The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sham of Modern Art

falcon45ca

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

"In the eye of the beholder".  Except I think some people need glasses.

Also, I think I could do this.  

image.png

I beleive you could,

but would you have the where-with-all to wear a shirt the same colour as the painting you are standing beside

would your pants also match?

would your blonde hair ruin the effect?

its the details that make good art

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If Picasso smeared fecal matter on some canvas, there would be droves of people saying it’s a masterpiece!

Its like movies, if you say that they suck, movie critic says that you are too shallow to understand it.

I have been into movies all my life so I always get a laugh after reading movie critics reviews.

One of the most critically acclaimed movies is Un Chien Andalou from 1929.

Its collaboration between Dali and Bunuel and it’s basically bunch of their dreams.

Even though there is no plot line, but since it’s Salvador Dali and Luis Bunuel, critics have been ranting and raving about it for the last 100 years.

I feel the same way about "A Clockwork Orange". 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

this is silly...

this is like leaving a hotdog cartout in the city with all your hotdogs on display with a sign that says appreciate my hot hot dogs. then comeback and charge whoever ate your hotdogs citing you weren't supposed to eat them you were only supposed to appreciate them.

it would be like putting up a sign in next to a beatiful plain that said "wonderful place for selfies" then charging anyone who trespassed.

god dang it. these artists obviously forgot how stupid we humans can be! you got to make it idiot proof.

for example: don't eat tide pods.

I always felt that "Real" art are pieces that moves you, that you can feel your heart skipping a beat like a first kiss or welcoming your baby to the world.  Your soul is filled with awe and grandeur, or your mind noticing slight nuances and intricacies.... all coming to you naturally and without any of it needed to be explained to you

I know videos from PragerU isn't for some folks... but this video from an actual artist who also teaches art does have validity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reality of art is most of all the valuations are for tax deductions for the rich.

Let’s say, you, as a multimillionaire purchase a piece of art for say $100K from a semi well known artist and since art valuation is subjective you get an expert to say it’s value is actually $250K. Now you donate that to your local hospital’s charity fundraising auction, you now get a tax receipt for 250K while only having spent 100K. 

Believe me the numbers I am using are on the small side for the spread seen in this “tax advantage” which is nothing more than a loophole for rich to legally evade taxes owed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I feel the same way about "A Clockwork Orange". 

Big fan of Stanley’s work and although I own that movie, I do feel it’s overrated just like Dr. Strangelove.

Paths of Glory, Spartacus, FMJ, 2001 and Eyes wide shut are better IMO.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I always felt that "Real" art are pieces that moves you, that you can feel your heart skipping a beat like a first kiss or welcoming your baby to the world.  Your soul is filled with awe and grandeur, or your mind noticing slight nuances and intricacies.... all coming to you naturally and without any of it needed to be explained to you

I know videos from PragerU isn't for some folks... but this video from an actual artist who also teaches art does have validity.

I get those feelings from nature.

Nothing beats a fantastic sunset/sunrise.

When you are hiking in the backcountry and you hear the sound of the ice falling from the snowgum leaves as the morning sun starts to melt them.

There is so much breath taking beauty in nature.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

"In the eye of the beholder".  Except I think some people need glasses.

Also, I think I could do this.  

image.png

That painting is by Mark Rothko, who I've read a bit about.  I was thinking of him while I've been reading this thread.  

I'm also skeptical about a lot of modern art.  But, apparently, there are some people who almost have a spiritual experience viewing Rothko's paintings.

For that reason,  sometimes I think my skepticism is unwarranted.  Perhaps there is something going on in these paintings that I'm simply missing out on and that other people are tuning into. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

That painting is by Mark Rothko.  Speaking of whom:

I'm sorry, Orange Red and Yellow? 40+ million? all the way to 77 million.

There's nothing except colours and I don't see any of the three colours from the screen.

LMFAO... it's just a bunch of people bidding because someone else started to bid on it.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Big fan of Stanley’s work and although I own that movie, I do feel it’s overrated just like Dr. Strangelove.

Paths of Glory, Spartacus, FMJ, 2001 and Eyes wide shut are better IMO.

I remember a lot of hype around the movie before I watched it. My hopes were quickly dashed. Like wtf is this dashed. 

6 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

If Picasso smeared fecal matter on some canvas, there would be droves of people saying it’s a masterpiece!

Its like movies, if you say that they suck, movie critic says that you are too shallow to understand it.

I have been into movies all my life so I always get a laugh after reading movie critics reviews.

One of the most critically acclaimed movies is Un Chien Andalou from 1929.

Its collaboration between Dali and Bunuel and it’s basically bunch of their dreams.

Even though there is no plot line, but since it’s Salvador Dali and Luis Bunuel, critics have been ranting and raving about it for the last 100 years.

Picasso made sculptures out of garbage.  You may scoff but if you've seen it in person, you would call it genius.

Picasso Sculptures for Earth Day — Art History Kids

Picasso | janetthomas

I have never and will never understand most art like this.  They say its freedom of expression of an artist and people can see their pain and struggles and crap.... I see something my 3 year old does at daycare when finger painting and I don't call his stuff a piece of art, I call it fun time.

I usually assume modern art is just a good way to launder money.

Edited by Russ

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Used to watch a lot of PragrU, lots of their stuff is junk but some of their videos were pretty good.

I liked this video, I really like his apron "art" he had the students judge.  If I was asked, I can honesetly say I have no damn idea what it is.

Edited by Russ