The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its pretty clear that Aquilini was waiting to know what the financial picture would be prior to making any big decisions, which isn't unreasonable.I don't think its an accident about a week after Bonnie Henry says there will be fans in the stands that Aqua opens up his wallet, even to buyouts. 

So I suppose a person could personalize the situation and have their own deadlines, but it seems a bit deaf to the reality of the teams finances. But it may also have been bad optics to re-sign the goalie coach before the head coach don't you think? that would have been spun in the media as Green being as good as gone. 

I hope Clark stays for Demko's sake, but if he's pissed and/or wants to go elsewhere it is what it is. Its a big loss but its also kind of a unique situation. 

I think goalie coaches do make a dif. Allard says hello. Demko’s huge endorsement counts! Marky also gave Clarke a big +. Like you said there are limits on both sides. We will have to see how it shakes out. Clarke could easily want another 2 year deal to have the satisfaction of seeing his work culminate in a serious CUP drive.

Just now, Boudrias said:

I think goalie coaches do make a dif. Allard says hello. Demko’s huge endorsement counts! Marky also gave Clarke a big +. Like you said there are limits on both sides. We will have to see how it shakes out. Clarke could easily want another 2 year deal to have the satisfaction of seeing his work culminate in a serious CUP drive.

oh I agree. Just pointing out that the financial constraints likely aren't of Bennings making. It seems very reasonable to me that you'd have to wait to know what the financial forecast is before handing out big staff contracts. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh I agree. Just pointing out that the financial constraints likely aren't of Bennings making. It seems very reasonable to me that you'd have to wait to know what the financial forecast is before handing out big staff contracts. 

Benning made it pretty clear of how things unfolded.  Said owners had to really look at the financial footprint this year.  Obviously, delays and decisions were driven by $$ and that's understandable.  What business owner DOESN'T review the budget and consider cuts in line with what's happening in the world?  That's just good business to have a finger on the pulse.  We have some generous owners willing to spend....that much we know.  So maybe they're seeing that unlimited spending doesn't always equate to success - this is a good thing overall as that will trickle down to JB.  Just because he can doesn't mean he should (spend). 

Once JB was brought back he had to get the ok before he could start looking at re-hirings but not until then.  Green was first in line, said Clark will be approached in the coming few days and offered a contract.  

If he declines the offer, CDC will go nuts but he also has the right to decide and may want to move on.  It doesn't mean someone's "to blame"...it happens. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Benning made it pretty clear of how things unfolded.  Said they had to really look at the financial footprint of things this year.  Obviously, decisions were driven by $$ and that's understandable.  So once he was brought back and got the ok, he could start looking at re-hirings but not until then.  Green was first in line, said Clark will be approached in the coming few days and offered a contract.  

If he declines the offer, CDC will go nuts but he also has the right to decide and may want to move on.  It doesn't mean someone's "to blame"...it happens. 

I would think Demko's public comments would have an impact as well. 

But yeah, the  blame game will crank up if he moves on. Seems like thats the only reason some people follow the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would think Demko's public comments would have an impact as well. 

But yeah, the  blame game will crank up if he moves on. Seems like thats the only reason some people follow the Canucks. 

I feel they likely did - as the statement yesterday was that they want to bring Clark back and will be pursuing that.  Jim was going to reach out to him yesterday or today to get things heading in that direction.

But, if it doesn't work out, you can bet the "ran out of time" stuff will hit hard here.  Despite it being reasonable to not formulate contracts until all the financials made sense.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think it depends on a goalies stage of development.  For an older veteran goalie, there's only some many new tricks you can teach a dog for example.  But for a guy like Demko, I think a goalie coach can & will make a difference.

But again, I'm not talking from an area of expertise.  Just my opinion.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Benning made it pretty clear of how things unfolded.  Said owners had to really look at the financial footprint this year.  Obviously, delays and decisions were driven by $$ and that's understandable.  What business owner DOESN'T review the budget and consider cuts in line with what's happening in the world?  That's just good business to have a finger on the pulse.  We have some generous owners willing to spend....that much we know.  So maybe they're seeing that unlimited spending doesn't always equate to success - this is a good thing overall as that will trickle down to JB.  Just because he can doesn't mean he should (spend). 

Once JB was brought back he had to get the ok before he could start looking at re-hirings but not until then.  Green was first in line, said Clark will be approached in the coming few days and offered a contract.  

With all the media hype surrounding the Canucks the Aquilini ownership has shown solid resolve. As someone pointed out we don’t get to sit in on the meetings that set direction. Good thing! 

Interesting that the Acquilini’s are real estate developers. That equals long term planning and long term financial management. I like how they have handled things. Best owners in the history of the org.

• Cheers 2

On 5/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, bree2 said:

any news on Ian Clark?

Personally, I think this gets done by the end of the week. I really don't think Clark would want to change cities in the middle of a Pandemic. My personal guess is, this gets done and he stays here.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I think this gets done by the end of the week. I really don't think Clark would want to change cities in the middle of a Pandemic. My personal guess is, this gets done and he stays here.

in other words, no. no news on ian clark. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Honestly, they should give Ian Clark more money than they gave Green. Green is like ur average, to slightly above average head coach while Clark is one of THE best NHL goalie coach 

should THE best burger king shift manager make more money than an average to slightly above average fortune 500 ceo?

1 minute ago, tas said:

should THE best burger king shift manager make more money than an average to slightly above average fortune 500 ceo?

Not a fair comparison... Our goalie coach trains our goalies well to STEAL wins for us.. Look at how many wins Markstrom and Demko have stolen us. 

Hilarious to think Green is a fortune 500 CEO. 

Personally as fan who just watches games, I rather have Clark over green any day of the week and I can say with confidence that many ppl will agree with this statement. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Not a fair comparison... Our goalie coach trains our goalies well to STEAL wins for us.. Look at how many wins Markstrom and Demko have stolen us. 

Hilarious to think Green is a fortune 500 CEO. 

Personally as fan who just watches games, I rather have Clark over green any day of the week and I can say with confidence that many ppl will agree with this statement. 

one guy is responsible for 2-3 guys, the other is responsible for 23+.  

one guy has one area to focus on, the other guy has many, more than I could probably list. 

one guy is expected to be the public face of a franchise in a Canadian market, and you probably don't even know what the other one looks like. 

one guy has to be a teacher, the other one has to be a teacher, administrator, and leader of men. 

you probably get the point. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

one guy is responsible for 2-3 guys, the other is responsible for 23+.  

one guy has one area to focus on, the other guy has many, more than I could probably list. 

one guy is expected to be the public face of a franchise in a Canadian market, and you probably don't even know what the other one looks like. 

one guy has to be a teacher, the other one has to be a teacher, administrator, and leader of men. 

you probably get the point. 

No matter what you say, my opinion is that Clark is the more important piece. End of story. Feel free to disagree with me all you want, cuz it is pointless 

Edited by DontMessMe

This is what we're up against folks. Multiple teams will be after Clark for their goalies. I hope people remember that this isn't one sided, if he does leave.

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/05/25/flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS MUST INVEST IN IAN CLARK TO HELP CARTER HART’S FUTURE

If the Philadelphia Flyers want a low-risk and high-reward investment tip, it’s securing Ian Clark to coach Carter Hart.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is what we're up against folks. Multiple teams will be after Clark for their goalies. I hope people remember that this isn't one sided, if he does leave.

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/05/25/flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=flyers-must-invest-in-ian-clark-carter-hart

If the Philadelphia Flyers want a low-risk and high-reward investment tip, it’s securing Ian Clark to coach Carter Hart.

What’s Rollie Melanson’s contract status with the Devils?  I wonder if he could be had back if Clarke leaves of course. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What’s Rollie Melanson’s contract status with the Devils?  I wonder if he could be had back if Clarke leaves of course. 

thought he left, becaue he wanted to be closer to family?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yup... This for me is Bennings biggest signing of next season and beyond.  It may be out of Bennings hands... And it sounds as if Clarke haa already made up his mind to go elsewhere but if So hope those rumors are just that... Rumours.  Let's keep praying!!!