The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The NHL, in general, is really behind the times, and not following the science, when it comes to using player rotation in sport to better manage rest and preparation, workload, injury risk, and potential for burnout.

This year’s compressed schedule would have been a great opportunity try some innovative techniques.

A full roster rotation, splitting the practises  and skates into game prep/warmups, for the active roster, and more traditional practices (skills and systems development), for the taxi squad and spares, might have allowed the Canucks to manage any fatigue, while also improving habits and working through any performance issues.

Personally, I’d have gone into this season with a larger coaching staff, split into two separate units. Have the main unit handle the games, and have a full second unit working with the guys who aren’t playing. Have pretty much every player getting healthy scratches, scheduled ahead, and written into a rotation, so that they’re getting chances for time off, or time to work on their individual performance, and also just so they get a break from the physical and mental load of having to play so many games in such a short period. (And especially with the team struggling, and with so many individual players struggling to find their games this season.)

Just setting a policy of worst forward and d-man in training camp get sat out for game 1, then the worst 2 from the game 1 get sat in favour of the previous sitters, and so on....

Every game gets a  "fresh" forward and D man.

Want to play all the games, never be the worst in a game.?

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Player movement and a different deployment of players. The problem is, the coaches have no imagination, and/or are clinging to what they believe is their best option to save their asses, which clearly isn't working. 

Possibly, but the coaches also don't put skates on. I saw they made a change with Brock/Miller which I thought helped on the 1st PP.

Unless the coaches are telling them to pass it around till they have an open net, its not entirely their fault. 

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I was wrong.

Jake lasted 19 shifts of Bo's line

but still couldn't finish the game there

Ol Greener, 'I'm gonna shake up the lines because, I'm gonna shake up the line, and if that doesn't work I'ma go right back to the old lines, cuz I shook up the lines"

This has been his "go to" for some time now and he STILL HASN'T REALIZED THAT IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!! :lol:

• RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i know others liked Jakes game, i thought he was ok, but not great, i think he hurt Horvats line, especially Horvat, Jake needs to pass once in a while too. 

I can't believe with all of the things that are going wrong with this team people are still trying to blame Jake. Mind boggling. :picard:

• RoughGame 1

29 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I believe this is worth reposting. 

I am glad others are realizing our Coaches just aren't that good. I stated before that he was basically Willy D 2.0 and its becoming more and more obvious every day. Sitting OJ? Playing LE in the top 6 last year? Refusing to put Hughes on the #1 PP initially? Benching some players when they make a mistake yet ignoring others when they do the same thing?

I can totally see why there is so much dissension on that bench right now. 

I’ve supported Green in the past. Never thought and still don’t think he’s as bad as others suggest. I Don’t think he’s the greatest either and facts are coaches expire. He has done some good things with the young players but that trend seems to have exploded in the wrong way. 

The Oj scratch was absolute garbage. Putting Hamonic in made sense but not for Joulevi. Scratch Benn then you’re only messing with 1 pair instead of 2. And Myers and OJ have been great together. Love that pairing. 

Rousell’s free ride is embarrassing, the guy is helping us lose, not win. I liked him in year one but it’s clear he’s no more then an extra forward you slot in if you need a boost or energy or there’s an injury. 

Yeah we need a better approach. Play to win but don’t scrape the barrel cause the playoffs aren’t happening without some magic St.Louis type run.The team wasn’t really ready yet to compete for a cup. Compete for a  playoff spot sure i think we should be good enough on paper for that. A winning attitude is still very important. But at the end of the day players like OJ are going to be needed to have success in the future. So he should be played. If he looked outta place sure, I get it. But he’s not helping us lose. He’s a bright spot, why eff with that ?

• RoughGame 2

15 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Possibly, but the coaches also don't put skates on. I saw they made a change with Brock/Miller which I thought helped on the 1st PP.

Unless the coaches are telling them to pass it around till they have an open net, its not entirely their fault. 

Gee where have we heard that before. You would think after all of these years we would change it up every once in awhile. 

How about planting someone's big butt in front of the net and screen the goalie for a change. How about setting about Brock more for a shot because "News Flash" he can shoot and can score too!!!! So tired of the "Sedin set up" it is truly getting old and boring to watch.  

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Violator said:

Didn't get to watch the game seems like the Oilers figured us out by the score.

They have a few days off so it seems like it would be a good time for practice and meetings.

That's what I think as well. The Canucks really haven't had many days off since the season started, every second night they seem to be playing, more games than any other team. The next few days off might just be what they need, calm down, get some practices in, some rest. And I have a feeling they will come back next week a better, more cohesive team. Unfortunately, in Canucks fashion, they'll start winning games when it's too late for playoff talk.

My guess - VAN will end the season winning more than they lose, but no playoffs, and a mid-round 1st round pick (#15). Green re-signed. :picard: 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’ve supported Green in the past. Never thought and still don’t think he’s as bad as others suggest. I Don’t think he’s the greatest either and facts are coaches expire. He has done some good things with the young players but that trend seems to have exploded in the wrong way. 

The Oj scratch was absolute garbage. Putting Hamonic in made sense but not for Joulevi. Scratch Benn then you’re only messing with 1 pair instead of 2. And Myers and OJ have been great together. Love that pairing. 

Rousell’s free ride is embarrassing, the guy is helping us lose, not win. I liked him in year one but it’s clear he’s no more then an extra forward you slot in if you need a boost or energy or there’s an injury. 

Yeah we need a better approach. Play to win but don’t scrape the barrel cause the playoffs aren’t happening without some magic St.Louis type run.The team wasn’t really ready yet to compete for a cup. Compete for a  playoff spot sure i think we should be good enough on paper for that. A winning attitude is still very important. But at the end of the day players like OJ are going to be needed to have success in the future. So he should be played. If he looked outta place sure, I get it. But he’s not helping us lose. He’s a bright spot, why eff with that ?

Yeah I forgot to mention Roussel that truly is a headscratcher as to why he has not been benched yet. The Taxi Squad is there for a reason. 

Also, the 2 things I am concerned with at this point is the team's "Winning Attitude" and the "Future Development" of our young players. This needs to remain intact at all costs. Not too concerned about the wins/losses as I am the other 2 above mentioned concerns.

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah I forgot to mention Roussel that truly is a headscratcher as to why he has not been benched yet. The Taxi Squad is there for a reason. 

Also, the 2 things I am concerned with at this point is the team's "Winning Attitude" and the "Future Development" of our young players. This needs to remain intact at all costs. Not too concerned about the wins/losses as I am the other 2 above mentioned concerns.

Exactly I’d also like to add that it’s super important that Demkos game continues to trend the right way. We need this guy big time, big part of the future. 

Winning attitude with future development in mind need to be the focus 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Who does everyone hope we can draft ?

It’s gonna be a weird one with a very shortened season for some of them. I would just go in with the mind set of the best defencemen when it’s our turn to pick. Luckily this draft does look D heavy 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Who does everyone hope we can draft ?

A #1/2 big mobile all-rounder D that can be the rock on defense for the next decade and step up into the NHL asap.

I know wishful thinking. 

Lol.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

35 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I can't believe with all of the things that are going wrong with this team people are still trying to blame Jake. Mind boggling. :picard:

if that is the way you take it, can't help that!, he had an okay game, why do people make Jake out that any little good thing he does,  he becomes awesome! the one who was awesome was Hoglander, who outplays Jake and some others nightly

• RoughGame 1