The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 11, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN360, SNW, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pandemic is the key.

When revenue is down they’re not gonna wanna spend millions more on a manager.

Benning is still producing in the draft too, which is ultimately where this team needs to build from.

If he can clean up his mess with contracts and beef up the D there’s a chance he sticks around. He’s got a lot of work to do next offseason though.

Yeah, given the circumstances I don’t see what ownership gains from firing management mid season.  

Very difficult environment to make trades to turn things around and there’s no gate revenue anyways. If you’re really worried about money firing the GM in the offseason creates the same buzz.  1040 going away also creates a huge distraction too.

As much as people want to see blood I can see ownership holding steady. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Cool. Brandt Clarke (OHL) would look pretty good beside Hughes, I'm thinking.

Converted forward.  Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole given the amount of time it's going to take to teach him how to play defense, if it's even possible.  Definitely wouldn't trust him on a pairing with Hughes.

59 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah it's too bad, last year he offered such an offensive spark from the bottom 6.

Could use that right about now

For sure him Gaudette and Rooster or Sutter looked like a line good for decent numbers. With Motte playing so good too our bottom six looked set for a couple years at least 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Rumour was that the GMs wanted to see prospect play a little before drafting anyone and the likely date is somewhere in December. 

If no season till 2022 than yeah, they probably just gonna do it in September. 

its so long lol that sucks, but i guess it makes sense

1 minute ago, -Moose said:

I think this is the first time all season the Canucks have had 2 days off before a game? Doesn't happen again until Mar 1 when they'll have 3 days off before that game 

I can barely handle two days off, not sure how I'll deal with three. 

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Green's contract is up at the end of the season, but I'm not sure he makes it the rest of the season, otherwise Benning will just be shooting himself in the foot if they finish near last again. Who would coach though? Not going to be good if Newel Brown takes over as bench boss. I doubt Benning even has anyone other than Green in mind.  They're kind of in this together, maybe Benning pulls off a trade (I hope it wouldn't include our 1st in 2021, the Draft may be all we have to look forward to this year). If the D can be upgraded and get their s*** together, the season could be saved. 

Saving this season to bring in another D we will have to protect doesn't make much sense.   To me he should just let the chips falls where they are.   Demko's had 2-3 good games,  Holtby has yet to win a game mostly on his own, but he did enough for the team to sink or swim (JB)...  Tanev/vs Schmidt was debated heavily, most consider it a modest upgrade before the season started - new partners and a brutal starting schedule makes it way too hard to judge that yet.   Better off just let the team play it out - missing the playoffs and getting another blue chip player vs making another trade like TT that costs us makes very little sense all considered. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

They are basically done this year already . They need to go like 22-14 which is unlikely .

They have 40 games left not 36 so 22 - 18.  24 of those games are against Wpg Cal and Edm.  We are fighting those teams for two playoff spots.

So it ain't over yet.  They are in a tough spot though, but you can't call it yet.  Maybe if we get swept by Calgary the next 4 lol.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I think this is the first time all season the Canucks have had 2 days off before a game? Doesn't happen again until Mar 1 when they'll have 3 days off before that game 

And a lot of the teams we've played had days off and practice time before we played them too...

Just now, fanfor42 said:

They have 40 games left not 36 so 22 - 18.  24 of those games are against Wpg Cal and Edm.  We are fighting those teams for two playoff spots.

So it ain't over yet.  They are in a tough spot though, but you can't call it yet.  Maybe if we get swept by Calgary the next 4 lol.

If we lose 3/4 it's pretty much game over.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

And a lot of the teams we've played had days off and practice time before we played them too...

We get 6 days off right before the start of April. Would much rather have had that time early in the season 

• Vintage 3