The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

47 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Honestly that was so bad they could win next 5 games 10-0 and its meaningless. 

There are memes about this team now I would post a copy of the memes that

are going around on every players locker. I understand slides but have 

some f*cking pride. We lose like this because were acting like a bunch 

of losers. 

It's been a tough year. So many ex players haunting us, McD lighting us up, TO easily lighting us up. It's been tough so far. When do we play Ottawa again?

Why do I always hear the same excuse that noone is to be blamed but the players because they cant execute on their chances.

I think the main concern here is our defensive system is just sloppy. If we keep getting outshot every game while our opponents scores 5 goals or more, even if the canucks can execute properly, they still won't win any games.

Full credit to the Leafs but, whether it's motivation or fatigue, the team needs to find another gear.

Goal
1 (Matthews): Miller basically stopped skating 
2 (Matthews): credit to Marner for the smart pass, knowing where Matthews was going to be and tough to blame Demko for not hugging a post 
3 (Spezza): Edler screened Demko
4 (Spezza): Gaudette probably needed to get back/ Hughes might've needed to cover the recipient of the pass instead of boxing out Engvall(?)
5 (Tavares): rarity to see Motte get caught out of position but needed to box out the Leaf captain
6 (Spezza): tough to say, when you're hot you're hot, Sutter pulled out a similar move 
7 (Marner): line got trapped out there, can hardly blame Sutter for not retrieving the puck, but I wonder if Edler again screened Demko or if he would have stopped it 

Good effort on the offensive end with the top-6 generating the offense we had (grinding out a goal in front, then Miller sniped one and Horvat the other in a timely response), but they need to find that extra gear (and Edler, please stop screening the goalie).  Hope Benn's fight can somehow spark them for the next couple.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

I'm taking that directly from Green from interviews where he explicitly states that he's not worried about high shot totals we give up each game. There is obviously a structural discrepancy in the coaching philosophy where the belief that giving up shots in the ballpark of 40 each game isn't something to worry about or needed to be corrected. So yes, there's a large reason to believe that coaching has a huge hand in the bizarre system our defense is currently executing 

Fwiw Barry Trotz says he couldn’t care less about the amount of shots they face.  He says he’s fully confident in their system and won’t give them anything.  A rival coach says they let you shoot but dictate from where.  

Unlike NYI, the Canucks don’t seem to limit high danger scoring chances.

Last season the Canucks were bottom-5 in mid-to-high danger scoring chances allowed per CSA but Markstrom was the best goalie in saves above expected.  By January they had him winning 8 games above expected based on the type of shots exchanged.  Kevin Woodley often cites them in his segments.

CSA defines mid-to-high danger scoring chances as plays that have an expected conversion rate of 10% or more.  CSA is probably the most elaborate tracking out there because they capture the full context of the play that leads to a shot on net - number of screens, passing play, etc.

Before this game CSA had the Canucks ranked 30th in high danger expected goals against per 60 so far this season.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

when you let Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom, Stecher, Leivo walk, there will obviously be a night and day difference. Thats the whole depth right there.

Leivo wasn't even good enough to break the lineup when he played for TO. He is a glorified AHL'er. If he was on the ice tonight it would have made no difference in the outcome.  Zero. Toffolli played what, 12 games for us last year?  Did he really become the heart and soul of this team in 12 games? They just can't win without him? Stech was a less skilled version of Hughes. He likes to pinch and get in on the offense but wasn't great defensively. When Hughes came along he became redundant.

The Canucks ARE missing Tanev and Markstrom. Tanev for his responsible play in his own end and shot blocks. Markstrom because he had the ability to steal games and kept us in it every night.  Demko clearly isn't ready and Holtby looks average so far at best. What this team needs to do now is make adjustments to their system to compensate.  They need to abandon their passive 5 man  box defensive structure and be more aggressive to limit the scoring chances on their average goal tenders. Will Green do it? Sadly, no. If you want to see this team win again that will require a new coaching staff with fresh insights.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Fwiw Barry Trotz says he couldn’t care less about the amount of shots they face.  No team has won more games while being outshot than NYI last season.  He says he’s fully confident in their system and won’t give them anything.  A rival coach says they let you shoot but dictate from where.  

Unlike NYI, the Canucks don’t seem to limit high danger scoring chances.

The Isles have 2 players under 26 years old in their top 11 scorers.

Last year- a couple 22 yr olds and 2x 25 in their top 14....(everyone with more than 10 pts).

6 of the Canucks top 8 are under 25.  same thing last year.

18 on the roster

13 have been in the lineup this year.

slightly different 'stages' of those two teams, if you're looking to make them comparables.

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I 'hate' the Leafs as much as anyone here.  And hate losing to that city.

But I see you sidestepped the irony - about kicking people when they're down.    

If you don't approve  - (and certainly no one would want that in a team-mate) - then why approach your team in precisely that way?

That's the ugly point here.

For me, even the way you frame your objection is odd - no one is stopping you from venting.  You're the moderator here.

If I had the power to "let people vent" or not, I couldn't care less to exercise it.  But I'd "let" the counterpoint be vented - and that's what that was.

I take your point that it's probably a waste of time and words that will be received the wrong way.

I'm not here to be yet another enabler of the  'poor-me/poor us' / 'we' suck thing that runs rampant constantly in here.   I should know better by now though - these GDT/PGTs are not something I should engage in.

I sidestepped it because it wasn’t a valid point to me. You think the players  and coaches are reading the forum and feel kicked when they’re down? Trust me. Neither of us is that important.

Just to be clear, I was engaging you as fellow board member (who usually agrees with what you have to say but disagreed with your approach here) and not as a Moderator telling you that you can’t post a counter point. 

We are here to enforce the rules, not to make you conform to our opinion on the team or the fans. If there was an issue with the rules I would resolve it directly. Until then I’m just another dude on a sports forum that hates seeing his team lose to the Leafs. 

Cheers. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Full credit to the Leafs but, whether it's motivation or fatigue, the team needs to find another gear.

Goal
1 (Matthews): Miller basically stopped skating 
2 (Matthews): credit to Marner for the smart pass, knowing where Matthews was going to be and tough to blame Demko for not hugging a post 
3 (Spezza): Edler screened Demko
4 (Spezza): Gaudette probably needed to get back/ Hughes might've needed to cover the recipient of the pass instead of boxing out Engvall(?)
5 (Tavares): rarity to see Motte get caught out of position but needed to box out the Leaf captain
6 (Spezza): tough to say, when you're hot you're hot, Sutter pulled out a similar move 
7 (Marner): line got trapped out there, can hardly blame Sutter for not retrieving the puck, but I wonder if Edler again screened Demko or if he would have stopped it 

Good effort on the offensive end with the top-6 generating the offense we had (grinding out a goal in front, then Miller sniped one and Horvat the other in a timely response), but they need to find that extra gear (and Edler, please stop screening the goalie).  Hope Benn's fight can somehow spark them for the next couple.

Like your review.

Another thing is that the D is forcing passes that don't need to be made.

The team does not seem to have any emotion in the games. They just seem to be there. In the playoffs they were facing giants it was hard hitting and the Canucks rose to the occasion. These Canucks seem stuck in the mundane. If that is the case, we need the leadership group to step up.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Spamaplan - 4 first round exits.

Benning's team went further with a core of 20 and 21 year olds (and no pair of lottery champions).

thanks for the fishbowl selfie, though.

And once upon a time the Vancouver Canucks were the best team in Canada and won the presidents trophy twice as the best team in the NHL

Benning has never had more 20 year olds, one every 2nd year with this losing season an exception forced on him because the bank shut the doors

TO fans are upset because the team gets bounced learning how to win in the playoffs

Vancouver fans almost pee themselves thinking the team might make the playoffs once again in 7 years

One fan base expects better playoff performances the other hopes for a playoff performance.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Isles have 2 players under 26 years old in their top 11 scorers.

Last year- a couple 22 yr olds and 2x 25 in their top 14....(everyone with more than 10 pts).

6 of the Canucks top 8 are under 25.  same thing last year.

18 on the roster

13 have been in the lineup this year.

slightly different 'stages' of those two teams, if you're looking to make them comparables.

Last season Hughes was the only rookie D.  Also not comparing teams.  Was more a comment that number of shots don’t really matter as much as quality of shots.  2nd part was simply an observation.  They are now without Markstrom and will need to find another way to get those saves.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1