The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 11, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN360, SNW, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, -Moose said:

We get 6 days off right before the start of April. Would much rather have had that time early in the season 

Yes but if they can be close to .500 at the point they get that break they are still in the running and the break would serve them well for the final push.

12 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I think this is the first time all season the Canucks have had 2 days off before a game? Doesn't happen again until Mar 1 when they'll have 3 days off before that game 

Hopefully we've already hired Baumer's replacement so he can't do any more damage to our defense then.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Benn should have held a party right after training camp.

:bigblush:

I kid.

I dont wish this to happen at all, but the Canucks getting locked down for a week would be the best thing for them right now 

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes but if they can be close to .500 at the point they get that break they are still in the running and the break would serve them well for the final push.

Agreed. You're getting a long rest when teams are just starting to ramp up their intensity for a playoff push. I think it's at a good time; if it was any later I'd be worried 

How come MTL and TOR look like they had a training camp? Tired of that excuse for losing. And tired on the road trip? Even the players have said that it's much easier this season because they don't have to constantly fly and change hotels. The team is bad defensively, and looks like Hamonic pulled a Ferland (great signings Benning). They need help on D, give their goalies a chance, keep the puck out of their own end. 

I actually really hope that Benning makes a trade for D help, as I'm not sure a new coach coming in would wrangle this team in time to get going.  A new GM right now might not help either, possibly being overly careful with transactions at first. If it's about this season and trying to right the ship before it; too late, I hope Benning can pull off a good trade. 

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night. The boys will be well rested and ready to take on a battle tested Phlegms team. We need to turn it around fast or else this could get really ugly. I still have belief that we have what it takes to battle for a playoff spot. Let’s go boys! GCG!

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Converted forward.  Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole given the amount of time it's going to take to teach him how to play defense, if it's even possible.  Definitely wouldn't trust him on a pairing with Hughes.

A lot of reports last year compared to this year I am seeing them state that his defensive game has greatly improved from last year. He's learn to use his skating as an advantage with his transitional D and gap control. As a result he's become a great transitional player in both sides of the game. He hasn't been afraid to engage physically either in his own end. He was on the PK in Barrie too last year.

Overall it appears that there is a great desire to be a good two-way player.

All from this year.

Bob McKenzie - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Clarke’s hockey sense is said to be elite and he’s highly effective at both ends of the ice."

Ryan Quigley - Broad Street Hockey - Oct. 8th: "The right-shot Ottawa native is a mobile defender with outstanding puck skills. He sees the ice exceptionally well for a player his age, and thanks to his smooth skating and hockey IQ, he’s as dangerous away from the puck as he is with it on his stick."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Jan. 21st: "Rather than stay at home and remain active via his own schedule, Clarke (and older brother Graham) packed their bags for Slovakia, where they currently play for Nove Zamky in the adult-age Tipos Extraliga. The transition has been far from seamless — new language, new rink, new coaches, new systems, new teammates, new everything — but to Clarke’s credit he’s shown enough flashes with the puck and poise under physical pressure to validate his decision to play overseas."

Samuel Tirpak - Dobber Prospects - Feb. 3rd: "His offensive skills are showing even in the pro league against bigger and more physical opponents. He recognizes extremely well when to jump into the rush and when to stay put and is great transitionally."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "The OHL first team rookie blends quality skating and offensive instincts with an elite brain for the game. Has already adjusted well to the professional ranks in Slovakia and would be tearing the OHL apart if it were playing."

Fun fact: Both he and his brother know also know how to do the Michigan.

10 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Why, they just had several months off, much better in the middle of the season.

This team clearly needs a lot of practice and doing it in games obviously isn't working

Edit: It's also not in the middle of the season, it's right near the end. After looking at the schedule more, I actually don't mind the timing of the break. We've got about 5-6 weeks of games afterwards; if it was any later, I'd be concerned 

Edited by -Moose

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How come MTL and TOR look like they had a training camp? Tired of that excuse for losing. And tired on the road trip? Even the players have said that it's much easier this season because they don't have to constantly fly and change hotels. The team is bad defensively, and looks like Hamonic pulled a Ferland (great signings Benning). They need help on D, give their goalies a chance, keep the puck out of their own end. 

I actually really hope that Benning makes a trade for D help, as I'm not sure a new coach coming in would wrangle this team in time to get going.  A new GM right now might not help either, possibly being overly careful with transactions at first. If it's about this season and trying to right the ship before it; too late, I hope Benning can pull off a good trade. 

Green needs to stop making excuses

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Green already planting his excuses 

always something other than his lack of coaching ability 

playing the “brutal schedule card”

So Green you are admitting you either didn’t look at the schedule at the start of the season or you didn’t prepare your team/roster for it  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You could ice the mid-90's Detroit defense and they'd still look bad until Baumer is replaced with someone qualified for the job.  Even if you don't replace Baumgartner, simply getting that idiot away from our team would at least prevent him from doing further damage.  There is literally zero point in acquiring any defensive help while the idiot causing the problem with his joke of a "system" is still wasting Aquilini's money.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, -Moose said:

How have the Canucks not called a players only meeting yet? Where is the leadership on our team? Flames did it last season and this season

That requires the team and players to look in the mirror and that is something their coach refuses to do so why should they?

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Green already planting his excuses 

always something other than his lack of coaching ability 

playing the “brutal schedule card”

So Green you are admitting you either didn’t look at the schedule at the start of the season or you didn’t prepare your team/roster for it  

Didnt he also say they 'owned the losses' despite the schedule?

That first Leaf game, the team did look gassed, which was the fourth game in six nights.

31 minutes ago, -Moose said:

How have the Canucks not called a players only meeting yet? Where is the leadership on our team? Flames did it last season and this season

Flames did it because there was a problem with a certain gutless piece of trash embarrassing the franchise and putting targets on his teammates' backs due to his refusal to cut out the garbage and play like a man.  As bad as we've been playing, at least we don't have anyone with the character issues of Tkachuk to worry about.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Flames did it because there was a problem with a certain gutless piece of trash embarrassing the franchise and putting targets on his teammates' backs due to his refusal to cut out the garbage and play like a man.  As bad as we've been playing, at least we don't have anyone with the character issues of Tkachuk to worry about.

Saw his antics on the highlight package again yesterday. He’s the ultimate rat loser. OJ for the win 

• Cheers 2