The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If Tanev was still here and Markstrom was already injured, fans would be bemoaning his re-signing right now. 

The detractors would've killed Benning for handing out either contract, to be fair. Kind of a no-win situation. 

In hindsight I think I would've invested more time on Tanev (& Toff) rather than Markstrom. The skaters on this team aren't good enough.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Grape said:

Tanev is 31. We would've been "stuck" with his contract eventually too. There's not much of a difference between the two impact wise, and I wouldn't go as far as to call him the "heart and soul" of our team.

Schmidt has always been an analytic darling and I think it's way too early to say that was a bad move. 

Well it's 14 games ... sooooo... ha ha revisionist history already set in given the teams struggling.  lol. 

For sure it's way too early, can't pass judgement for maybe two years.   But losing does crazy things to peoples heads.   Like forgetting that BB was injured which is the ONLY reason we could afford TT in the first place.   Not a team in the league would choose TT over BB.   And that even with all three in the lineup we were absolutely owned by Schmidt and Vegas.   And without Demko's heroics we'd be likely out if 5.  Yes i'm pretty sure if we kept all three we'd have a better shot at 3 or 4th this year ... but we wouldn't be contenders and our fate would be sealed.   Almost certainly as a mediocre team ... 

JB did the right thing for the future of the club.   Losing sucks.   But the goal is cup.  He f!cling better follow through though .... he's added 8.5 million to our cap with this direction  -  and better picks this year.   That's what counts the most and for sure he needs to make the best of it. 

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Crazy the amount of damage done in FA. I tried to view deals like Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson & Myers positively - but their harder to defend now with the players they've cost us.

Imagine how much better we'd be with the 9 mill from Myers & Roussel/Beagle spent on Tanev & Toffoli.

Hopefully Seattle takes Myers in the ED

Hindsight is invariably 20-20

and « hope » is not a strategy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes - we can't solve all our issues via free agency for sure - still need some of our youth to come in and make an impact.   Feel with the extra dough we can fix two of the 4 or so roster issues at the moment.    That's it.    Could be five if goaltending doesn't work out with Demko, but i think he will be fine, miles ahead of where Markstrom was at the same time, but it is a fickle position so not really sure. 

Oh yeah. Hence why if you go after a UFA it should be a good one that fits in well. We're in a position where we're gonna have young players throughout our lineup. The only positions we should look to fill are a top 6 fwd, top 4 D and perhaps a 3rd C so that the youngsters can play with someone solid.

If the season continues to progress like this we're likely looking at a top 5 pick(top 10 at least). That's another impact player right there. Trade away guys like Pearson/Sutter/Benn/Edler(if he waives) you could net more picks and maybe luck out with one. I reckon Pearson and Edler could net at least a 2nd round pick. Habs have a ton of picks this year, maybe they wanna reunite Tanner and Tyler? wishful thinking. Could use the picks we get to try to move Eriksson too.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Crazy the amount of damage done in FA. I tried to view deals like Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson & Myers positively - but their harder to defend now with the players they've cost us.

Imagine how much better we'd be with the 9 mill from Myers & Roussel/Beagle spent on Tanev & Toffoli.

Hopefully Seattle takes Myers in the ED

If we trade enough assets for picks/prospects I would try to make a deal with Seattle to take Myers. If not that then try to trade Eriksson who'd have 1 year left. You manage to trade one of them away you can probably both sign a top 4 D and top 6 FWD depending on what Hughes/Petey take. A Hall/Hamilton level player or two would go a long way. I would go after quality UFAs, no more middling players. We're gonna have enough young players throughout the lineup to replace most of these players. Where the only help we'll need will be in these key places like Top 4 D, Top 6 FWD, 3rd C(maybe?).

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Oh yeah. Hence why if you go after a UFA it should be a good one that fits in well. We're in a position where we're gonna have young players throughout our lineup. The only positions we should look to fill are a top 6 fwd, top 4 D and perhaps a 3rd C so that the youngsters can play with someone solid.

If the season continues to progress like this we're likely looking at a top 5 pick(top 10 at least). That's another impact player right there. Trade away guys like Pearson/Sutter/Benn/Edler(if he waives) you could net more picks and maybe luck out with one. I reckon Pearson and Edler could net at least a 2nd round pick. Habs have a ton of picks this year, maybe they wanna reunite Tanner and Tyler? wishful thinking. Could use the picks we get to move Eriksson too.

If we trade enough assets for picks/prospects I would try to make a deal with Seattle to take Myers. If not that then try to trade Eriksson who'd have 1 year left. You manage to trade one of them away you can probably both sign a top 4 D and top 6 FWD depending on what Hughes/Petey take. A Hall/Hamilton level player or two would go a long way. I would go after quality UFAs, no more middling players. We're gonna have enough young players throughout the lineup to replace most of these players. Where the only help we'll need will be in these key places like Top 4 D, Top 6 FWD, 3rd C(maybe?).

I’ve never seen JB in sell mode, would be interesting if he is able to pull it off and get more picks.  

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Agreed. And besides its a flat cap world, if you want to round out your roster there should be options on the cheap - ala Hamonic - available.

The 2 points of the offseason should be pursuing quality UFAs, as you say, and also cutting the deadweight on this roster.

I'd dangle Gaudette to either acquire a quality player, or move bad money. Same with Virtanen (if he even has value).

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They should have traded Boes, kept TT and come out with a top 4 damn and draft pick on top of it.

But they got a top 4 d man in schmidt.  Its not his fault the defensive systems implemented here are sub par (to say the least).  I have a feeling even if Alexe Pietrangelo came here he would look like Brian Glynn back there.

What would have been nice is to have kept Tanev also.  Schmidt + Tanev on the roster would have been a net gain.  Tanev settled QH down - a nice complimentary player for the kid.  Now they have him paired with a #7 guy and working him like a rented mule.   Its not looking so good.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed. And besides its a flat cap world, if you want to round out your roster there should be options on the cheap - ala Hamonic - available.

The 2 points of the offseason should be pursuing quality UFAs, as you say, and also cutting the deadweight on this roster.

I'd dangle Gaudette to either acquire a quality player, or move bad money. Same with Virtanen (if he even has value).

Gaudette has proven absolutely zero and Green has destroyed any value Virtanen ever had.  If you want a valuable piece back, you have to give up a valuable piece.  The time to do that was the off season when they could sign someone to fill a hole in the lineup.  Like it or not, we will be riding this mine cart to the bottom for the rest of this season.  

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gillis only dealt one first round pick; I believe Benning in charge of a rebuilding team team has actually dealt MORE picks.  The knock on Gillis I have is that he didn’t go ‘all in’ when he had the chance (ie., deal more picks).

Gillis and Benning were also opposites. Gillis for the exception of Horvat was horrible at drafting. Benning is meh on trades. What Gillis was getting on contracts he was creating problems with NMC's. Problem is free agents are commanding a premium in the market. Gillis realized far too late that the core had ran out of gas. 

Both GM's couldn't just trade the Twins, with a $12 million cap hit. I think the main issue is coaching and systems. The team can't run and gun. I know players might hate it.

But clearly we need a defensive system and work on puck possession. And get shots on goal. Keeping the puck in the offensive zone will cure both the defensive issues and create more scoring. I also think this is an example of a team working too much for skill. They are forgetting they need size and speed as well. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gillis and Benning were also opposites. Gillis for the exception of Horvat was horrible at drafting. Benning is meh on trades. What Gillis was getting on contracts he was creating problems with NMC's. Problem is free agents are commanding a premium in the market. Gillis realized far too late that the core had ran out of gas. 

Both GM's couldn't just trade the Twins, with a $12 million cap hit. I think the main issue is coaching and systems. The team can't run and gun. I know players might hate it.

But clearly we need a defensive system and work on puck possession. And get shots on goal. Keeping the puck in the offensive zone will cure both the defensive issues and create more scoring. I also think this is an example of a team working too much for skill. They are forgetting they need size and speed as well. 

As bad as Nonis was as a GM; he was a solid #2 (at least I think he was).  I think that's what lacking in each of our last two GM's.

Even the great Caesar had Labienus.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

The Canucks are playing horribly this year. I don't think a knee jerk trade like trading Boeser will accomplish anything. If anything, it may make them play up to potential again. 

I think this is the year we play through our bumps and bruises. 

We have a bright future with our young core. We thought going into the season our defense was solid but it has shown holes. We're seeing gaffes from both forwards and defense leading to turnovers and odd man chances. 

In a covid shortened season with so many variables, I think the right thing to do is be patient with this group

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gaudette has proven absolutely zero and Green has destroyed any value Virtanen ever had.  If you want a valuable piece back, you have to give up a valuable piece.  The time to do that was the off season when they could sign someone to fill a hole in the lineup.  Like it or not, we will be riding this mine cart to the bottom for the rest of this season.  

Speaking of guys who shouldve been traded years ago; Jake destroyed Jake's value. This organization has given him opportunity after opportunity - that isn't on Green.

Gaudette was a productive bottom 6 scorer last season. Teams will take him just because he's young & doesn't cost you alot.

The point was it's time to get what you can & move on from these players - rather than thinking they can return the sun & the moon. 

• Cheers 1