The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've been a fan for 30 years...

Rate this topic

The King

I agree with the resentment.

Marky was the biggest one we lost. He was the team’s MVP last year and we let him walk just like that.

The next big one we lost was TT. As mentioned we gave up assets for him, to what play just 10 games and playoffs? He wanted to stay and was never even offered a contract. A contract that would have been so cheap to sign. JB decided to keep JV instead. How long till folks realize JV will never be a star in the NHL, never mind a regular player?

Tanev was a good defender but he and Stecher could have been easily replaced by Schmidt and OV.

The debacle of Marky and TT has angered so many fans and I’m sure it has angered many members of this team/coach.

If you think this market is angry now - just imagine if they'd done as you suggest - traded Demko and signed Markstrom.

I think it's pretty clear why they didn't re-sign Toffoli - covid cap stall, no contract movement league-wide, and a couple damn good RW prospects (deepest part of the prospect pool).

I think they 'should have' prioritized Tanev - but you don't always get what you want.   And in fairness, among all the other bizarre context - this strange thing of an OEL wanting to come here did pose an either/or 'dilemna' for them.    That said, my preference was to take care of Tanev, first.   At least the Schmidt opportunity presented - but still - the top shutdown unit is much weaker without him, Hughes doesn't have that situational partner to 'shelter' him - and to make matters worse, the RHD veteran they did sign, struggled and then got injured....

Whatever.  Chatfield getting forged by fire as a rookie shutdown pairing guy haha.

The only (and I stress the ONLY) knock I see on JB is hearing through the grapevine (ie. not proven fact, I feel I need to point that out), that JB was hyper-focused on getting OEL which potentially caused some of the signings with other teams to happen. There is a possibility that there was a lack of communication between JB and our own free agents. That is the one knock I will give JB if that is true.

Even so, we got a pretty good deal with Hamonic given his value and got a steal of a trade with Schmidt. Markstrom for 6mil a season? Also no thanks in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, CanucksForever2 said:

My favourite sandwich is Ham and egg. But I like to add cheese sometimes because it really brings out the sandwich flavour. On a good day I would toast my sandwich to perfection but on a bad day I just let it me.

I think the best sandwiches are made during the day because I'm not too tired to make a good effort and my family can enjoy them with me. What do you guys think? What are your favorite sandwiches? How do you like them?

I like sandwiches with 9 inch black jumbo tofu dogs with a side of white creamy tartar sauce.  

I recall going to games at the Pacific Coloseum when it was 50% capacity. Then Quinn came in and in a TV interview told fans no team is going to enjoy visiting Vcr from now on Sure we didn't win many more but true to his word no team enjoyed a night in the Pacific Col

In the interviews with Green, he's made a point of the team having little practice together. He stopped short of blaming their poor performance on it, I think, but he really does have a point. You have very well liked, key guys who left, and key guys coming in. The locker room has changed. New guys and new systems for them to learn. Covid doesn't help the feeling of general uncomfortableness. Things are just f'd.

Now, this isn't a sufficient excuse. Everyone is dealing with the 'vid, and these are all professionals being paid a lot of money. But I do get how it could all be challenging. Doesn't explain away poor performances from our returning players either. 

At least Hoglander continues to impress every game. Maybe it's just that he stands out as one of the only guys with hustle out there...

On 2/6/2021 at 6:47 PM, The King said:

35 years of Canuck fandom has had its amazing highs, and some pretty low lows. This year something feels very, very, very off. Covid-19 has caused "Bubble hockey" where the team was definitely punching out of it's weight class, but really exciting to watch. Coming into this season I had tempered expectations, because let's face it they were only a .500 team last year, Where the wheels have fallen off; 1.Why did we let Markstrom (Petersson's only good friend on the team) walk for nothing? Why did we not trade Demko right after he shone in the series against Vegas? We would have gotten a good 1st round pick for sure. It's called asset management. Markstrom 6years for 6 million was completely fair. We now witnessing what bad goaltending results in. 2. Letting Tanev walk was just as laughable, as he had solidified his position as the 1st best defender on the team and the very best fit for Hughes, if your doubting just ask Hughes, I did, and he's pissed. 3. Benning gave up Madden a blue chip prospect and a 2nd for a really good top 6 forward that solidified our top 6, why did he abandon this plan? Why sign a forward in Virtanen for 2.55 million, and your truly don't believe in him, and you even said as much. I love JB, but whoever's behind these moves needs to pay a price. 

With all this said, some will say "oh, easy to say now, but no one has a crystal ball,,," Are you kidding a blind man could see this a mile a way. 

Until this team get's this sorted out, I'm done, it's way to painful to watch, it's like seeing someone you care about destroy themselves. This won't be fixed through free agency, only through a few more years of strong drafting and a couple of astute trades.

Focus on October 1st 2022,

It’s the date that management had circled all along for this team.    The storm between now and then will be a little rough, as it was for the Colorado Avalanche in 2017, but we are much closer than you think.  

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Focus on October 1st 2022,

It’s the date that management had circled all along for this team.  

Curious, what do you mean by "all along".

When exactly do you think management pinpointed this date?

29 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Curious, what do you mean by "all along".

When exactly do you think management pinpointed this date?

“all along” definitely isn’t an accurate term and so that’s a mistake on my part, but I think they’ve had an approximate idea for quite sometime as to when our real window would begin:     All of our bad/transitional contracts expire around the same time:

-Sutter = 2021

-Baertschi = 2021

-Benn = 2021

-Eriksson = 2022

-Beagle = 2022

-Roussel = 2022

-Boeser = year burned off ELC = cost controlled asset for longer period of time

-Hughes = see above

-Spooner = off the books in 2022

-Luongo recapture = off the books in 2022

-That is a LOT of bad contracts expiring at around the same time.   Even in the case of Tyler Myers who is signed well beyond that, Myers can be exposed at the Expansion Draft, and I think management had this built into his contract for a reason.   

-Management also knew about Ferland’s situation:  if Ferland was “the Ferland of old,” then his 3.5 million dollar cap hit would have been good value.  If not, then he’d like retire or be LTIR’d (as we are seeing).   

Then, you look at some of the guys that the Canucks have been acquiring and what their cap hits look like (JT Miller and Nate Schmidt).   All very good cap hits signed long term.  

To me anyways, this screams of management circling 2022-2023 as the season they have circled.    That’s not to say however that they haven’t made mistakes.

-They clearly saw Juolevi as a future Edler replacement but passed on the obvious choice of drafting Tkachuk.

-They underestimated as to how quickly Pettersson and Hughes would develop into superstars and so they gave more money and term to Beagle and Roussel than they should have.  (Not sure if this is what happened but that’s how I see it - that, and them feeling that guys like Gaudette, MacEwen, and Motte weren’t quite ready).

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 6:47 PM, The King said:

35 years of Canuck fandom has had its amazing highs, and some pretty low lows. This year something feels very, very, very off. Covid-19 has caused "Bubble hockey" where the team was definitely punching out of it's weight class, but really exciting to watch. Coming into this season I had tempered expectations, because let's face it they were only a .500 team last year, Where the wheels have fallen off; 1.Why did we let Markstrom (Petersson's only good friend on the team) walk for nothing? Why did we not trade Demko right after he shone in the series against Vegas? We would have gotten a good 1st round pick for sure. It's called asset management. Markstrom 6years for 6 million was completely fair. We now witnessing what bad goaltending results in. 2. Letting Tanev walk was just as laughable, as he had solidified his position as the 1st best defender on the team and the very best fit for Hughes, if your doubting just ask Hughes, I did, and he's pissed. 3. Benning gave up Madden a blue chip prospect and a 2nd for a really good top 6 forward that solidified our top 6, why did he abandon this plan? Why sign a forward in Virtanen for 2.55 million, and your truly don't believe in him, and you even said as much. I love JB, but whoever's behind these moves needs to pay a price. 

With all this said, some will say "oh, easy to say now, but no one has a crystal ball,,," Are you kidding a blind man could see this a mile a way. 

Until this team get's this sorted out, I'm done, it's way to painful to watch, it's like seeing someone you care about destroy themselves. This won't be fixed through free agency, only through a few more years of strong drafting and a couple of astute trades.

With a young, up-and-coming team, trade the best goalie prospect in hockey and sign a 30 year old for six years. Thank God you're not GM.

As someone who is only a part-time Canucks fan, it is funny to me to see how some of the die-hards are getting lost in the weeds. I get that it's been a tough few years, but you're somewhat early in the process. They didn't rip off the band-aid with a drastic tear-down rebuild, but went with a more gradual process. Missing bad on Juolevi with a high pick slowed things down slightly, but it happens and isn't the end of the world. Chicago picked Jack Skille and Cam Barker while building their dynasty, L.A. picked Thomas Hickey and Colton Teubert.

Overall the Canucks have overwhelmingly hit it out of the park in the first round, and now are sitting with potential franchise players at every position, with a 21 year old Quinn Hughes on defense, a 22 year old Elias Pettersson at forward, and a 25 year old Demko in nets. Add in Horvat who is still 25, Boeser is still 24, and Hoglander is just 20.

Sure, they lost some top veterans in Tanev and Markstrom and took a step back this year as a result, but this is the youth fully taking the reins and it's gonna be bumpy at first. They need to make some moves to shore up the defense, absolutely, but I'm pretty confident this can be a contending team by next year, and will be for years to come.

• Cheers 1

Give this team time to improve.  You have to keep in mind that they have played  more games so far with so little practice time with most back to back games than other teams in the division with more road games so far.  They didn't get a chance to settle down during their home stretch with more practice time with so many back to back situations.  The Leafs,and the Habs from last week had their rest and practice time in and it sure showed while the Canucks hadn't had enough practice time in so far and probably won't until March.   You need 3-4 days off to get in practice time in when starting out in the season.

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

As someone who is only a part-time Canucks fan, it is funny to me to see how some of the die-hards are getting lost in the weeds. I get that it's been a tough few years, but you're somewhat early in the process. They didn't rip off the band-aid with a drastic tear-down rebuild, but went with a more gradual process. Missing bad on Juolevi with a high pick slowed things down slightly, but it happens and isn't the end of the world. Chicago picked Jack Skille and Cam Barker while building their dynasty, L.A. picked Thomas Hickey and Colton Teubert.

Overall the Canucks have overwhelmingly hit it out of the park in the first round, and now are sitting with potential franchise players at every position, with a 21 year old Quinn Hughes on defense, a 22 year old Elias Pettersson at forward, and a 25 year old Demko in nets. Add in Horvat who is still 25, Boeser is still 24, and Hoglander is just 20.

Sure, they lost some top veterans in Tanev and Markstrom and took a step back this year as a result, but this is the youth fully taking the reins and it's gonna be bumpy at first. They need to make some moves to shore up the defense, absolutely, but I'm pretty confident this can be a contending team by next year, and will be for years to come.

You are being too rational. Mentally weak fans are berating the mentally weak team for being mentally weak. Typical Canucks fan base. Don't worry though. When the Canucks start winning again, the mentally weak fans will come out of the woods and declare their undying love for this team. 

Edited by Maddogy

9 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

With a young, up-and-coming team, trade the best goalie prospect in hockey and sign a 30 year old for six years. Thank God you're not GM.

Wow, your drinking the Kool aide, big time!  Demko is not even close to being the top goalie prospect in hockey. That's friggin  halarious, oh let me guess you and the other idiots who thought the kid was the real deal from the playoff series against Vegas. That was our opportunity to sell high, and get a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft. We're still building and the strong goaltending provided by Markstrom allowed for the club to play a style that suits our high end players.

1 hour ago, The King said:

Wow, your drinking the Kool aide, big time!  Demko is not even close to being the top goalie prospect in hockey. That's friggin  halarious, oh let me guess you and the other idiots who thought the kid was the real deal from the playoff series against Vegas. That was our opportunity to sell high, and get a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft. We're still building and the strong goaltending provided by Markstrom allowed for the club to play a style that suits our high end players.

Name the goalie prospects you think are better. I'm open to debate.

Edited by HighOnHockey

On 2/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, grandmaster said:

I agree with the resentment.

Marky was the biggest one we lost. He was the team’s MVP last year and we let him walk just like that.

The next big one we lost was TT. As mentioned we gave up assets for him, to what play just 10 games and playoffs? He wanted to stay and was never even offered a contract. A contract that would have been so cheap to sign. JB decided to keep JV instead. How long till folks realize JV will never be a star in the NHL, never mind a regular player?

Tanev was a good defender but he and Stecher could have been easily replaced by Schmidt and OV.

The debacle of Marky and TT has angered so many fans and I’m sure it has angered many members of this team/coach.

I think I might understand the reasons for why Benning has held onto Jake for as long as he has. Maybe he truly believed that Virtanen could turn it around, until the last. playoffs, and maybe now, where his job and his ass is on the line. But he also drafted Jake back in 2014. Maybe that was due to pressure from Aquilini's, I don't know for sure. 

I've been one of his biggest supporters. Wanting so badly for Jake to break out in blue and green. Would be painful to see him break out in another organization's colors, especially if it were to be Boston. Ugh. 

But at this point, Benning's either going to dig deeper with Virtanen, believing that he can break out and he will, or he's going to want to save his bum, and get whatever he can for a flailing former first round pick. 

Juolevi played well tonight against the Leafs, I have to admit. He's less risky than Chatfield is, so I'll take Olli over Jalen any day, if it helps us not bleed 5-7 goals every game we play. 

1 hour ago, The King said:

I think if any season were to be a lost season, i guess this season could be it. With the vaccine coming, next season seems plausible that fans could start going back to the games in person. Can't imagine the verbal abuse that the players could receive if the house were to be full. We'd be pretty pissed and rightfully so. No paying fan would be happy to see their home team give up 7 &^@#ing goals, and playing like they don't want to be there. 

With regards to Demko. Could me in as one who believes that he's going to be a star in the league. At the very least, he's going to be a very solid #1 goalie. He was drafted and groomed over the years to be the Canucks starting goaltender eventually. 

The team would need to learn to play defense eventually. They can't keep playing a run and gun kind of game. The WCE played that type of game, and they never even got to the Cup finals. The Sedins era teams were responsible defensively and they could play great offense. 

This team is so young, they haven't really learned how to play well defensively - based off of the last few games that we've been able to witness at least. 

On 06/02/2021 at 6:47 PM, The King said:

Are you for real? Tanev has long long longgggg list of injuries and age is going to start playing a factor so for anyone who would be willing to depend on that for the next four year needs their head examined, a 2 year term tops like Edler got would have been fine but 4? no way! that's hilarious, glad JB didn't pull off that bit of stupidity..  Tanev was a good mentor for Hughes while it lasted BUT Hughes will be fine with or without him and my first game on the radio as a kid was in 74 and believe me, I'm f'n tired of the same ole b.s. year after year until someone finally had the balls not to bow to public "win it all now and sell the farm" bull$&!# got us exactly where? how many cups have we won exactly? geeez that's worked out well hasn't it? 

Edited by iceman64