The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 11, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN360, SNW, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

#monkeyincharge

I like it. He can leave Hughes out endlessly with Benn, never change the pp and treat Juolevi like crap. and he will only cost a banana.

Oh, thought I should clarify;  I'm not talking about TORTS but "A Monkey"  (Not that there's much of a differecnce)

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We got killed not playing guys like MacEwan and Juolevi.

How is shortening the bench working out for Green?

Green has enough options to win games we need to stop making excuses for him. There’s no way this team is a bottom 3 team. This is ridiculous.

It's possible.

We were barely middle of the pack team last year. I lost count how many game Marky stole for us.

Bubble Canucks were like an apparition. I couldn't believe how well we played. Still, we needed excellent goaltending right thorough to the end. Outshot badly most nights.

I'd love to see more Big Mack. I see some offensive upside there and we need his grit.

OJ... he needs to play but I don't see a game breaker there...not yet anyway.

We need our bottom six to have an impact if they want more than 10 minutes a night. The team needs upgrades throughout.

What's up with Motte?

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

So did I, but the gutting of the team core by Benning has proven to be a bit too much for the team to even squeak in this year.   Probably best so they can have a loooooooooooong rest this summer  until next year.   

I wouldn't say our core was gutted, it's pretty much still intact. Lost a goalie who was never in the long term plan and Tanev who we underestimated how important he was to our D 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Its the morale victory stage... this early in the season... ugh :( 

Agreed, as much as it sucks it seems like that's the outcome lately.  Definitely outworking them but just can't beat the goalie (Price, Andersen, Markstrom are all legit #1's though).  Wonder if there's anything else that can be done though besides have the kids lead the charge and play through it?  The first two goals against were bad bounces and credit to Gaudreau for the 3rd. 

Been years since I sat down to watch a game and pretty much expected the loss. Lots to look forward to for next year though. As long as we have this PP and D coach I expect nothing from the team this year and expect both Brown and Baumer gone for next season. At the very least. 

Just now, Darius said:

yup, imho the state of the D, will be his down fall.  Just being objective here, because I like JB, and I was genuinely rooting for him to succeed...but to think that this team is still highly dependant on a guy drafted by nonis 17 years ago is a little depressing.  If Edler goes down with injury imagine what we will have back there.

I always wondered if JB ever actually signed a D that was actually good on D? I mean Benn, Del zotto, Gudbranson etc. etc. Schmidt might be his best but even he can not replace Tanev on D. A player that was acquired by Gillis.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

So Aqua wont fire a GM that has cost him millions because he has two more years on his contract? How does that make any sense?

Spending millions more on another GM if one you even want is available?

How does that make sense?

15 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

4th in the North is currently on pace for 65pts. The Canucks would have to go something like 30-21-5 to get to 65pts which means they can really only afford 10 more regulation losses. Life comes at you fast in a 56 game season.

Yes, especially when they're proving to have trouble with anyone not named Ottawa. 

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed. The list of defenseman Benning has brought hasn't been good....

Sbisa as a key piece in the Kesler trade, trading Forsling (still in the league) for Clendening, paying a premium for Gudbranson to play 2nd pair with Hutton, drafting Juolevi over other D options, signing Del Zaster, trading for Pouliot, Benn signing hasn't worked out, Myers was given an anchor contract, exc. 

Hughes was the one that's worked out, and I'd put Schmidt in the 'good' column too - I still believe in him, otherwise its been pretty much all bad for JB. 

Geez that's a brutal track record on defensive acquisitions.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I've been a fan since the team came into the lead.  This team isn't the worst product we have iced  but it is quite possibly the softest.  The absence of physical play or standing up for eachother is hard to watch.  Some team sin the past were bad and they lost a lot but they stood  by eachother,  fought back and earned respect and fan loyalty.  This team is hard to cheer watch and cheer for.

Yeah. They need to show some guts. Some fearlessness. Not a complete absence of pushback. That’s horrible. 

Just now, b3. said:

I decided not to watch tonight’s game. It’s been to frustrating watching this team this year.

Its the first time I’ve purposely not watched a game in 15+ years...

damn that bad eh lol, well we should of won this game, outplayed them and outshot them and two soft PPs for them and 2 deflection goals, one of a hand and skate, 3rd one johnny gets a breakaway somehow, cant remember exactly how it happened...still this sucks big time.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

If you're talking points/playoffs, I think the odds of the Canucks getting in are no better than 10% right now. 

Pressure in that sense is quickly becoming a moot point. 

The season will be all but over if we  lose  two out the three games with Calgary this week.  it will be hopeless after that.

I do feel bad for Green. The roster that he has had to deal with is not great. Two lines, the third and forth are garbage. His assistants should go and the gm who constructed the team should go before him. He’s trying his best with what he’s got. Benning is going to use him as the scapegoat to keep his job until the end of the year. Baumer and Newell should have never been renewed in the middle of the season. Another bonehead move by Benning. I feel like he will be here another ten years. Retooling and signing more dumb contracts without really rebuilding. It’s his fault folks. All that money sitting in the pressbox.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I always wondered if JB ever actually signed a D that was actually good on D? I mean Benn, Del zotto, Gudbranson etc. etc. Schmidt might be his best but even he can not replace Tanev on D. A player that was acquired by Gillis.

All d except schmidt were reclaimation projects. What a waste, should have signed Vatanen instead of Hamomic