The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 15, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 hours ago, XxS3E3DI2N2SxX said:

All the people that are hoping for any kind of physical play on Tkachuk are going to be very disappointed. The Canucks love giving free passes to physical play against them 

Two games left in this series, hate to say this given how well we've been playing the last three games but how they acted at the end of last game is exactly what Kevin Bieksa was talking about - being a sore loser like that is something this teams could use more of.  

On the post - Myers gloved punched MT hard to the ice early this season, with his butt end in his hand, was the highlight of the game for me at least.   Watching him check for blood and chicklets missing wasn't an act.   This game could be a rough affair, stuff like this also can galvanize a team if it happens.   Game four might end up the best of the bunch.   Expect this one to be much closer on the shot clock and as far as team play goes, even if we play to the same level we've been playing - CAL is for sure going to take us seriously.   If we ever needed a goalie to win one for us, these next two games are it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Let's go boys!!!

What weight is Joulevi playing at? Roster says 182 but that was his draft weight, no? Big question as to roster when Hamonic draws back in. I want a Canuck rookie d-man in the line up each game no matter what. 

Hoglander: Wow! How many posts in the last 5 games? 3? He is due. There are a number of players in this lineup that can win a game any given night. IMHO Hoglander is one of those. His puck retrieval and possession is outstanding. Tremendous puck handling and shot. Sad to see his interview where he occupies himself with calling back home to Sweden to entertain himself. The young players need the off ice support of team mates more than anyone else. 

198-200lbs.   He's still a bean pole, like EP has skinny shoulders, an inch or so taller.   That said it's no longer an issue for him like when he was drafted, adding close to 20lbs of lean muscle is a big deal for guys like this,  EP was around 160 when he was drafted...Can tell the difference when Edler is next to him build wise (OJ)... so not really expecting the same type of hits that Edler can lay out.     As far as rookie d-men go, OJ for sure has made some separation over Chatfield which is promising.   Rather see Schmidt on the left side then watch Hamonic take OJs spot ... Myer, Schmidt, Hamonic on the R side, QH, Edler, OJ on the left.   Benn vs Hamonic? 

Hoglander  won't have to worry much about support once Covid is over.   He's for sure a massive bright light for this team this year .... leading the team in corsi for forwards i believe i heard the announcers say (didn't check)...that's no small thing.   For sure some of those posts will turn into goals for him, EP too.   

Seems like the Swedish connection is running strong for another generation...(EP/Hoglander)

No team has ever relied on Sweden talent the way the Canucks have ... going all the way back to the late 70's when free agents from Sweden weren't really a thing yet.   Lindgren...then in 1980 one of the best trades ever - a second rounder for Gradin, one of the best Canuck forwards ever...kind of petered out in the 90's until we drafted Ohlund and traded for Naslund.   Since then our cores have kept this tradition up.   Sure Forsberg, Sundin and Lidstrom are three players most would say a level up from anything we've ever had from Sweden, but the teams they played on relied on other countries like Russia (Detroit - Russian five) more or spread it out more (Hedjuk)... Vancouver seems to have the pulse of Swedish hockey players like no other.  

Oh as an aside, if i had to compare Hoglander to a player we had in the peak Linden teams - its Martin Gelinas all the way....he led our team one year in scoring when Bure and Mogilny were out...  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Two games left in this series, hate to say this given how well we've been playing the last three games but how they acted at the end of last game is exactly what Kevin Bieksa was talking about - being a sore loser like that is something this teams could use more of.  

On the post - Myers gloved punched MT hard to the ice early this season, with his butt end in his hand, was the highlight of the game for me at least.   Watching him check for blood and chicklets missing wasn't an act.   This game could be a rough affair, stuff like this also can galvanize a team if it happens.   Game four might end up the best of the bunch.   Expect this one to be much closer on the shot clock and as far as team play goes, even if we play to the same level we've been playing - CAL is for sure going to take us seriously.   If we ever needed a goalie to win one for us, these next two games are it. 

I agree

4-3 Vancouver

May be a pivotal game on the team we may get the rest of the year

Hopefully the work boot one

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

198-200lbs.   He's still a bean pole, like EP has skinny shoulders, an inch or so taller.   That said it's no longer an issue for him like when he was drafted, adding close to 20lbs of lean muscle is a big deal for guys like this,  EP was around 160 when he was drafted...Can tell the difference when Edler is next to him build wise (OJ)... so not really expecting the same type of hits that Edler can lay out.     As far as rookie d-men go, OJ for sure has made some separation over Chatfield which is promising.   Rather see Schmidt on the left side then watch Hamonic take OJs spot ... Myer, Schmidt, Hamonic on the R side, QH, Edler, OJ on the left.   Benn vs Hamonic? 

Hoglander  won't have to worry much about support once Covid is over.   He's for sure a massive bright light for this team this year .... leading the team in corsi for forwards i believe i heard the announcers say (didn't check)...that's no small thing.   For sure some of those posts will turn into goals for him, EP too.   

Seems like the Swedish connection is running strong for another generation...(EP/Hoglander)

No team has ever relied on Sweden talent the way the Canucks have ... going all the way back to the late 70's when free agents from Sweden weren't really a thing yet.   Lindgren...then in 1980 one of the best trades ever - a second rounder for Gradin, one of the best Canuck forwards ever...kind of petered out in the 90's until we drafted Ohlund and traded for Naslund.   Since then our cores have kept this tradition up.   Sure Forsberg, Sundin and Lidstrom are three players most would say a level up from anything we've ever had from Sweden, but the teams they played on relied on other countries like Russia (Detroit - Russian five) more or spread it out more (Hedjuk)... Vancouver seems to have the pulse of Swedish hockey players like no other.  

Oh as an aside, if i had to compare Hoglander to a player we had in the peak Linden teams - its Martin Gelinas all the way....he led our team one year in scoring when Bure and Mogilny were out...  

Your hot today! The Gelinas comparison is so bang on. It was a sad day when the org lost him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Last game the Canucks played as a 5 man defensive unit and were airtight. Any time they moved up the ice they were in a pentagon formation and the gaps were closed. If they play the same the results will be there. They still need to break Marky but they are on the right road.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Last game the Canucks played as a 5 man defensive unit and were airtight. Any time they moved up the ice they were in a pentagon formation and the gaps were closed. If they play the same the results will be there. They still need to break Marky but they are on the right road.

That to me was the biggest factor in the game. Keep it going !

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your hot today! The Gelinas comparison is so bang on. It was a sad day when the org lost him. 

What a great player to have on your team...Ronning and Walker were two other guys i wish we signed/kept.   Imagine if we dangled Zezel instead of Walker during the expansion draft.. - one of the WCE era weaker points was lack of secondary scoring ... both these guys went on and killed it for Nashville early on.    I know this rebuild has been tough ... that one was gut wrenching given how many of those guys were so young still and in their primes.   Would be like dismantling the Sedin team in 2010.   Ronning, Bure, Mogilny, Gelinas, Walker, Linden, McLean out... Messier, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo, McCabe in ... at the time it looked terrible.   Linden trade saved us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

the greatest waiver wire pickup in Canucks history.  He tainted my perception of waiver pickups for years, every time we picked someone off of waivers I was hoping he would be another Gelinas.

The guy was like John Tonelli, would never lose a board battle.  Made it to the finals with like 3 or 4 different teams.

Good comparison by Batch...you can see the high compete levels and how he can come up with pucks from the boards.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

FTFY

It wasnt reckless, it was calculated and gutless

it was. The only surprising part is Tkatpuke didn't get his skate blade involved in the play. I'm thrilled we don't have this p.o.s. on our team. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Juolevi had another good game, so I suspect Green will bench him again lol  well, I sure hope not. I also hope Edler can step up this game and not let Tkachuk use his head as a speed bag. Going to need great goaltending, and Pettersson needs to step up. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1