The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sham of Modern Art

falcon45ca

A couple mistakenly "vandalized" a piece of modern art valued at $440,000.

Can it be called vandalism if it's undetectable from the original artwork? :huh: Is the original piece even art work? Can the couple be actually held responsible, given that brushes and paint was literally just sitting there in front of the "art work"?

Couple mistakenly vandalizes $440,000 painting at exhibition (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

When I was in high school. We visited for art class the Vancouver Art Gallery. The artist had: clothes hangers with paper mache fish hanging on them. A sculpted apple on a bed of grass (made all of clay). The only interesting thing was they took a bunch of wooden horses, hung them from the ceiling and made it look like a horse race. All were valued at starting at $10,000.

The next day, one of my fellow students in the class took a window screen on a block of clay. Painted it green. Made an apple made out of clay. Then asked our teacher for $10,000.

We all laughed. The teacher didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They made it look better.

Increase that made up value!

If they hadn't said anything would anyone other than the curators and the artist have noticed that the work had been 'vandalized'?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Art"

image.png

I mean come on, I know your kid made the original of this in Grade 4 out of plasticine but you didn't have to replicate and supersize it.

(I call this one "COVID")

i call it" im bent over laughing because someone paid me 250,000 to paint a mannaquein red "

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

If they hadn't said anything would anyone other than the curators and the artist have noticed that the work had been 'vandalized'?

No kiddin.

The coolest thing I ever heard about Abstract is that Jackson Pollock somehow painted in fractals that could be found in nature. 

https://blogs.uoregon.edu/richardtaylor/2016/02/08/fractal-analysis-of-jackson-pollocks-poured-paintings/

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They made it look better.

Increase that made up value!

definitely increased the made up value

this whole thing reeks of Publicity Stunt

is it even possible to "mistakenly" vandalize anything?

from Miriam Webster _ To deliberately destroy or damage property

Leaving open paint cans beside your $440,000 art in unprofessional at the very lease

Put a guard on it if neccesary. or a sign "This $440, 000 masterpiece is the finished product, please do not accidently vandalize this piece by using the props provided"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If Picasso smeared fecal matter on some canvas, there would be droves of people saying it’s a masterpiece!

Its like movies, if you say that they suck, movie critic says that you are too shallow to understand it.

I have been into movies all my life so I always get a laugh after reading movie critics reviews.

One of the most critically acclaimed movies is Un Chien Andalou from 1929.

Its collaboration between Dali and Bunuel and it’s basically bunch of their dreams.

Even though there is no plot line, but since it’s Salvador Dali and Luis Bunuel, critics have been ranting and raving about it for the last 100 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm hesitate to state whether something is "Art" or not.  I'm not in the remotely bit qualified to make such an evaluation.

As I consider THIS a masterpiece:

300?cb=20110128081617

:lol:

But it is!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1