The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, HannibalSmith said:

OK, it’s time to hit the phones and get 2 solid defensemen cause this is getting stupid. 

if getting a couple of good dmen fixes the problem it would have been done years ago.

It's a chronic issue this team's been having for YEARS. It's the system, or the lack of it amplified by the AHL-level defense coach.

We can keep shuffling in & out the players but nothing will change. Do you think Nate Schmidt will be playing like this if he stayed with VGK?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Exactly what ive been saying.  We have a team full of marshmellows.  We arent going anywhere until we get at least 3 defensemen that can defend as well as Tanev did.

Doesn't matter. Every good d men we trade or sign all suddenly forgets how to play defense.

There is only one common denominator here and it is Baumer. Fire that guys already. We ain't going anywhere with him behind the bench!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HannibalSmith said:

This all day. Now how, who and where can they get just 2? 
Jimbo has his hands full. Should be working the phones tonight. 

You really want him to? He's terrible at making deals when under pressure.  He will likely give up too much. The clubs hands are tied right now. They decided they were good enough and have to live with their bad decisions.

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You need a gm with backbone who will say no that's wrong and I know a lot about hockey and how to run a team. You guys don't. We have Jim Benning so you see why they will keep him and he is obedient.

Whining about ownership and GMing after losses is so old. Yet coaching is not as often brought up. There's a lovefest going on with Green/coaching staff when the accountability isn't spread so evenly.

Green (and his assistants) has always been inconsistent with his team's performances, regardless of his roster. When does his role/blame come in? There's ALWAYS an excuse about how he's "doing the best he can".

He literally just said today that he doesn't care about shot totals. Where's the wisdom coming from? Look at these blowout losses. I said in the Ottawa game that if you allow that many shots, some of them are just bound to go in. The danger of a shot is that it can just go in. Tanev freaking scored a goal from his side of ice tonight.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Montreal sure has us figured out. Brutal giveaways and defensive lapses by so many players tonight. UGLY.

Still, we’re .500 on this road trip so far. If we can dig deep and get a win against the Habs or Leafs, it won’t look so bad.

Best to throw this one far away like it never happened and never speak of it again.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Whining about ownership and GMing after losses is so old. Yet coaching is not as often brought up. There's something lovefest going on when the accountability isn't spread so evenly.

Green (and his assistants) has always been inconsistent with his team's performances, regardless of his roster. When does his role come in? There's ALWAYS an excuse about how he's "doing the best he can".

He literally just said today that he doesn't care about shot totals. Where's the wisdom coming from? Look at these blowout losses. I said in the Ottawa game that if you allow that many shots, some of them are just bound to go in.

Thing is, if the coaching staff ends up being canned at the end of this pandemiseason, Benning will go down with the ship. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

if getting a couple of good dmen fixes the problem it would have been done years ago.

It's a chronic issue this team's been having for YEARS. It's the system, or the lack of it amplified by the AHL-level defense coach.

We can keep shuffling in & out the players but nothing will change. Do you think Nate Schmidt will be playing like this if he stayed with VGK?

I agree the coaches need to go too.  But who? 
Basically.......we’re in trouble. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

ownership is definitely a problem as well

The offense will be fine with a little tweaking, though they need a legit 3rd line centre.  Podz and Hogs need to keep developing.   The serious issue is this defense.  Whos going to replace Edler and what he brings?  We have no one replacing Tanev.  This franchise is in more trouble defensively than they realize.  Rathbone, Chatfield and Rafferty are defensive nightmares.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Whining about ownership and GMing after losses is so old. Yet coaching is not as often brought up. There's something lovefest going on when the accountability isn't spread so evenly.

Green (and his assistants) has always been inconsistent with his team's performances, regardless of his roster. When does his role come in? There's ALWAYS an excuse about how he's "doing the best he can".

He literally just said today that he doesn't care about shot totals. Where's the wisdom coming from? Look at these blowout losses. I said in the Ottawa game that if you allow that many shots, some of them are just bound to go in.

I think more people are done with the coaching staff over the GM and owner. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I agree as well. You can't be giving up that many shots per night but in reality, who is there amazing shutdown defenseman? We don't have one. The defensive system Baumer has in place is awful. I don't get how he has a job right now.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

The offense will be fine with a little tweaking, though they need a legit 3rd line centre.  Podz and Hogs need to keep developing.   The serious issue is this defense.  Whos going to replace Edler and what he brings?  We have no one replacing Tanev.  This franchise is in more trouble defensively than they realize.  Rathbone, Chatfield and Rafferty are defensive nightmares.

Defense is an absolute fustercluck. 

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For once Green sounds more true to himself than the usual lip service. There really was nobody on the team for Green to defend tonight.  

Tbh I wouldn't have minded at all if he threw some guys under the bus. There are several who deserve it.

• Cheers 1