The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, gurn said:

Hogs, the guy that has been arguably the best forward on the team, gets dropped to 3rd line.

Not enough little things?

It means he’ll face easier matchups though.

We gotta get scoring from all four lines to be successful. Who knows maybe this will give us better balance.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting to see both Gaudette and Virtanen out now.

If you can’t play either of these guys regularly maybe it’s time to look at a trade for help on D.

won't net much return for a D. Maybe for  a dwindling F who is in the same spot as Gaud or Jake, otherwise a mid round pick

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Hogs, the guy that has been arguably the best forward on the team, gets dropped to 3rd line.

Coach wants him paired with Baileys speed, I would think.  Plus, Loui with Bo and Pearson has been a very effective line 

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

won't net much return for a D. Maybe for  a dwindling F who is in the same spot as Gaud or Jake, otherwise a mid round pick

There’s always teams with an extra D that isn’t getting minutes.

They might be a project player but at this point both of those two guys are looking like ones.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I think it’s more to get Bo going again than it is about dropping Hoglander. Horvat actually played well with Eriksson believe it or not. That said, I’d prefer to put Hoglander with Petey and Boes and drop Miller.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean.... our defence has been a disaster. I'm not a Myers basher but based on the last few games there's a guy who could possibly stand to take a break.......

Yeah I agree he's struggled. Myers is so erratic, even through a single game.

Can't see Green taking him out unless his play falls off a cliff for a prolonged period.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Time for Green to think outside the box

Let's face it, Hughes isn't a defenseman. He has 15 points, 7 of which are on the powerplay, where he is + 6 Goal differential (he was on the PP for one shorty - Schmidt was on for the other 2).  He has been on the ice for 14 even strength goals (scored 1 himself) but is a - 9 on even strength goal differential (ie,  been on the ice for 23 even strength goals against.) Next worst is Chatfield at a -3 differential,  then Myers at -2. Best is Schmidt at +5, followed by Juolevi at a + 2 differential 

Clearly his value is not defense, but offence.  So play him there.  Bring in Juolevi in his place on left D and play Hughes as a winger.for a few games. He can still man the point on the PP

Oh boy.

You know it’s desperate times when people are actually throwing out converting Hughes to wing.

Hughes is a defenseman. He needs a stable D partner that can effectively cover for him when he gets caught up ice.

I see a tired player that is being played too much. Let’s not get carried away.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

From the previous few pages....it seems we can't have Juolevi in due to cap space...he requires double his salary in cap space now for some weird reason....and somehow Erikkson doesn't...?

Not sure, I'd have to read or check cap friendly. Probably because of Juolevi's RFA status, maybe something particular.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Myers

Hughes Schmidt

Juolevi Benn

I dunno but I prefer that balance

Yeah at this point that might be a good thing to try, Hughes & Schmidt full time.

You could even flop Myers & Benn if you wanted.

Hopefully at some point they'll atleast try that pair, cause Hughes is rly struggling. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Yes that’s why u demote the hardest working player on the team for a plug. Yes that’s going to help the moral

Well he needs a whipping boy and clearly benching Virtanen and Gaudette time and time again isn’t having an effect.

Lets punish the rookie maybe that will send a message.

35 minutes ago, mll said:

They just doubled his recall cap hit.  They now need to demote 2 players to bring him back up.  The taxi squad is maximum 6 players though and they are at 6.  

Yeah, that in itself speaks volumes. What an absolute bonehead move. This is getting ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2