The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

It’s helpful to put things into perspective.  The original post that I had replied to had mentioned long term effects and how it compares to flu. 

We will all eventually get Covid, it’s just a matter of time. We’re trying to keep everyone from getting it at the same time.  

When it’s your turn don’t panic, that’s all I think people need to keep in mind.  Healthy mind is just as important when fighting illnesses IMO. 

This isn't true given the vaccines coming out so I also don't see the point in looking at things this dismally either. I say let's be realistic about this:

1) A lot of people will get it but it's not going to be everybody. We have vaccines now.

2) Most do survive, which isn't good because that means people are dying. Most is a low bar that should never be accepted as adequate.

3) There are variants out there and this 3rd wave may end up being the worst of them all because of those variants. While we vaccinate, there's still going to be that havoc in the meantime.

We will get out of this eventually and I get that people are anxious to go back to normal, but becoming anxious and pretending the flu is similar is just going to kill more people. It doesn't help.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'll try to remember to think happy thoughts as my lungs fill with fluids, thanks for the tip. :(

Well I hope that you don’t get sick gurn, I’m not wishing this on anyone but you most likely will deal with it at some point.  

If you want to think about all the worst case scenarios as you go through it then go ahead. 

10 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Irregardless of my opinion or yours COVID is what it is, the media however can and do twist it to create a lot more fear than there needs to be.

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

When it’s your turn don’t panic, that’s all I think people need to keep in mind.  Healthy mind is just as important when fighting illnesses IMO. 

lawl

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well I hope that you don’t get sick gurn, I’m not wishing this on anyone but you most likely will deal with it at some point.  

If you want to think about all the worst case scenarios as you go through it then go ahead. 

And it's fine if you wish to think about sunshine and lolipops, just keep a mask on if you come close to me, ok?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

And it's fine if you wish to think about sunshine and lolipops, just keep a mask on if you come close to me, ok?

I do in fact wear a mask in public.  

Why are you so defensive about this subject?  

Anti-vaxxers and maskers are ignorant. There is a case of being ignorant on the other side of the fence. 

I simply stated with a published

journal that flu also can have long term effects and @gurn and @SNuck apparently got offended. This was IN RESPONSE to a message implying that flu doesn’t have long term effects.  

How dare anyone have a discussion about this subject! 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Wow. That's a "fantastic point". Glad we have such a low bar that we care more about people "not living life" than we do people dying.

Most Some people don't survive

ftfy

Because it only seems fair to the families to put the emphasis where it should be, out of respect.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have just finished listening to a new book on the market (audible.ca but in the bookstores too) called "The Code Breaker", by Walter Isaacson. It's about Jennifer Doudna (Nobel Chemistry Prize co-winner, 2020) and gene editing. I covers the history of genetics, genes, DNA, RNA, CRSPR and mRNA and the incredible work going on over the last 8 to 10 years on a new way to vaccinate. It explains the older methods of vaccinations (that the Anti-Vaxers think are people are still doing) and how this new method works. My degree is in Mathematics, and I was onboard early (1967) with computer programming and the great rivals in silicon valley. This sounds just like that, except the new programming frontier is in Biology and Chemistry, subjects I know little about. So some of it was over my head, but it sure gives me some ammunition for my next argument with an Anti-Vaxer.  Well worth the read (or the listen!).

• Cheers 1

I obviously worry for the up to 3% who may die of this horrible situation globally, but I worry more about the next mutation and how high that mutty's death rate may be? is 12% too high? 9%? At what level will people realize that the more opportunity to replicate, the more chances of a more deadly variant there are. Darwin wasn't blowing smoke, everything has a good chance at a 'beneficial' mutation given enough replications. 

For that reason I have stayed home the majority of the last year and will double down on limiting my face to face exposures for the next month or so. When your up 1-0 in the third, you don't take a shift off, ya dig?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Anybody hear any news on how our boys are doing today?

It's ever changing and depends on who you get the info from.  Overall, likely ok but some seem to be getting hit harder than others

• Thanks 1