The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

And how do you coach that? 

Well I know Green is not telling them to do that but I think he has to hold them accountable when they do it. It's been so many games in a row where we have seen lazy, bad passes to the other team and they aren't getting benched. Accountability.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

JT Miller doesn’t need a coach to motivate him, he needs to pull his head out of his .@$$ so he can see where the puck should go. 

You missed the point partner.  Yes Miller doesn't look good right now nor do a number of top guys.

Is Green capable of coaching him or is he showing a lack of respect? Would he be playing better if he had some fear and respect for his coach rather than acting like a loose cannon?

Is 

Tough to properly dissect things against a team that’s just lopsidedly kicking our asses. 

Still, games like this make me wish we did the old “build from the net out.”  Goaltending has been a bright spot for JB’s tenure but D has always been a work in progress... last year two of our top 4 D were still inherited from the previous management. 

Hughes is a grand slam and I like Schmidt and Myers... but none are particularly great in their own zone and it certainly shows at times.   That’s an area of concern considering those 3 are the core of our back end moving forwards.

The cap situation is going to balance itself out over the next 2 offseasons (and the bottom 6 is playing great to start this year anyways.) D seems like a tough thing to try and build on the fly here and is probably JB’s biggest challenge going forward. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, qwijibo said:

Really couldnt understand why Benning could not even sign one of our 3 key players from Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. Like honestly what was the point of us not signing even one of our Key players? If Benning had Virtanen RFA signing as a priority over those key players then I question his ability to create a Cup winning team. Now Tanev and Marky are thriving on the Flames team, Toffoli is lighting us up. Please dont even mention cap space when Virtanen is signed for $2.55 mil yet Toffoli is playing for $4 mil per year. We had enough cap space to sign Tanev and Toffoli for 8 mil but we decided to trade for schmidt at 6 mil per year and sign Virtanen for $2.55 mil which makes the cap hit the same.

23 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Have you not watched the games this year? Their defensive system is awful and is no where near a playoff defense. You can't be giving close to 40 shots a game and expect to win. I hate when people bring up people jumping off the bandwagon when they lose. People are concerned for their overall play this year. At times uninspired. The top line has been MIA, disinterested and being out scored by every other team. So don't come on here and say fans are jumping off the bandwagon. They are concerned with the overall play of the team in most of the games this year and have a right to complain. We have allowed a terrible amount of goals. Who is to blame for that?

Calm down my friend. They are a work in progress. I get frustrated and disappointed too They will have good games when things click and some stinkers and everything in between. Doesn't do any good to say it's this or that persons fault. I feel that everyone from Benning to the water boy wants to win. What I see so often is after a win everyone is we got it..here we go... book the cup parade and then they lose the next game and it's fire and trade everyone cause they're incompetent no talents and it's often the same posters saying both things. Last I looked they're 3rd the division which is still a playoff position. Yes be realistic about weaknesses but still recognize that there are some positives.. So just my opinion.

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

You missed the point partner.  Yes Miller doesn't look good right now nor do a number of top guys.

Is Green capable of coaching him or is he showing a lack of respect? Would he be playing better if he had some fear and respect for his coach rather than acting like a loose cannon?

Our coaching duo, Mr Bean and his half-cousin, scare nobody.

Players are only trying when they feel like it.

Oh so terribly tired for this game, how they gonna feel tomorrow?

Which of our goalies can we least ruin tomorrow?

I'd shelter Demko, play Louie in net if Holtby's exhausted.

To think, this performance was from very well paid professional athletes, no less.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Tough to properly dissect things against a team that’s just lopsidedly kicking our asses. 

Still, games like this make me wish we did the old “build from the net out.”  Goaltending has been a bright spot for JB’s tenure but D has always been a work in progress... last year two of our top 4 D were still inherited from the previous management. 

Hughes is a grand slam and I like Schmidt and Myers... but none are particularly great in their own zone and it certainly shows at times.   That’s an area of concern considering those 3 are the core of our back end moving forwards.

The cap situation is going to balance itself out over the next 2 offseasons (and the bottom 6 is playing great to start this year anyways.) D seems like a tough thing to try and build on the fly here and is probably JB’s biggest challenge going forward. 

I dont like Myers or his contract. Schmidt is ok but Tanev is better defensively. We gave up stecher and he only wanted 1.6 mil. Our whole D was destroyed over the offseason. We also lost our all star goalie but I wont fault Benning for that because of expansion draft. I really think Benning needs to sign Tryamkin or a defensive D man as good as Tanev otherwise he could be on the hot seat if he isnt now. 

Why is everyone willing to give Benning a pass on his tenure so far? He's been hear almost 7 years. He's drafted well. His trades have been 50/50 but I think he gets a fail in free agency. The cap hell we are in right now is his fault and everyone keeps saying wait a couple of years and everything will even itself out. It will come off the book. Its wasted time for Pettersson and Hughes here. It's his fault we have to wait a couple of years and people just want to sweep that away likes it's no big deal. It's a big reason we couldn't bring anyone back or add anyone now. He shouldn't be let off so easy.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Perhaps he feels our window is beyond Tanev's useful tenure. This was never to be a contending year. It's about development for a few years from now--even next year if we are able to swing some deals at the deadline or in the off season. Just hope the coach has not lost the room. if he has, it's time for JB's mulligan.

I don't know, I kind of disagree.

Maybe the plan was to start contending in two years but last year's playoff run opened the window of contention -- so the first 2 years of Tanev's 4 year contract would be  overlapping with the windown. Teams like Toronto couldn't win a round, we won 2 rounds (3 if you count the play-in). It's like JB opened the window with good roster moves and then realized that he opened it too soon, so he closed it by letting go of all of the UFAs. 

I think with some tinkering we could have had a shot at the conference finals and maybe the SCF this season. Getting Schmidt for 3rd was a step in the right direction. OJ and Chatfield would have been infused into the lineup. If JB re-signed Tanev, that would have fixed the defence.