six forward with speed, or maybe he become a depth forward on the team - which would be really sad to see. So much potential, but wasted as a depth NHL player. Story of his life, I guess. 

I think Jake's just happy to be an NHL player. There's really no internal drive to be better than that. He's happy with where he's at, and that's it. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I don't think "good leadership" is going to fix the attitude of a serial $&!# disturber like DeAngelo. It's going to take a lot more than that.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea. I remember that, but it hasn't done anything to or for Jake. He's kind of still the same. I'm not sure what will get him to change, short of a trade at this point. He's nearing the point where NHL clubs know that he doesn't have much more room to grow. If he's a late bloomer, then he'll explode offensively at 25-26 years old. But by that point, he's either going to be explode into the top six player we all wish he would, or he's just going to be more of the same. If he's more of the same, at least he'd be cheap to retain as a bottom six forward with speed, or maybe he become a depth forward on the team - which would be really sad to see. So much potential, but wasted as a depth NHL player. Story of his life, I guess. 

I think Jake's just happy to be an NHL player. There's really no internal drive to be better than that. He's happy with where he's at, and that's it. 

Jake is a good kid.... just complacent and unmotivated.

Tony DeAngelo is a determined and skilled player (with some warts to his overall game)... just with a huge attitude problem.  Positive influence plus maturity could potentially help smooth it out.  

A racist POS could potentially stop being one over time.  Sometimes they just need a swift kick to the posterior and a good wake up call. 

Also, it would be hilarious if he eventually goes to the KHL and signs with the Kunlun Red Stars, lol.  

• Cheers 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Lancaster said:

I don't mind the Canucks taking a flyer on him... assuming we can off-load a bad contract back, eg. Eriksson.

But this all depends on how much DeAngelo is willing to shut up and buy into the program.  If the Canucks leadership group is supposed to be strong and willing to hold each other accountable, then there should be no issues.  I mean, I can't imagine DeAngelo getting away with anything if Bo, Sutter, Miller, Roussel, Beagle are in the vicinity.  

I agree with the idea of taking a flyer on him. The only  problem is that my confidence in the Canucks leadership group has been shaken by the team’s lack of commitment to playing a team game.  Multiple examples of guys throwing the puck blindly into the middle of the ice, giving up odd man rushes and breakaways. That kind of thing is coached out of most players by the time they hit Bantam.

There doesn’t seem to be any peer pressure from the rest of the team, so guys just keep making high risk plays. Playing for themselves instead of each other. Can’t see the leadership group taking on another problem child like d’Angelo.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

He was a plus 12 last year on an ok Rangers team that didn't really have a strong leadership and specially on defense with everyone being younger, but the Canucks have a much better leadership group.

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I seriously question this narrative that DeAngelo hasn't benefited from the proper kind of leadership (not to mention that somehow Vancouver's leadership is superior to all of these other teams he's been on) and that is why he's still acting the way he does.  He's looking to be on his fourth NHL franchise in the near future and he's had varying degrees of exposure to MANY well respected (even HoF players) teammates on his past teams.  Guys like Shane Doan, Rick Nash, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Henrik Lundquist, and Marc Staal were all previous teammates.  Arguably, he was also around guys in his first pro-camp in TB like Stamkos, Hedman, Callahan, and Killorn.  But let me guess, for some reason DeAngelo fell through the cracks of all these teams' leadership groups and he's really a great kid who is misunderstood, right?

Even in Jr he had Trevor Letowski, an almost 10 season NHL veteran, as a coach for 3 and a half seasons and Sheldon Keefe, one of the most highly respected young coaches in all of pro-hockey, for half a season - but he still didn't get exposed to 'strong leadership'.  

He has had respected leaders and teammates around him his entire hockey career and has continued to make bad choice after bad choice.

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, King Heffy said:

That works for me.  Trade for DeAngelo and tell him to stay home, then buy him out at the end of the year.  Not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just keep him and do that though instead of taking on LE.

I think the Rangers have too many buyouts already, they have 3 and I believe there is a limit to how many buyouts and like I said earlier that the Rangers have enough draft picks and prospects to move LE to a team like Arizona without having $15 million in dead cap space next season. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I seriously question this narrative that DeAngelo hasn't benefited from the proper kind of leadership (not to mention that somehow Vancouver's leadership is superior to all of these other teams he's been on) and that is why he's still acting the way he does.  He's looking to be on his fourth NHL franchise in the near future and he's had varying degrees of exposure to MANY well respected (even HoF players) teammates on his past teams.  Guys like Shane Doan, Rick Nash, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Henrik Lundquist, and Marc Staal were all previous teammates.  Arguably, he was also around guys in his first pro-camp in TB like Stamkos, Hedman, Callahan, and Killorn.  But let me guess, for some reason DeAngelo fell through the cracks of all these teams' leadership groups and he's really a great kid who is misunderstood, right?

Even in Jr he had Trevor Letowski, an almost 10 season NHL veteran, as a coach for 3 and a half seasons and Sheldon Keefe, one of the most highly respected young coaches in all of pro-hockey, for half a season - but he still didn't get exposed to 'strong leadership'.  

He has had respected leaders and teammates around him his entire hockey career and has continued to make bad choice after bad choice.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is “misunderstood”, he’s an asshole and if you have played on any sports teams then you would know every team has at least one asshole on the team and the team knows not get into with that player and if he were to be acquired by the Canucks he would be getting much different treatment then he got in Tampa or Phoenix or Arizona whatever they called themselves when he was on the Coyotes. Also the Rangers have a weak locker room and have a history of bad dealings with young players as this is the 2nd season in a row where they had to trade a young prospect (Lias Anderson) because the organization does not know or understand how to handle big or strong personalities and the Rangers have to take responsibility as they did give the guy a 2 year $9 million plus deal and that is horrible management to give that to a guy who apparently had all of these problems in his past that much money. The Canucks have Tyler Myers, Schmidt, Hamonic and Edler to keep him in check which is better then a bunch of young guys and Jack Johnson in New York. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

To get rid of DeAngelo.

To get some good vet leadership.

The Rangers have such bad leadership if they actually thought DeAngelo could be part of the team leadership group. The Rangers also mishandled Lias Anderson last year and getting a guy like Loui who is calm and can at least play decent on defense may end up helping them.

• Vintage 1

JV and LE for DeAngelo

We need to get rid of Loui's horrible contract. This might be the only way..

The kid can play. He's still young and R shot D are hard to find. Especially ones who can put up numbers like DeAngelo can.

According to media reports there is a ton of interest in teams looking to trade for him. I think he'll be traded very soon.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

JV and LE for DeAngelo

We need to get rid of Loui's horrible contract. This might be the only way..

The kid can play. He's still young and R shot D are hard to find. Especially ones who can put up numbers like DeAngelo can.

According to media reports there is a ton of interest in teams looking to trade for him. I think he'll be traded very soon.

Here’s the thing... I do t thing Virtanen fits in the Rangers’ budget. Eriksson alone can.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Here’s the thing... I do t thing Virtanen fits in the Rangers’ budget. Eriksson alone can.

Ya JB  might need to eat some of JV salary.. 

LE cap is high but after his 3 mill bonus already paid he's making less than 1 mill salary this year and 4 mill next season. 

Nyr have 5.8 mill in cap space... with DeAngelo going that's another  3.7 mill out.

Dregger reporting theres lots of interest in TD... this deal might not get it done. . Gorton might already have better offers on table..

These proposals are making me laugh. Character aside, his talents aren't what this team needs. We need a few more strong, defensive type Dmen. Preferably a Methot type to play with our version of Karlson (Hughes) DeAngelo just doesn't fit what this team needs, not one bit.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

These proposals are making me laugh. Character aside, his talents aren't what this team needs. We need a few more strong, defensive type Dmen. Preferably a Methot type to play with our version of Karlson (Hughes) DeAngelo just doesn't fit what this team needs, not one bit.

15 goal 50 plus Pts Dman .. yes there is definitely room for him on a struggling team like ours.. every team can use a guy like him..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

15 goal 50 plus Pts Dman .. yes there is definitely room for him on a struggling team like ours.. every team can use a guy like him..

We can score enough. We are hopeless and soft as tissue in our end. DeAngelo does nothing to improve that.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya JB  might need to eat some of JV salary.. 

LE cap is high but after his 3 mill bonus already paid he's making less than 1 mill salary this year and 4 mill next season. 

Nyr have 5.8 mill in cap space... with DeAngelo going that's another  3.7 mill out.

Dregger reporting theres lots of interest in TD... this deal might not get it done. . Gorton might already have better offers on table..

Im thinking that the Canucks could use another defenseman anyways...

Might not be a bad idea to get him here... 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, rekker said:

We can score enough. We are hopeless and soft as tissue in our end. DeAngelo does nothing to improve that.

read the scouting report below saying that as a 3rd defenseman he is a liability but if he is playing 4 or 5 in the lineup he excels at cost controlled contract that would scare every goalie with a starting lineup of DeAngelo, Hughes with Boeser, Petey and Miller up front?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/2020-report-card-tony-deangelo/ar-BB19uUZl

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble