The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson to Seattle

What would you give up to move him instead of buying out  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

This sounds way too optimistic:

Its roughly 30% historically....but 100 games to me, doesn't equal a player who makes a meaningful impact on your team.

Getting an Edler etc, in the 3rd round is rare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Vegas was overloaded with contracts. 

Went from 109 points  first year down to 86 points last year. I think the sheer number of similar level players was confusing. Plus Louie is only one year. And 2022 has some nice UFAs. 

You realize they only played 71 games last year right?  If they kept the same pace they would have finished around 100 points. Not really the massive drop off you’re portraying.  Anyway. My point stands.  In a flat cap NHL having a ton of cap space is of huge value. Wasting $6m of it on Eriksson to get a measly 4th doesn’t track. 

I wonder what it'd cost to simply trade him to Seattle at 50% retained, they'd probably be more inclined to do that than take the entire 6m for a season 

Doing so would give us 1m more cap space next season than we'd get if we were to buy him out

Not interested in giving up a first to do it in any year, we'd be better off eating the final year or buying him out 

If we can acquire say, a second round pick for Pearson and flip it to move Loui that'd be rad

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its roughly 30% historically....but 100 games to me, doesn't equal a player who makes a meaningful impact on your team.

Getting an Edler etc, in the 3rd round is rare.

Rounds 2 through 7, equals  6 picks per team, equals 180 picks of which you think approx. 54 make the NHL?

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Edler was a 3rd round pick. 

Gradin, by whatever rumored story you wish to believe, found out about him before anybody outside of THE Detroit amateur scout knew anything about him.  Edler was playing in a beer league type of hockey organization.  Detroit was going to pick him later in the draft but Gradin got the jump on the & persuaded our GM to draft him.

Nowadays, there aren’t as many ‘secrets’ or unknown talents.

As for offering a 2nd round pick to Seattle to grab Eriksson, they’d laugh at the offer and hang up the phone.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

2nd round is about 30% chance of playing 100 games in NHL. It declines sharply from there.

this is why they probably don't do it. 2nd rounders are nice but its a long shot. Hoglander's are rare.

The approach I'm hoping for is sending him to Utica at some point this season. Things look to be turning for the better but there isn't enough runway left to catch up, so sometime in mid-April I'd like to see Lind brought in, Loui sent to upstate NY for a taste of what next season will look like and hope he terminates. 

if not, just buy him out, save the picks. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking at Seattle's likely potential choices from VAN:

- Myers, cap hit $6m x 3

- Holtby, $4.3m x 1

- Beagle, $3m x 1

- Roussel, $3m x 1

- Virtanen, $2.5 x 1

- An RFA prospect like Lind, Jasek, etc

Perhaps they would take on Eriksson ($6m x 1) + 2nd round pick instead of those above choices.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

- Myers, cap hit $6m x 3

- Holtby, $4.3m x 1

- Beagle, $3m x 1

- Roussel, $3m x 1

- Virtanen, $2.5 x 1

Perhaps they would take on Eriksson ($6m x 1) + 2nd round pick instead of those above choices.

I'd still be inclined to protect Virtanen in this draft. If nothing else I suspect that if he were traded he could garner a bigger return than one of the other prospects/AHL forwards the Canucks have available (Boeser, Gaudette, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Virtanen).

The only way I would make him available is if I really wanted to improve the chances that Seattle wouldn't take Myers (assuming he is the d-man left exposed), and I don't believe offering a 2nd to take Eriksson would achieve that. I'd ask, but I do suspect that I'd be turned down.

regards,  G. 

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I'd still be inclined to protect Virtanen in this draft. If nothing else I suspect that if he were traded he could garner a bigger return than one of the other prospects/AHL forwards the Canucks have available (Boeser, Gaudette, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Virtanen).

The only way I would make him available is if I really wanted to improve the chances that Seattle wouldn't take Myers (assuming he is the d-man left exposed), and I don't believe offering a 2nd to take Eriksson would achieve that. I'd ask, but I do suspect that I'd be turned down.

regards,  G. 

It might sound crazy but my 7 protected forwards would be: Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Motte, MacEwen, Beagle

Big Mac is about our only F that has any fight and pushback. He also is quick and has really good skills, just needs a little more time to show what he can really achieve in the big show. Beagle is a key part of our lineup for next season, esp with Sutter unlikely to return. Although Seattle is unlikely to select him, I would not want to lose him.

This leaves Gaudette and Virtanen exposed. I won't lose any sleep over losing one of these two. Yes they could be traded, but their value is minor imo. 

Regarding Seattle taking Loui + 2nd. I totally agree its unlikely, but just pointing out that Seattle is not going to make out like bandits when selecting a Canuck, so its not inconceivable that they might go that route!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean, it's bad there's no doubt about that but I don't think anyone was predicting as stark a fall as Louie took when he came here.

The term was and is the issue and ppl in that exact time complained about that.

Never ever pay expensive long-term contract to a new-coming player in that age range.

That is the lesson.

7 hours ago, BENN said:

The term was and is the issue and ppl in that exact time complained about that.

Never ever pay expensive long-term contract to a new-coming player in that age range.

That is the lesson.

I mean I wasn’t arguing against any of that. I simply alluded to the fact that nobody guessed.... even those who didn’t like the term.... that he would go from a 30 goal guy to a 2 goal (only empty net) guy.

I would have expected him to be roughly a 20 goal guy for most of his contract. (Obviously I was super wrong). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

It might sound crazy but my 7 protected forwards would be: Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Motte, MacEwen, Beagle

Big Mac is about our only F that has any fight and pushback. He also is quick and has really good skills, just needs a little more time to show what he can really achieve in the big show. Beagle is a key part of our lineup for next season, esp with Sutter unlikely to return. Although Seattle is unlikely to select him, I would not want to lose him.

This leaves Gaudette and Virtanen exposed. I won't lose any sleep over losing one of these two. Yes they could be traded, but their value is minor imo. 

Regarding Seattle taking Loui + 2nd. I totally agree its unlikely, but just pointing out that Seattle is not going to make out like bandits when selecting a Canuck, so its not inconceivable that they might go that route!

I have to admit that I have second thoughts about protecting Virtanen/Gaudette over MacEwen, but not so much for Beagle. In Beagle's case, while I do like his play, age and only one more year on his current contract argues against protecting him.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

Without reading anything but the title and the poll...anyone thinking one year of LE won't cost us anything but our first is dreaming.   Cap even with Seattle joining the league (and assuming their 3.2% of the overall cap) is going to be flat for some time yet.    6 million and a depth player ... well Marleau could at least still contribute and he cost a first right?   If Seattle took LE and our second, JB or whomever is an absolute miracle worker.   Wake up. 

14 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

- Myers, cap hit $6m x 3

- Holtby, $4.3m x 1

- Beagle, $3m x 1

- Roussel, $3m x 1

- Virtanen, $2.5 x 1

They also have Rafferty - AHL all star who Button was convinced a year ago could step in and be a top four D right then.  Lind who we haven't seen play yet,  odds are he's better then a second rounder without getting saddled with LE, same with Brisbois while we are at it - and one of AG or JV as a reparation project.    LE isn't going anywhere that's a pipe dream.  

Also as far as team building go with a ton of guys with one or two year deals, Myers is way more appealing then some given credit for.   Chatfield?  Well he was part of our losing streak at the start, haven't seen him since.   I think the club is hiding Rafferty in the weeds.   We could for sure become "THAT" team that let William Karlsson go (Lind), or Theodore if Rafferty is a good as Button thinks he is.  We'd better freaking protect Motte. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I have to admit that I have second thoughts about protecting Virtanen/Gaudette over MacEwen, but not so much for Beagle. In Beagle's case, while I do like his play, age and only one more year on his current contract argues against protecting him.

regards,  G.

What about Motte?  Hell no to not protecting him too.  If protect him over AG, JV, Beagle, Lind, McEwen etc.  As far as D goes ... well just re-sigh either Benn or Hamonic already and leave Myers alone.   We won't get another guy like him next year / they are all gone already unless JB pulls a miracle out of his butt and wins the Hamilton sweepstakes / so far CAR keeps saying he's not going anywhere and i believe them.    The year after?  Well maybe.  But doubt it.   If RHDs came to free agency often i wouldn't be so worried.   But they do not.   Name some anyone, the past decade.   Barrie?  lol.  Ugh. 

Protect:

pettersson

miller

horvat

motte

virtanen

gaudette

boeser

myers

schmidt

juolevi (needs 12 games in order to need to be protected so he may or may not get there) 

demko

As of right now they are exposing: eriksson, beagle, roussel, holtby and a dman that has a contract for next year 

If I understand the rules, Seattle either has to take on one of those contracts or a pending UFA and it’s just a wash for us 

5 hours ago, billabong said:

Protect:

pettersson

miller

horvat

motte

virtanen

gaudette

boeser

myers

schmidt

juolevi (needs 12 games in order to need to be protected so he may or may not get there) 

demko

As of right now they are exposing: eriksson, beagle, roussel, holtby and a dman that has a contract for next year 

If I understand the rules, Seattle either has to take on one of those contracts or a pending UFA and it’s just a wash for us 

Seattle can take any single player that is not protected as long as that player has played more than 2 "professional" seasons by the end of this season.

This means Lind, Jasek, MacEwen, Brisebois are all able to be selected if we do not protect them, because they will have had 3 or more seasons in the AHL, which counts as a professional league.

Interestingly enough Rafferty is not eligible for selection because he has only played 2019-20 and 2020-21 in the AHL (i.e. only two seasons).

The only players currently exempt from selection are: Hughes, Hoglander, Rathbone, Lockwood, Focht, Michaelis, Woo, Eliot, Dipietro, Silovs, Kielly and Tryamkin.

Regarding Juolevi, he is eligible to be selected if we don't protect him (2 seasons in AHL + this season in NHL).

I think you are getting the "number of games played" confused with the Canuck's minimum requirements as a team. These minimum requirements are related to the team and not individual players. The rule is that the Canucks must expose 2F, 1D and 1G that has played at least 27 games in 2020-21 or 54 games in 2019-20 + 2020-21. Individual players do not have to reach these targets to be protected or to be eligible to be selected by Seattle.

Edited by BigTramFan
Correction: Rafferty's 2 games in 2018-19 count as a full season due to him being over 20 y/o at the time

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

They also have Rafferty - AHL all star who Button was convinced a year ago could step in and be a top four D right then.  Lind who we haven't seen play yet,  odds are he's better then a second rounder without getting saddled with LE, same with Brisbois while we are at it - and one of AG or JV as a reparation project.    LE isn't going anywhere that's a pipe dream.  

Also as far as team building go with a ton of guys with one or two year deals, Myers is way more appealing then some given credit for.   Chatfield?  Well he was part of our losing streak at the start, haven't seen him since.   I think the club is hiding Rafferty in the weeds.   We could for sure become "THAT" team that let William Karlsson go (Lind), or Theodore if Rafferty is a good as Button thinks he is.  We'd better freaking protect Motte. 

Relax, Panic Rafferty is not eligible for selection by Seattle due to playing 2 or less professional seasons. because his 2 games for the Canucks in 2018/19 count as a "full season" because he was over the age of 20 at the time...

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Haha 1