The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've been a fan for 30 years...

Rate this topic

The King

2 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

My favourite sandwich is Ham and egg. But I like to add cheese sometimes because it really brings out the sandwich flavour. On a good day I would toast my sandwich to perfection but on a bad day I just let it me.

I think the best sandwiches are made during the day because I'm not too tired to make a good effort and my family can enjoy them with me. What do you guys think? What are your favorite sandwiches? How do you like them?

I've been making sandwiches for 30 years and these sandwiches... these ones are the worst

57 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Petey isn't friends with Brock, Bo, Huggy?

Come on

Goaltending is not the problem either.

Pettersson was friends with Markstrom and Hughes the same with Tanev. Toffoli  was well liked as well . JB screwed up this team and I dont think the players liked the way the out going Vets were treated. Like I said before all three could have been kept Maybe the contracts would have looked bad in three years but maybe we would have won a cup to. When you have a tight group you go with it. Holtby, Schmidt , needed not be signed Virtanen traded or not signed . the money was there. I would have traded Demko for a young D Man his value was high after the playoffs . But water under the bridge . Right now they need to play better one more loss like that and I would clean house on management and the coach. 

Edited by vannuck59

16 hours ago, CanucksForever2 said:

My favourite sandwich is Ham and egg. But I like to add cheese sometimes because it really brings out the sandwich flavour. On a good day I would toast my sandwich to perfection but on a bad day I just let it me.

I think the best sandwiches are made during the day because I'm not too tired to make a good effort and my family can enjoy them with me. What do you guys think? What are your favorite sandwiches? How do you like them?

I really enjoy homemade meatball sandwiches.

The meatballs are the star of the show. It's really important to have great meatballs with a good sauce.

The one mistake that gets made is having bread that is too thin. Thick bread adds depth to the sandwich and allows the sauce to soak in. Without depth and a strong foundation the stars of my sandwich really can't preform to the best of their ability.

Sometimes when I am on a budget I have to buy cheap ingredients and the sandwich isn't as good. The trick is to market the sandwich as a primo sandwich even though it stinks with bad ingredients.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, but I just don't take threads like these seriously. If you want to cheer for another team, great. Do it. However, I see threads like these as nothing more than vents of frustration rather than actually switching teams.

If you've been cheering for a team for 35 years, if the going gets better again... you're not going to cheer against that. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Pettersson was friends with Markstrom and Hughes the same with Tanev. Toffoli  was well liked as well . JB screwed up this team and I dont think the players liked the way the out going Vets were treated. Like I said before all three could have been kept Maybe the contracts would have looked bad in three years but maybe we would have won a cup to. When you have a tight group you go with it. Holtby, Schmidt , needed not be signed Virtanen traded or not signed . the money was there. I would have traded Demko for a young D Man his value was high after the playoffs . But water under the bridge . Right now they need to play better one more loss like that and I would clean house on management and the coach. 

Man come on. My friend got let go...I sucked it up because I had a job to do.

There's lots of blame to go around. But did signing Schmitt was it actually a really bad move? He's got a mouth, and pretty strong personality. He doesn't seem to be

the defenceman he was with Vegas. He doesn't seem to be overtly physical. Doesn't seem to defend that well. And worse doesn't seem to help the offence. 

Did he lead to sort of destroying the chemistry on the team? I find him entertaining. But if he's throwing off his teammates, even unintentionally. Maybe he's not the right fit here? Worse yet he's only two years younger than Tanev. So it's not like some type of massive upgrade.

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's lots of blame to go around. But did signing Schmitt was it actually a really bad move? He's got a mouth, and pretty strong personality. He doesn't seem to be

the defenceman he was with Vegas. He doesn't seem to be overtly physical. Doesn't seem to defend that well. And worse doesn't seem to help the offence. 

Did he lead to sort of destroying the chemistry on the team? I find him entertaining. But if he's throwing off his teammates, even unintentionally. Maybe he's not the right fit here? Worse yet he's only two years younger than Tanev. So it's not like some type of massive upgrade.

I'm no fan of Benning but I can't go back and rip him on the Schmidt trade as it was a clear steal in a vacuum. Schmidt was playing at a top-4 level (at worst) both visually and statistically. He was also signed to a fair deal and at a prime age, so that entire package together is worth way more than a 3rd round pick.

That said, he hasn't looked good so far, pretty much exactly how you describe. What he was supposed to be was a two-way skating/puck-moving D-man that played with a lot of energy and instead he's playing like all our other D-men right now: chicken with his head cut off in his own zone, bad turnovers, nothing particular special in the transition and offensive game. Hughes is our only D-man that stands out offensively but he's also arguably been our worst defensively. 

Tanev was beloved by the locker room and Schmidt is a loud personality. I'm sure he's a good guy in general but he's coming into a tough situation; he's replacing a favorite and the team is playing like butt. The COVID protocols probably aren't helping with the acclimation process either.

I'm not one to give this management team a pass on anything but I'd wait and see how he plays next year after a "hopefully" somewhat normal off-season and training camp.

Schmidt is the result of a better system and better coaching and  frankly better management. McPhee new exactly what he was doing, this was no steal by Benning. When McPhee identified he needed to upgrade his defence he singled out the player to get rid of. He was just plain lucky JB put his hand up. Schmidt is not better than Edler but is better than Benn. Good work by McPhee he must be smiling now. This bring me around to what are our Pro scouts up to. I understand JB had boxed himself into a corner with the departure of Tanev and Stecher but Vegas should have carried some of the salary IMO. Oh well within a year fans are going to be complaining about Schmidt like they are about LE, JB and AR. But it's too late. He, Schmidt, is OK but no saviour IMO and he only cost $6 million :lol:

18 hours ago, CanucksForever2 said:

Once at Subway I got a meatball + pepperoni + bacon on cheese bread.

Try it. Trust me. It's good

Other than that, grilled cheese is a classic, ham and cheddar/swiss always a good choice, but there are so many to choose from that it's hard to just pick ONE favorite.

Great post, should have its own thread!

1 hour ago, ImConfused said:

Once at Subway I got a meatball + pepperoni + bacon on cheese bread.

Try it. Trust me. It's good

Other than that, grilled cheese is a classic, ham and cheddar/swiss always a good choice, but there are so many to choose from that it's hard to just pick ONE favorite.

Great post, should have its own thread!

Shaved Smoked meat, mustard, mayo, black pepper and pickled onions, all layed thick ...

Ham and swiss is classic good like PB & J (the desert sandwhich)...

Lobster Roll .... 

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm no fan of Benning but I can't go back and rip him on the Schmidt trade as it was a clear steal in a vacuum. Schmidt was playing at a top-4 level (at worst) both visually and statistically. He was also signed to a fair deal and at a prime age, so that entire package together is worth way more than a 3rd round pick.

That said, he hasn't looked good so far, pretty much exactly how you describe. What he was supposed to be was a two-way skating/puck-moving D-man that played with a lot of energy and instead he's playing like all our other D-men right now: chicken with his head cut off in his own zone, bad turnovers, nothing particular special in the transition and offensive game. Hughes is our only D-man that stands out offensively but he's also arguably been our worst defensively. 

Tanev was beloved by the locker room and Schmidt is a loud personality. I'm sure he's a good guy in general but he's coming into a tough situation; he's replacing a favorite and the team is playing like butt. The COVID protocols probably aren't helping with the acclimation process either.

I'm not one to give this management team a pass on anything but I'd wait and see how he plays next year after a "hopefully" somewhat normal off-season and training camp.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I don't quite agree with you Schmidt.    

Schmidt has looked "good," but just hasn't looked 'great' like his usual self.   His underlying metrics are actually "good," so far in a Canucks uniform but he just hasn't been elite.    I'm still not entirely sure why Green is playing Schmidt on his LEFT side with Tyler Myers.    Schmidt is better on the right side and performs much better with a strong two-way type player.    Put Schmidt with Edler or put Schmidt with Juolevi.   

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I don't quite agree with you Schmidt.    

Schmidt has looked "good," but just hasn't looked 'great' like his usual self.   His underlying metrics are actually "good," so far in a Canucks uniform but he just hasn't been elite.    I'm still not entirely sure why Green is playing Schmidt on his LEFT side with Tyler Myers.    Schmidt is better on the right side and performs much better with a strong two-way type player.    Put Schmidt with Edler or put Schmidt with Juolevi.   

You're right. I'd say he hasn't been "bad", perhaps average overall. And yes, relative to his teammates, he's been good, but that's not really saying much.

And I agree, Schmidt should be playing on the right side.

I don't have much doubt that we see better from him overtime.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

If you’ve been a Canucks fan for 30 years this isn’t even a blip on the screen in context with just how low this organization has gone , remember the Messier years ? Hell this is just a small losing streak. 

This. This is why this is a silly thread more than anything. If this is what puts you over the top after 30+ years, I start to wonder how lose of a cannon you are in real life at this point in time compared with the previous 30 years.