The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don't think the team has the money to bring Pearson back, Sutter maybe on a 3 year deal to replace Beagle - seems very rational to get some of what we lost from the TT back by trading Pearson - Coleman got a first from TB last year ... it's possible (although unlikely), we could get a first IF he plays well... likely a second and a c level prospect.    We could retain 50% on both these guys - making it very attractive to any team.   Might as make your plans now for the off season.    Strange times and also think there won't be as much TDL activity - but there will be some.    Our players know the cap situation.    And that not everyone is coming back (again).   Hamonic maybe too (if he wants a new contract - he's got to show he's still got it).... Edler  will almost certainly get an offer from the team - that i hope it's down a couple million, he's not worth 6 anymore.  

Look, everything is always speculation. You or I don't have a clue what's happening on the inside. There are many possibilities that could/should happen. If JB is going to continue to be in charge, then I'm pretty sure he's well aware of and doing everything possible to improve the team.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

True, but alot of indications are that the draft might not be until the summer of 2022 and even then its hard to expect a 18-19yr old dman to come in and make an immediate impact. For every Eklbad, Dahlin and Makar there are multiple dmen taken in the top 5 that take a few years to make an impact, look no further than #48.

Oh yes, aside from Powers i doubt any of the D's will come in right away.   L Hughes is committed another year - and don't think he's ready physically either a bean pole.   I know D's take at least one more year to develop then forwards for the most case.   Power looks to have all the right tools to come in earn a roster spot right away, the rest - very doubtful. Ekblad is a good comparison.   All the reports say he's years ahead of where he should be maturity wise - he's a monster size wise - and already playing against young men in the NCAA and killing it.    We'd have to win the lottery so a pipe dream really.    Not super crazy with the couple of Cs in the top ten, i'd guess they'd need a year too.

Edit:  On Makar - he took two years before his rookie season too...aside from a little playoff action that is, a year ahead of QHughes draft.    Heiskanen took time too... one year of development is rare for D's ... even the best ranked ones. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

17 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Look, everything is always speculation. You or I don't have a clue what's happening on the inside. There are many possibilities that could/should happen. If JB is going to continue to be in charge, then I'm pretty sure he's well aware of and doing everything possible to improve the team.

His problem though seems to be time-management.  He runs out of it

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Agreed for sure ... it's so easy to say we need this or that - entirely different from reality of being a GM.   Personally i think JB has done an above average job overall, and that he's getting better.   Wanted him not to re-sign any of the UFAs, with the exception of maybe Tanev although leaning against that too, what he offered is what was best for the team a two year deal.    Felt the team needed a down year - well we for sure are getting that.   Might as well be as down as possible as wow we getting some great odds at the moment for an incredible D prospect(s).    Trading a first for Miller - best deal i can re-call like that in ... can't even remember.   His stock has only gone up and gives the team options.     

Im not sure what the best course of action, it's all just experience watching hockey and studying its history for several decades.    Which is why i can say Miller and Schmidt were great deals for the team, without them we'd be even worse - it's getting us closer to the finishing touches.    And yes i agree that JB is going to continue adding those finishing touches for as long as he's allowed to.   Don't think he should be fired like some folks do.   Bergervin should be fired.   Since 2012...mediocrity seems to be his calling, and in a bad way.    Poile in NSH, one of the best GMs for decades, is in the hot seat.   There are few GMs i'd swap out with but he's one of them - and part of me is hoping that's what JB can develop into. 

The only thing that worries me is JB makes some bad trades or bad signings - like every GM ever in the history of the sport if will happen - doesn't matter who's running the team id worry about that.   Quin, my favourite all time - made a complete mess of things (well it was also Orca that did that) while at the helm with Bure, Gretzky (wasn't him), Messier etc ....  

JB has done enough to be given the chance to add the finishing touches.   The core is still two or three years away from all guys in their early - mid primes.  Enough time to add what i see as priorities.    Anyone's guess as to how that goes. 

• RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And why is Michaelis gathering rust in the press box?  Brisebois too.  As well, was Rafferty that bad in his one game (that 7-3 loss to Montreal) that he isn't worth another look? In that game, he was on the ice for 2 goals against, but got 1 assist so was -1 for the game.  Hasn't played since.   Also on the ice for 2 against and 1 assist was Hughes.  When Green gets a hate on for a player, might as well look for a trading partner 

This also comes down to what is going on between JB and TG.    We saw a blender last night - Hamonic in - OJ out. Is the team going to trade Hamonic?  Are they hiding Rafferty in the weeds on purpose - Button boldly predicted he could be a top four NHL d on any team a year ago when he was ripping it up in the AHL...at that time too.   There are so many variables we as fans aren't privy too.    Until i see a vet traded - and guys like Lind, Rafferty and Brisbois get some games it seems pretty certain that the team is still just trying to win games.  

The season is beyond salvaging .... might as well embrace it. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

I didn't want to do an official CDC poll so I just thought I'd throw it out there...how many good games have the Canucks played this year?

For arguments sake lets say none of the "moral victories" count, so if the Canucks didn't get at least a point I'm not counting it as a "good game".

So how many?

Lets look at the 8 wins and 2 OT losses.

Opening night. The Oilers had several defensive zone breakdowns and basically gifted 3 goals to the Canucks. Holtby had to make a couple of big saves in the 3rd to keep the game at 4-3. A win, but not a good game.

The 6-5 home opener against the Habs. The Habs outshot the Canucks and had all the momentum when Toffoli put them ahead 5-4 with just over 3mins to play. The Canucks were fortunate to get the tying goal a short time later and get the SO win. A win but giving up 5 goals at home and needing a late one to tie it up, not a good game.

The 3 Ottawa wins. The Canucks were outshot in all 3 games but they did what they had to do. 3 good games (I guess).

The 4-1 win in Winnipeg. The Canucks best game, by far. They scored first, outshot the Jets by 15 and were dominant the whole game. Great game.

The 3-1 win against the Flames. Lots of shots on Marky, playing a flat Flames team but needed a late goal to squeak out a win. A good game.

The 4-3 OT loss to Calgary. The Canucks got a few PP's early but blew a 2 goal lead and needed a very late "miracle" to squeak out a point. Not a good game.

The 5-1 win in Calgary. Very similar to the Winnipeg win just not quite as dominant. A good game.

The 4-3 OT loss to Winnipeg. Pretty much the same as the 4-3 OT loss to Calgary. Not a good game.

The 2 OT losses are debatable. But basically they have played 2 good games, 1 great game and 3 good Ottawa games.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I didn't want to do an official CDC poll so I just thought I'd throw it out there...how many good games have the Canucks played this year?

For arguments sake lets say none of the "moral victories" count, so if the Canucks didn't get at least a point I'm not counting it as a "good game".

So how many?

Opening night. The Oilers had several defensive zone breakdowns and basically gifted 3 goals to the Canucks. Holtby had to make a couple of big saves in the 3rd to keep the game at 4-3. A win, but not a good game.

The 6-5 home opener against the Habs. The Habs outshot the Canucks and had all the momentum when Toffoli put them ahead 5-4 with just over 3mins to play. The Canucks were fortunate to get the tying goal a short time later and get the SO win. A win but giving up 5 goals at home and needing a late one to tie it up, not a good game.

The 3 Ottawa wins. The Canucks were outshot in all 3 games but they did what they had to do. 3 good games (I guess).

The 4-1 win in Winnipeg. The Canucks best game, by far. They scored first, outshot the Jets by 15 and were dominant the whole game. Great game.

The 3-1 win against the Flames. Lots of shots on Marky, playing a flat Flames team but needed a late goal to squeak out a win. A good game.

The 4-3 OT loss to Calgary. The Canucks got a few PP's early but blew a 2 goal lead and needed a very late "miracle" to squeak out a point. Not a good game.

The 5-1 win in Calgary. Very similar to the Winnipeg win just not quite as dominant. A good game.

The 4-3 OT loss to Winnipeg. Pretty much the same as the 4-3 OT loss to Calgary. Not a good game.

The 2 OT losses are debatable. But basically they have played 2 good games, 1 great game and 3 good Ottawa games.

8 plus 2 is 10... we blew leads and came back twice ... at least we got the points... we also had three or so good games we lost so i'd say 13 overall. 

• RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

So how many?

I bolded the only games I believe were actually good games where the team played to it's strengths and actually looked engaged for the full 60 minutes. Otherwise, this team has been a discombobulated mess.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is the question that keeps nagging me...........

If Benning had any idea that last year was a one off, and we were going to fall back, why did he go and invest in Toffoli and Miller?

I mean, these type of moves are an indication that the club is moving forward and getting better.......

But if he did not know..............why the hell not? To me, this is why he should be fired, he is paid to know

He invested in making the playoffs last season because if the Canucks missed, he'd have been fired.

He's been one foot in playoff mode, and one foot in retooling mode the whole time.  Never committed to either until last year.  But all the bad moves of years past have caught up, and he couldn't even resign Toffoli.  So back to retool mode.  

At least his bumbling has resulted in high draft picks over and over.  Though I'm starting to feel like an Oilers fan.  Few high end prospects that keep getting spanked by actually good teams every year has gotten old. It's time to win, and Benning has shown nothing to indicate he can build a good lineup. Hey, maybe we can trade our 1st and 2nd round pick again to squeak in the playoffs :picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

A solid game from the Canucks which yielded no points. At this point that is almost secondary. The remix on the lineups was solid. All forward lines played well. Hoglander with EP 40, Virtanen dominated at times with Horvat and Miller re-energized Gaudette who had multiple chances. Unfortunately my negative is Roussel. Demko was a standout. Edler had a tough game. 

Half the season is gone. Play it out. Develop and evaluate. Move vets if the return is worth it. Rotate the young players thru the lineup. Firing the coaches has no point unless the players shut it down which they do not appear to have done. The players and coaches are not naive they know changes are inevitable at seasons end. Part of the maturation process for the young core is the realization that their play has consequences not just for themselves but for those in the org. 

There is no point in desperation trades. The fans can fret away but their level o knowledge is often questionable and since filling the seats is a moot point Aqualini can wait it out. Making changes has down side risk especially if the replacements are no better.   

Good post.  Aqua said it well in his address to the fans.  Progress isn't always straight up or linear.   A lot of lessons for the younger group.   OJ and Hoglander - some bright takeaways.  Team is missing Motte now too.   Even though i'd like a blue chip pick at this point, and i'd like to see the team sell some vets at the TDL, i'm hoping the team doesn't mail it in and keeps pushing every game. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

He invested in making the playoffs last season because if the Canucks missed, he'd have been fired.

He's been one foot in playoff mode, and one foot in retooling mode the whole time.  Never committed to either until last year.  But all the bad moves of years past have caught up, and he couldn't even resign Toffoli.  So back to retool mode.  

At least his bumbling has resulted in high draft picks over and over.  Though I'm starting to feel like an Oilers fan.  Few high end prospects that keep getting spanked by actually good teams every year has gotten old. It's time to win, and Benning has shown nothing to indicate he can build a good lineup. Hey, maybe we can trade our 1st and 2nd round pick again to squeak in the playoffs :picard:

Yea he traded for Miller and TT to save his job.

The playoff run last year was overrated on here. Yes, the Canucks beat Minny, beat a St Louis team that didn't want to be there, and took Vegas to 7 with a hot goalie.  Exciting during the time, not a good indicator of real life.

The good thing is this season is also not a good indicator of real life, so take your pick, sell some assets, and move on.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

A solid game from the Canucks which yielded no points. At this point that is almost secondary. The remix on the lineups was solid. All forward lines played well. Hoglander with EP 40, Virtanen dominated at times with Horvat and Miller re-energized Gaudette who had multiple chances. Unfortunately my negative is Roussel. Demko was a standout. Edler had a tough game. 

Half the season is gone. Play it out. Develop and evaluate. Move vets if the return is worth it. Rotate the young players thru the lineup. Firing the coaches has no point unless the players shut it down which they do not appear to have done. The players and coaches are not naive they know changes are inevitable at seasons end. Part of the maturation process for the young core is the realization that their play has consequences not just for themselves but for those in the org. 

There is no point in desperation trades. The fans can fret away but their level o knowledge is often questionable and since filling the seats is a moot point Aqualini can wait it out. Making changes has down side risk especially if the replacements are no better.   

Good post. I agree with everything point.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Symptoms of fatigue

Fatigue can cause a vast range of other physical, mental and emotional symptoms including:

• chronic tiredness or sleepiness
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • sore or aching muscles
  • muscle weakness
  • slowed reflexes and responses
  • impaired decision-making and judgement
  • moodiness, such as irritability
  • impaired hand-to-eye coordination
  • appetite loss
  • reduced immune system function
  • blurry vision
  • short-term memory problems
  • poor concentration
  • hallucinations
  • reduced ability to pay attention to the situation at hand
  • low motivation.

watching the Canucks play, I can’t help but think they are not just tired, but fatigued, a more serious nature of being tired.

Look at the symptoms. Slowed reflexes, impaired decision making, impaired hand eye, poor concentration, low motivation.
They’ve played the most games, travelled the most, practiced the least in the entire NHL.

Last nights game (heck the last 4 games), checked so many of the above. We’re all searching for the reason(s) of why our team is so poor these days.  This could be a big factor.

And other teams are starting to get hit now too. Calgary and Montreal are falling as the schedule catches up with them. Can’t wait to see how Edmonton and Toronto do when their time comes.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1