Canucks Community

[Waivers] DeAngelo NYR

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

VAN

DeAngelo

2nd ‘21

NYR

Virtanen

Unfortunately Eriksson’s contract is way too rich for the Rangers.

Be ready for Virtanen to take off though... Mic more than he could in Vancouver.

Or not.

To STL:

DeAngelo

To NYR:

Hoffman's GF

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

I don't mind the Canucks taking a flyer on him... assuming we can off-load a bad contract back, eg. Eriksson.

But this all depends on how much DeAngelo is willing to shut up and buy into the program.  If the Canucks leadership group is supposed to be strong and willing to hold each other accountable, then there should be no issues.  I mean, I can't imagine DeAngelo getting away with anything if Bo, Sutter, Miller, Roussel, Beagle are in the vicinity.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I don't mind the Canucks taking a flyer on him... assuming we can off-load a bad contract back, eg. Eriksson.

But this all depends on how much DeAngelo is willing to shut up and buy into the program.  If the Canucks leadership group is supposed to be strong and willing to hold each other accountable, then there should be no issues.  I mean, I can't imagine DeAngelo getting away with anything if Bo, Sutter, Miller, Roussel, Beagle are in the vicinity.  

Don't see the need to intentionally bring in a known cancer. All the positives that he may provide for us is negated by the fact that Hughes takes all the prime offensive minutes and his defense is suspect as it is. DeAngelo doesn't bring anything else and is a headcase. Overlooking his character to try and bring in someone like this from a pure hockey perspective is what a desperate team needs to do.

Considering Arizona was willing to draft Mitchell Miller despite knowing his history prior to the draft (looking at only a hockey perspective), if things haven't changed there, then I could see them making a play here. I can't see us being even interested at all.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yes. Do not trade for this guy in any circumstances.

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Oh I would. I really would.

Any deal ridding the Canucks of that six million dollar dead weight is a great deal.

Deangelo wouldn’t be the reason why.

Wut?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Don't see the need to intentionally bring in a known cancer. All the positives that he may provide for us is negated by the fact that Hughes takes all the prime offensive minutes and his defense is suspect as it is. DeAngelo doesn't bring anything else and is a headcase. Overlooking his character to try and bring in someone like this from a pure hockey perspective is what a desperate team needs to do.

Considering Arizona was willing to draft Mitchell Miller despite knowing his history prior to the draft (looking at only a hockey perspective), if things haven't changed there, then I could see them making a play here. I can't see us being even interested at all.

I am just viewing this as a depreciated asset that can be redeemed to be flipped later for a profit.  

Lets just say the Canucks swaps him with Eriksson.  Then Tony buys into the program and round out his 2-way game.  After a season or two, the Canucks flips him out for a 2nd rounder.  More or less Eriksson for a 2nd.... that would be a genius move by GMJB.

Of course, it all depends on whether the organization has the team and culture to handle and mold such player.  If it really messes up the locker room... it will also mean the leadership group and team culture isn't as solid as predicted.  

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I am just viewing this as a depreciated asset that can be redeemed to be flipped later for a profit.  

Lets just say the Canucks swaps him with Eriksson.  Then Tony buys into the program and round out his 2-way game.  After a season or two, the Canucks flips him out for a 2nd rounder.  More or less Eriksson for a 2nd.... that would be a genius move by GMJB.

Of course, it all depends on whether the organization has the team and culture to handle and mold such player.  If it really messes up the locker room... it will also mean the leadership group and team culture isn't as solid as predicted.  

I don't think you can convince a piece of garbage like DeAngelo to buy into ANY team's culture.  I also don't think his defense, even if he improves, will ever be at a point where it will be acceptable.  How do you think he reacts when Green tells him he will be sitting in the press box until he starts playing like an NHLer in his own end?  Our defense is struggling enough as it is without adding a guy who has a history of being a massive liability.

Edited by King Heffy

24 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

What do you expect the leadership group to do? A headcase is a headcase. This is why we have drafted for character. Why was Arizona so scrutinized for taking on Mitchell Miller? They claimed they thought they could mold him as well (or thought he was a changed man with his half assed apology), while many teams bypassed him and thus why he fell from his original ranking dramatically.

I don't get why the leadership group should be scrutinized for not being able to change the character of a person. You intentionally bring in a bad apple and then blame our group for not being able to "fix" him? All the leadership group can do is call him out (or give him a punch in which Giorgiev did already), but you can't force someone to change. They have to make that decision on their own at the end of the day. Our group wasn't built with this character by beating bad apples into submission, but rather brought in by the GM because that's the standard that he expects. Some slip through the cracks, but DeAngelo is a known one and I'd be very surprised if we went near at all.

I get the Eriksson swap idea, but I'd only do so with the intention that we are burying DeAngelo and possibly buying him out if means more cap savings than if we bought out Eriksson next season. I wouldn't be trading him as a player and hoping we can fix his game (or his character) suddenly. If it were that easy, then we could've done it with several players in the past and present.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I get the Eriksson swap idea, but I'd only do so with the intention that we are burying DeAngelo and possibly buying him out if means more cap savings than if we bought out Eriksson next season. I wouldn't be trading him as a player and hoping we can fix his game (or his character) suddenly. If it were that easy, then we could've done it with several players in the past and present.

That works for me.  Trade for DeAngelo and tell him to stay home, then buy him out at the end of the year.  Not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just keep him and do that though instead of taking on LE.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That works for me.  Trade for DeAngelo and tell him to stay home, then buy him out at the end of the year.  Not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just keep him and do that though instead of taking on LE.

Because we convince them that he's still a strong PKer and can help them defend. Also he would be a vet to work with their youth. They'd buy that, right?

• Haha 1

If the Rangers take Loui Ericksson in a straight one for one deal the Canucks do it as Deangelo can stay on the taxi squad until he has earned his way on to the team or because of injury and is an easier buyout being under 26. He was a plus 12 last year on an ok Rangers team that didn't really have a strong leadership and specially on defense with everyone being younger, but the Canucks have a much better leadership group.

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

23 hours ago, 250Integra said:

So you're telling me you would rather have Rafferty over DeAngelo in an NHL lineup? No one wants to pick him up on waivers because his cap hit is a risk.

As you mentioned though, a team trading for him will either swap a player with a similar cap / term or NYR will have to retain some of his cap. A third-round pick for him + 50% retained (or something along those lines) is not far fetched.

Yes, I would rather have Rafferty.

1 Rafferty is not a headcase

2 Rafferty is not a headcase

3 Rafferty is not a headcase

4 Rafferty is cheaper

5 did I mention Rafferty is not a headcase?

While there is merit in the idea that a change can do a player good, that is for a player having a rough time in his current location.

A headcase will still be a headcase. Only  possible exception from the headcase rule is if the player is a headcase due to substance abuse issues, those they might correct.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I'm not so sure about that, as Virtanen has gotten away with a lot. 

Virtanen is as big of a headcase you can get on the Canucks team, and nothing seems to have clicked with him. But he's not a bad guy. 

Canuck fans are insane to think they can make DeAngelo click.

God no. Don't trade for him.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Virtanen is as big of a headcase you can get on the Canucks team, and nothing seems to have clicked with him. But he's not a bad guy. 

Canuck fans are insane to think they can make DeAngelo click.

God no. Don't trade for him.

JV doesn’t have the skill set to be a regular NHL’er. JV has had all the opportunities to build on skill but has failed miserably.

TD has all the skill but has bad attitude.
Good leadership can fix attitude. 

Edited by grandmaster