The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value of Dougie Hamilton (Discussion/Proposal)

Dougie Hamilton 27 years old

RHD

6'6"       229 lbs

+/- Solid and in the positive

My suggestion is we sign him as a UFA this summer, if we can move one of Myers or Schmidt

More so Schmidt, who will bring in a kings ransom or slightly less

Cost? Hmmm? 7.5 Million Covid contract

Do we do it if we can clear cap? I would much rather have him that OEL that Benning was going after last summer

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Apparently he's not really a 'team player '.  Doesn't gel with anyone and makes teammates uncomfortable.   He's talented,  yes, but would he fit the culture JB's been building?

Is there any evidence out there to support that or is it just speculation?

• Thanks 1

He's a top 20 Dman at least. He's finished 14th or less in Norris voting the last 4 years.

He'd be a good fit for Hughes.

Unless you get Seattle to take one of Schmidt/Myers we won't have the cap. I don't think many teams will want to trade for Myers/Schmidt(especially) till they prove their worth.

I would be trading our UFAs this year for assets then use those assets to try to move Eriksson and for Seattle to take Myers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

RHD

6'6"       229 lbs

My suggestion is we sign him as a UFA this summer, if we can move one of Myers or Schmidt

Do we do it if we can clear cap? I would much rather have him that OEL that Benning was going after last summer

IMO this is exactly what we should not be doing. FA needs to chain JB to a tree for the opening of free agency. 

OEL was an opportunity to swap bad contracts. Moot point anyway.

If you're paying DH 7.5 how much are you paying the NHL points leading D? 

I would like to see Edler back to retire a Canuck. 

We acquired Schmidt for a 3rd. I'm not sure of this ransom you speak of.

Pass. 

Classic case of propped up by Norris quality partners.

Chara, Giordano, Slavvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hamilton.

I put him in a class with a handful of other shiny assets / flavours of the week that I'm glad never wound up here...(Subban, Barrie, Karlson)

Not the partner I'd want for Hughes.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

IMO this is exactly what we should not be doing. FA needs to chain JB to a tree for the opening of free agency. 

OEL was an opportunity to swap bad contracts. Moot point anyway.

If you're paying DH 7.5 how much are you paying the NHL points leading D? 

I would like to see Edler back to retire a Canuck. 

We acquired Schmidt for a 3rd. I'm not sure of this ransom you speak of.

I compare Hughes Offensive game to Hamilton's more rounded game.

Yes Hughes scores more points, but also gives up more

Hamilton has alot to offer, and is alot better than Schmidt

I am not married to the idea, but wanted to get perspective on it

Hamilton would make us bigger and better.......also keep in mind when Comparing Hughes and Hamilton

is that Hughes is still cost controlled because he is a RFA, where as Hamilton is not

We need to get bigger, everywhere and although ELC are king of the Cap era

Highly skilled Dmen are too!

For the small upgrade in cost, we get a better player and we get that asset we acquire when we trade Schmidt

I am not sure Benning has the skill to make this move, but it would really help us, IMO

• Cheers 1

I think Hamilton is a good fit with Hurricaines, We know his personality never fit with Calgary..

I think we have 22.8  million to spend and some big signings so will not be easy to sign a 7 million Dollar UFA..

1. Hughes --2 x 6.7 million

2. Petey --- 2 X 6.7 million

3. Person---2 X 3 million ?

4.Demko ---2 X 2.5 million ? See how his season turns out -- Early

5 Tryamkin -- 2 X 1.5 million ? Would be nice to have his toughness # 4 OR 5 guy..

6. Edler  --- 1 X 2.8 million ?

7. Juolevi -- 2 X  1 million 

8. Hamonic  ? UFA only played 2 games been hurt .. Could sign him again and not sign Edler?---- We have not seen the real Hamonic, added late and needs time to adjust to new team..

WE don't have  lot of money over the budget right now? 

1. Miller - Petey -  Boser

2. Hoglnder -- Horvat ---   Podkolzin ( Pearson UFA ) 

Podkolzin will sign in April, Rathbone will be plying regular in 2021-22

Edited by wildcam

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I compare Hughes Offensive game to Hamilton's more rounded game.

Yes Hughes scores more points, but also gives up more

Hamilton has alot to offer, and is alot better than Schmidt

I am not married to the idea, but wanted to get perspective on it

Hamilton would make us bigger and better.......also keep in mind when Comparing Hughes and Hamilton

is that Hughes is still cost controlled because he is a RFA, where as Hamilton is not

We need to get bigger, everywhere and although ELC are king of the Cap era

Highly skilled Dmen are too!

For the small upgrade in cost, we get a better player and we get that asset we acquire when we trade Schmidt

I am not sure Benning has the skill to make this move, but it would really help us, IMO

Our track record with FA signings especially big money ones ain't pretty. I feel like the team is on a good course. Trying to turn the clock forward with FA signings could easily be turning the clock back. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Our track record with FA signings especially big money ones ain't pretty. I feel like the team is on a good course. Trying to turn the clock forward with FA signings could easily be turning the clock back. 

Thanks Hammer.......I get your position

I am looking at this being a trade of Hamilton and asset for Schmidt

Its a upgrade and a asset acquisition

Hamilton has a track record of alot of pretty good seasons.........I don't think he will slip

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Is there any evidence out there to support that or is it just speculation?

It's why I said 'apparently '.  But there's numerous articles on this guy - from both his Bos & Cgy days - and they all 'allude' to the same thing - he's not interested in 'fitting in' and personally I don't have a problem with that, but this is a team sport and I can understand how that may label you as a teammate in a negative way. Even his coach Rod the Bod admitted he's a very different character. Take it for what you will.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2019/5/12/18616343/bruins-hurricanes-dougie-hamilton-booed-by-bruins-fans-dougie-hamilton-bruins-reputation-game-2

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It's why I said 'apparently '.  But there's numerous articles on this guy - from both his Bos & Cgy days - and they all 'allude' to the same thing - he's not interested in 'fitting in' and personally I don't have a problem with that, but this is a team sport and I can understand how that may label you as a teammate in a negative way. Even his coach Rod the Bod admitted he's a very different character. Take it for what you will.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2019/5/12/18616343/bruins-hurricanes-dougie-hamilton-booed-by-bruins-fans-dougie-hamilton-bruins-reputation-game-2

I wonder if there are any during his time with the Canes. He was 24 or younger during his time with CGY/BOS. 

Sounds like Hamilton might of grown up.

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Hammer.......I get your position

I am looking at this being a trade of Hamilton and asset for Schmidt

Its a upgrade and a asset acquisition

Hamilton has a track record of alot of pretty good seasons.........I don't think he will slip

Just my opinion. I myself once advocated for getting him before he became a cane. I just don't want to see a FA signing made when the team wasn't ready handcuffing them when they are. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Pass. 

Classic case of propped up by Norris quality partners.

Chara, Giordano, Slavvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hamilton.

I put him in a class with a handful of other shiny assets / flavours of the week that I'm glad never wound up here...(Subban, Barrie, Karlson)

Not the partner I'd want for Hughes.

Agreed about this, haven't seen games but have to wonder how much of an impact having a partner in Slavin, who's a better version of Tanev, has had in cleaning up his mistakes (not that Dougie hasn't improved at all on defense but he and Hughes together is probably too offensively oriented, and there's no one on the current squad that can play shutdown D at the same level). 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

RHD

6'6"       229 lbs

I suggested this idea this past summer.     

I wouldn't give up on Schmidt however.     Give him some time to acclimate to our system.      

If Myers can be claimed in the expansion draft, then I'd absolutely take a run at Hamilton, cap space permitting.    Having said that, we might be better off with a more 'defensive defensemen'.   Adam Larsson for instance would be a much cheap alternative than Hamilton.    

If the Canucks are destined to be a lottery team this year, then what about moving our 1st for Erik Cernak?    

Hamilton would be nice but I'm just not sure if we'd be able to accommodate him cap wise.    He's also not the best guy in the dressing room from what I understand.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I suggested this idea this past summer.     

I wouldn't give up on Schmidt however.     Give him some time to acclimate to our system.      

If Myers can be claimed in the expansion draft, then I'd absolutely take a run at Hamilton, cap space permitting.    Having said that, we might be better off with a more 'defensive defensemen'.   Adam Larsson for instance would be a much cheap alternative than Hamilton.    

If the Canucks are destined to be a lottery team this year, then what about moving our 1st for Erik Cernak?    

Hamilton would be nice but I'm just not sure if we'd be able to accommodate him cap wise.    He's also not the best guy in the dressing room from what I understand.

I love your positive attitude DI.....I hope I am wrong.......long season otherwise

As I am sure you are aware.......I am on the Tryamkin wagon, so there is our Defensive Dman

I also do not think for a second that Tampa will move Cernak, he is kind of like a upgraded version of Mayfield on the Island

But maybe Larson if all else fails.........I like Josh Manson too

Bottom line, I would just love to finish up the RHD side

Hamilton, Larson, Tryamkin

or

Hamilton, Schmidt, Tryamkin

or

Hamilton, Tryamkin, Myers

This would all be decent RHD side, which would allow Woo to really develop or force us to call him up, which is ideally what you want to happen

I am also watching for another RHD with our first, if in our area

With Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone, we have to wait and see what we have there, especially with Truscott and Jurmo, behind them........HM...Utunen?????

It would be a perfect scenario, IMO

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

The Cane we want is Brett Pesce. He would complement QH perfectly.

Canes will want to resign Hamilton but will also struggle to protect their Dmen in the Seattle expansion if they resign him.

One solution is CAR resigns Hamilton and then carries out a two part trade with VAN.

Part 1 before the Seattle expansion...

To VAN: Pesce

To CAR: Virtanen + 2022 2nd + 2022 3rd

CAR protects 7F: Aho, Staal (nmc), Teravainen, Trocheck, Svechnikov, Foegle, Virtanen, 3D: Hamilton, Slavin, Skjei, 1G: Mrazek

VAN protects 7F: Petey, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen, 3D: Pesce, Juolevi, Schmidt, 1G: Demko

Part 2 after Seattle expansion...

To VAN: Nieddereiter + 2022 2nd

To CAR: Schmidt

Essentially it is Schmidt + Virtanen + 3rd for Pesce + Niedderreiter

CAR do this to keep a strong top 4 group of Dmen

VAN takes on $800k more cap in the deal

CAR moves Svechnikov to their 2LW and Virtanen joins as 3RW, their defense next season becomes:

Hamilton Slavin

Skjei Schmidt

Gardiner Fleury

VAN next season:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podz

Nieddereiter Gaudette MacEwen

Roussel Beagle Motte

(Hawryluk/Lind/Jasek)

Hughes Pesce

Edler Myers

Juolevi Tryamkin