The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let`s all chill and give ourselves and the team a bit of time thread

Rate this topic

alucard

Forget an experienced NHL coach. Send in your resume!

You got this!

Spoiler

In all seriousness, this is a pretty level-headed take on things to come and I'm glad someone around here besides me has the fortitude enough to endure a year or two more of pain in order to get to where we want the team to be. Nice work OP

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

JB would be a bone head if he started messing with the core right now. 

His move only logical move during this season is the coach. My hope is JB gets fired at the end of the year.

I blame JB for a big part of this mess. It was so clear that Marky was the reason the team was so good. He was the MVP without question yet we lose him to keep a “goalie of the future” who had 3 great games? What the hell was that. How many times have we heard “goalie of the future” that ends up being not so? We had a sure thing in Marky and he would have been the better choice, regardless of Seattle potentially claiming Demko.

Also like how TT is making JB look like a fool right now. :picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

His move only logical move during this season is the coach. My hope is JB gets fired at the end of the year.

I blame JB for a big part of this mess. It was so clear that Marky was the reason the team was so good. He was the MVP without question yet we lose him to keep a “goalie of the future” who had 3 great games? What the hell was that. How many times have we heard “goalie of the future” that ends up being not so? We had a sure thing in Marky and he would have been the better choice, regardless of Seattle potentially claiming Demko.

Gotta say I'd definitely pay the extra for Markstrom over what Holtby's paid right now, but the thing is, I don't think I'd pay that much for the next 6 years.

Toffoli is overrated but it'd have been nice to keep him if we didn't have to pay little things Loui the big bucks.

It is what it is. C'est la vie.

Bring on the Lames!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Markie was masking a lot of problems.

maybe it`s not a bad thing the problems are revealed, remember the last year markie got injured and team went down.

maybe not a bad thing to now fix the fundamentals.

Demko future as a goalie of the future needed to be tested it was coming sooner or later.

core is here and it`s a good core, hope they don`t f*** themselves and their spirit in this season,draft a good D,add poldi,

Hire a coach like Gallant and take the next step.

Building the core is done now it`s time to build a contender.

Edited by BENN
  • Like 3
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

We can't rely on Marky forever. I think JB made the right move to let Marky go, especially with the expansion draft coming around the corner. I don't think goaltending is currently the issue right now, the defense is terrible and I guess a lot of it is due to the tough schedule and the lack of practice time. I do agree though that Toffoli should've been resigned, especially at 4.25 M. And Stetcher of course. 

• Like 1

No way I would want Marky at that cap hit and term. Love the guy and what he did for the team but he had to move on. Love Demko and I think he will be a solid #1 eventually. This team lost a lot of locker room leadership in Marky, Tanev and Stech all leaving at once. It will take some time for the team to find its rythmn and gel. Be patient. Not like we can do anything else. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The 'missing picture' here for the fire JB crowd; he's made mistakes that are haunting us now. For sure. Too much money, too much term on some guys who really didn't deserve it / unexpected fast rise of new talent.

There'll be nobody more aware of that than him. Every mistake is a learning lesson.

So you want to fire the guy who has already learned these lessons and mistakes to bring in a new guy to make new mistakes while "making his stamp on the team"?

Now, if after what he's learned, he goes out and tries to sign an Eriksson or Skinner-like deal to some other player because reasons, he should be pitched out the airlock immediately. But I think it would be counter productive to toss the guy at this point.

The players on the ice should be getting this done. The effort they showed last night, even in the losing cause tell me that they are CAPABLE of doing it, but simply "aren't" for some reason. If that's the coaches, then they need to go.

If it's the players pouting, well, they need to suck it up. Welcome to pro sports, where your best friend might get traded suddenly and without warning because a deal showed up. It's tough for the 'young guys' who have never experienced that sort of thing but it's the new reality and the price of making millions a year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

Also Benning did not anticipate flat cap, if covid did not exist, he would have signed Toffoli at least.

the question of Benning being a great GM and not a draft guru will be tested in coming year because it is the time for this GM to take the team to next the level.

if he does not panic and sort this out, draft well in the coming draft, add the right pieces and a couple smart moves, he will earn his praises.

if he does not act well then ppl have every right to criticize him, he should have learned his lessons.

I am a big fan of JB but it is his job to improve the team year after year,

and by the canucks timeline (that he`s been hereand the way he drafted, we should be a good playoff teamm,

will he makes it into next phase and act smart? he is being tested.

if it takes this shortened season so be it, but canucks should get better and better every season with new core we have.

there should be no place for panic moves right now,

btw defense is terrible and that`s the coach job.

Edited by BENN
  • Vintage 1

This is a strange season to begin with.  We are getting a ton of flaws exposed in it, which may not be the worst thing.  I think it's a matter of time before we see a big change in our coaching staff.  We have enough talent defensively that we should be far better than we have been.  I don't see Green doing enough to adjust to our situation.  I like him as a coach, but I do think a guy like Gallant suits us very well.

If we come out of the year with a new coach, high pick D(Power, Edvinsson, Clarke), Pods/Tram come over, and have a few bad deals expire, we will be fine.  Most teams take a step back at some point after the bulk of their rebuild is done, Canucks are no exception. We have a ton of quality pieces, a reset year to figure out our gaps is going to benefit us long term.  Next year we get back into a division with the 3 California teams and an expansion team, we will be fine.  

• Vintage 2

I'm sorry but you can't keep making excuses. There's 31 teams working under the same condition. They have plans they are succeeding. The desire to make excuses on this site is simply incredible. You must look at the team as a business, success has been fitful at best but mostly failure. You can't judge the team on future prospects ... the aim of playing hockey is to win games. That is the primary importance, don't confuse the measure of success. The yard stick is to win more games than you loose. There has been a colossal failure to manage the Salary Cap. The repercussions  are many and hurtful to the teams future. Frankly players like EP may end up being wasted with a poor surrounding cast. Out Planning has been miserable. How can we simply write this off. The list of failed FA signing is long and cuts to the very centre of the clubs failure, the drafting is 50-50 ( Virtanen, McCann and Juolevi ) we have for the most part been drafting in the top ten for years ( thanks to the failure on the ice.)

Here's the question  .... how long do you permit this to continue ??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This is a strange season to begin with.  We are getting a ton of flaws exposed in it, which may not be the worst thing.  I think it's a matter of time before we see a big change in our coaching staff.  We have enough talent defensively that we should be far better than we have been.  I don't see Green doing enough to adjust to our situation.  I like him as a coach, but I do think a guy like Gallant suits us very well.

If we come out of the year with a new coach, high pick D(Power, Edvinsson, Clarke), Pods/Tram come over, and have a few bad deals expire, we will be fine.  Most teams take a step back at some point after the bulk of their rebuild is done, Canucks are no exception. We have a ton of quality pieces, a reset year to figure out our gaps is going to benefit us long term.  Next year we get back into a division with the 3 California teams and an expansion team, we will be fine.  

Do they though?

The best defensive dmen are probably Edler, Benn and Hamonic.

The best defensive forwards are probably Beagle, Motte, Sutter, Horvat, Roussel.

I'm willing to bet 6 of those 8 are not on the team in the next season or 2. And the vast majority of the salary cap those 6 take up will go to players already on the team and they will still have to be replaced. It might actually get a bit worse before it gets better. :| 

3 hours ago, brownky said:

The 'missing picture' here for the fire JB crowd; he's made mistakes that are haunting us now. For sure. Too much money, too much term on some guys who really didn't deserve it / unexpected fast rise of new talent.

There'll be nobody more aware of that than him. Every mistake is a learning lesson.

So you want to fire the guy who has already learned these lessons and mistakes to bring in a new guy to make new mistakes while "making his stamp on the team"?

Now, if after what he's learned, he goes out and tries to sign an Eriksson or Skinner-like deal to some other player because reasons, he should be pitched out the airlock immediately. But I think it would be counter productive to toss the guy at this point.

The players on the ice should be getting this done. The effort they showed last night, even in the losing cause tell me that they are CAPABLE of doing it, but simply "aren't" for some reason. If that's the coaches, then they need to go.

If it's the players pouting, well, they need to suck it up. Welcome to pro sports, where your best friend might get traded suddenly and without warning because a deal showed up. It's tough for the 'young guys' who have never experienced that sort of thing but it's the new reality and the price of making millions a year.

The 'Jim is learning' narrative is going to age as well as Myer's contract, and all the bloat he handed out well after Loui. The average GM tenure is around 5 seasons. After 7 I think we've seen enough from him.

This isn't preschool. When you are GM of a billion dollar franchise operating in an environment with 31 other sharks who want your blood in the water, you have expectations and need to be held to account for falling short. 

I think what the 'he is learning' crowd is missing is this isn't a vacuum. While GMJB is taking babysteps other clubs are adding and improving their rosters and also receiving top picks and prospects and signing savvy contracts. We are falling behind and this mgmt group is responsible. We've already seen Toronto lap us with their compete and rebuild in 2013-14 to now and New York as early as 2017 to now. I wouldn't be surprised to see LA and Chi return to relevance before Jim figures it out.

I mean....we believed in Jake for so long thinking he'll pull it together next season. I feel some are approaching that level of hope with Benning. If it does happen fine, but its not going to happen here. A fresh start and vision is best for all.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grandmaster said:

While I agree Marky was excellent and our MVP. I just disagree here. 

Keeping him at that price for 6 more years just doesn't seem like a good contract for our young team. This isn't our window to win right now, so I don't understand why the conversation is making it sound like we are blowing our chance. 

We need the kids to grow and get better as well as shed the big contracts on older players. In a couple more years our team will be entering the window to be competitive and I'm not sure an expensive Marky (even though I love him) is still going to be playing at his peak then. 

28 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm sorry but you can't keep making excuses. There's 31 teams working under the same condition. They have plans they are succeeding. The desire to make excuses on this site is simply incredible. You must look at the team as a business, success has been fitful at best but mostly failure. You can't judge the team on future prospects ... the aim of playing hockey is to win games. That is the primary importance, don't confuse the measure of success. The yard stick is to win more games than you loose. There has been a colossal failure to manage the Salary Cap. The repercussions  are many and hurtful to the teams future. Frankly players like EP may end up being wasted with a poor surrounding cast. Out Planning has been miserable. How can we simply write this off. The list of failed FA signing is long and cuts to the very centre of the clubs failure, the drafting is 50-50 ( Virtanen, McCann and Juolevi ) we have for the most part been drafting in the top ten for years ( thanks to the failure on the ice.)

Here's the question  .... how long do you permit this to continue ??

I give benning the next coaching change and half of next season, don`t forget the mess he was given at start of his tenure and I think he has done well,

mistakes? hell ye, big ones like Eriksson contract, very big, every GM makes mistakes, overally I like what he has done.

by the end of next season we should have a very good playoff team,if not and this is not just a off year, then fire him.

but don`t hire a gillis type of GM, actually hire  "draft well and develop GM" who has a vision and a system,who makes a pool full of prospects.

Edited by BENN

22 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Do they though?

The best defensive dmen are probably Edler, Benn and Hamonic.

The best defensive forwards are probably Beagle, Motte, Sutter, Horvat, Roussel.

I'm willing to bet 6 of those 8 are not on the team in the next season or 2. And the vast majority of the salary cap those 6 take up will go to players already on the team and they will still have to be replaced. It might actually get a bit worse before it gets better. :| 

Umm, you only bolded half of that sentence.  

Should we be good defensively? probably not.   Should we be historically bad?  not a chance.  We are averaging 5 goals against per game outside playing Ottawa.   Green and his staff had made very little in the way of adjustments, whether it be personnel, or game plan wise.  We may have the worst team defensive structure I think I have ever seen.  Somethnig has to give and I feel a shake up of our staff is likely were it will start.

21 minutes ago, BENN said:

I give benning the next coaching change and half of next season, don`t forget the mess he was given at start of his tenure and I think he has done well,

mistakes? hell ye, big ones like Eriksson contract, very big, every GM makes mistakes, overally I like what he has done.

by the end of next season we should have a very good playoff team,if not and this is not just a off year, then fire him.

but don`t hire a gillis type of GM, actually hire  "draft well and develop GM" who has a vision and a system,who makes a pool full of prospects.

We do need some one who doesn't need two chances to answer the question what is 2 + 2 = ? His salary cap budget abilities are just too much to over come. Not only has he failed to build a  good on ice product but he's failed ( IMHO ) to build an management team too. Remember this guy has been here for almost 7 years .... say that slowly 7 years. What we have here is nothing to do with the past it's all on JB. I doubt if Gillis would return but he had the most successful team in the franchise history and was awarded GM of the year ... I can't see JB ever ever repeating the success of Gillis.. Two Presidents Cups, game 7 of the SC, GM of the year as well as Championship Conference and Division, That dreams gone. Gillis did want to rebuild and ownership didn't, that what Gillis was accused of. He  was arrogant for sure but judge him on success not any personal angst

• Like 1