The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The question is. Why is the PP so bad compared to last year when it’s the exact same 5 man unit. To me that says the players are good enough and the coaching is not 

It is bad because other teams have scouted us and we keep doing the same damned things. Same thing with our coverage in our own end. The playoffs was an illusion created by two goalies playing miles over their heads. This was a playoff that we got into only because of a Covid shortened season - at the time in the regular season that the season ended, we were busy losing a playoff spot.

Then, in the offseason because of Benning’s terrible financial management, we essentially disassembled whatever little chance we had. This team could not afford to lose Markstrom, sure as heck couldn’t afford to lose Toffoli and the assets we gave up to get him, definitely couldn’t afford the loss of Tanev, never mind losing Stetcher and Leivo. We are seeing why Schmidt and Myers were available ar six million per and these contracts, like reflections of the Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Roussel deals that preceded have affected the past three years, will hand cuff us in the future.

I think Benning was a guy desperate to keep his job, bowed to ownership demands for something now. This is precisely what happens when you manage only for the short term -then your short term lasts forever just slapping six million dollar patchon six million dollar patch, and never having the resources to take advantage of the real bargains that occasionally show up.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

Dare I say it, but I think Tyler Motte might have made a difference the last few weeks defensively and maybe offensively. Not a big diff, but I would guess if Motte was in, he'd probably factor in to maybe 2 more wins at most? Remember how he was playing before he got injured, he really carried his play from the bubble and gave the bottom 6 a real boost

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It is bad because other teams have scouted us and we keep doing the same damned things. Same thing with our coverage in our own end. The playoffs was an illusion created by two goalies playing miles over their heads. This was a playoff that we got into only because of a Covid shortened season - at the time in the regular season that the season ended, we were busy losing a playoff spot.

Then, in the offseason because of Benning’s terrible financial management, we essentially disassembled whatever little chance we had. This team could not afford to lose Markstrom, sure as heck couldn’t afford to lose Toffoli and the assets we gave up to get him, definitely couldn’t afford the loss of Tanev, never mind losing Stetcher and Leivo. We are seeing why Schmidt and Myers were available ar six million per and these contracts, like reflections of the Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Roussel deals that preceded have affected the past three years, will hand cuff us in the future.

I think Benning was a guy desperate to keep his job, bowed to ownership demands for something now. This is precisely what happens when you manage only for the short term -then your short term lasts forever just slapping six million dollar patchon six million dollar patch, and never having the resources to take advantage of the real bargains that occasionally show up.

I have no problems with Myers and Schmidt. I think Myers has been a bright spot and great guy with Joulevi. Schmidt is coming around. 

The structure is messed man. Losing Tanev and Marky hurt but look at Calgary, not so hot over there right now.

The Problem is this year was a cap correction because of the paid bottom six. It’s hurt our depth. I was happy there was no buyouts last offseason to try and sign one of those guys. Cause at the end of the day this cap has to fixed over the next 2 years as these contacts expire, Loui and spooner buyout is off the books as well.

JB can’t be handing out these types of contracts going forward or they need to get someone else in there. These 2 years are the real opportunity to put a high level team together 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

on a positive note :
- Hamonic looks good.he really adds something in our D corp.

- Sutter needs to be signed for a 2 years deal (under 3M)

- Our bottom 6 has lost all its energy since Motte is out, He is the heart and soul of our bottom 6 and it shows.

- Keep Gaudette, he s maturing well.

- Demko played great, he s our go to guy and we need to give him a lot of starts.

on need-to-be-addressed note, which whom are more or less the same than every one else obvious issues  :

- Roussel needs to be benched, exposed, picked up in ED.

- Virtanen, Pearson, Edler : time to trade them to a contending teams and bring something in return.

- Don't bench Juolevi, his confidence is rising. 

- Play Hawryluk more, don't get his ice time unless he had some health stepbacks.

- Fire Green > Crow ? not sure about Julien, don't want to spark a "trade-me-right-fu**ing-now" desease spread among player : hello Miller.

- Fire Brown

- Fire Red. hum Baum. > Bieksa ? 

- Keep Benning as a head Scout, but hire a new GM > Linden ? no exp as a GM yet but already at the head of Hockey Operation so...

- DONT TRADE MILLER. he is a PPG producer, and that would be a massive step back. event for a 1st round pick.

- ANNNNNNND its time to burn the Orca. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • RoughGame 1

51 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That is what made Toffoli look good to many on here. It is the same same. Toffoli and the Canadiens have not done much else after their hot start. 

I am fine with Toffoli being gone. 

• RoughGame 1

45 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

on a positive note :
- Hamonic looks good.he really adds something in our D corp.

- Sutter needs to be signed for a 2 years deal (under 3M)

- Our bottom 6 has lost all its energy since Motte is out, He is the heart and soul of our bottom 6 and it shows.

- Keep Gaudette, he s maturing well.

- Demko played great, he s our go to guy and we need to give him a lot of starts.

on need-to-be-addressed note, which whom are more or less the same than every one else obvious issues  :

- Roussel needs to be benched, exposed, picked up in ED.

- Virtanen, Pearson, Edler : time to trade them to a contending teams and bring something in return.

- Don't bench Juolevi, his confidence is rising. 

- Play Hawryluk more, don't get his ice time unless he had some health stepbacks.

- Fire Green > Crow ? not sure about Julien, don't want to spark a "trade-me-right-fu**ing-now" desease spread among player : hello Miller.

- Fire Brown

- Fire Red. hum Baum. > Bieksa ? 

- Keep Benning as a head Scout, but hire a new GM > Linden ? no exp as a GM yet but already at the head of Hockey Operation so...

- DONT TRADE MILLER. he is a PPG producer, and that would be a massive step back. event for a 1st round pick.

- ANNNNNNND its time to burn the Orca. 

Wrong.

If we are changing the coach do not make any trades. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, xereau said:

The Coil's half finished neon shouldered monstrocities?

Or, their power outage in TRONland jersies?

Ugliest duo in the league, hands down.

True... 

But the team can’t buy a win in those jerseys. 

Bring back the skates jerseys instead. At least they looked awesome...

Edited by spook007
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Virtanen was one of the best players tonight

I usually have nothing to good to say about Lazy Jake, but he did have one of those rare games where he was engaged.  Besides the two dumb penalties in the first, the fall in the corner losing the puck - almost resulting in a goal and some missed shots on the net , he did have a couple of good plays.   Hopefully we won't have to wait another 24 games to see him engaged again but somehow think it won't continue.

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

For this season.

LOL   - RU SERIOUS ?

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Why cannot we get one win... The talent is there, or in theory there is enough, but holy crap we are just awful. I want to be hopeful for the future, but I don't see the league handing us a high draft pick either. 

And the media has this weird belief that Travis Green is some sort of genius, when it is worse than with Willie D. 

TG is an INTERIM AHL Coach - brought in to get us thru the rebuild.  NO MORE - NO LESS.

He'll be gone shortly.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1