The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

because no one on team likes him    hell they don't even stick up for him on the regular lucic didn't even ask kassian to fight 

not sure where your getting your info from, but i some what doubt that unless you got legit qoutes from team mates.

EDIT: i hope they trade him though, flames fans would go nuts lol.

Edited by TNucks1

Dear JB,

Please send Pearson (50% retained) to join his BFF in Montreal to rekindle "that 70's" line centred by Staal. With Gallagher on LTIR the Habs need another middle 6 winger that has chemistry with their players. Also, I understand that the Canadiens are light on D depth, and since they will have another $1m in cap space created by Brendan's LTIR we may as well send Jordie back "home" to Montreal (also 50% retained). After all, Benn knows the team well and can be a good depth piece for their playoff run.

What do you ask MTL for in return? I think that 2nd round pick from TBL and that fourth round pick from STL would be fitting.

Thanks,

BTF

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson has less points than Hoglander or Myers.  I think I'd rather put Podkolzin on Horvat's wing and see what happens.  We could get alot cheaper wingers to fill the 3rd line and Pearson is not really a 3rd line player.  Would rather spend any additional cap on trying to get a legit 3C.

Exactly. Here is my unpopular opinion. Pearson is overrated and redundant. We need RHD and a C. Who cares about Pearson? We will be excited to get him off the books on that 3rd year, he will be more garbage preventing us from making a move to put us over the top. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Exactly. Here is my unpopular opinion. Pearson is overrated and redundant. We need RHD and a C. Who cares about Pearson? We will be excited to get him off the books on that 3rd year, he will be more garbage preventing us from making a move to put us over the top. 

Yes. Our priority is to get a legit 3C and a partner for Hughes. We have lots of wingers coming up that Benning has already drafted. And if we need a 3rd line winger I am sure one will be available via free agency this summer at a COVID special discount. 

There will be lots of available talent on free agency this summer with the flat cap. Lots of teams needing to shed salary for next year.  We will have over $20 million coming off the books this summer as well as the opportunity to buyout a couple of other players if Aquilini agrees, which could give us another $6 million in cap space. 

Obviously Demko, Petey and Hughes will eat up a majority of that cap space but I think Benning will have enough left over to at least fill one of our two biggest needs. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Dear JB,

Please send Pearson (50% retained) to join his BFF in Montreal to rekindle "that 70's" line centred by Staal. With Gallagher on LTIR the Habs need another middle 6 winger that has chemistry with their players. Also, I understand that the Canadiens are light on D depth, and since they will have another $1m in cap space created by Brendan's LTIR we may as well send Jordie back "home" to Montreal (also 50% retained). After all, Benn knows the team well and can be a good depth piece for their playoff run.

What do you ask MTL for in return? I think that 2nd round pick from TBL and that fourth round pick from STL would be fitting.

Thanks,

BTF

Between Pearson being injured and the team having a massive Covid outbreak, it's quite unlikely we see any of our pending UFA's moved at the TDL.

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

You would think the Canucks would learn by now.

Bottom 1/3 of the league more or less for 5 years? Sell vets....don't resign.

How does one sell them when they are either injured or not ready to play till after the deadline?

Let me ask you something would you trade for someone with a busted ankle or someone who has been sick and not playing for another 2 weeks. Do you think that would be worth trading assets for? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

How does one sell them when they are either injured or not ready to play till after the deadline?

Let me ask you something would you trade for someone with a busted ankle or someone who has been sick and not playing for another 2 weeks. Do you think that would be worth trading assets for? 

Pearson is a good fit in TO e.g., so I would think he could just pass whatever physical exam they wanted prior to a trade. He wasn't out with covid so thats not a concern with him.

As for the rest, I would imagine nothing will happen. Maybe Benn? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Pearson is a good fit in TO e.g., so I would think he could just pass whatever physical exam they wanted prior to a trade. He wasn't out with covid so thats not a concern with him.

As for the rest, I would imagine nothing will happen. Maybe Benn? 

I don’t think anyone is movable at this point. Maybe Benn. But even Pearson was listed at 4 weeks Minimum. He isn’t going to help another team at this point. 

On 4/7/2021 at 12:58 AM, canuktravella said:

ya hes not worth 3 mill and id take a 3rd or 4th for him  hes not worth keeping when we will need money to resign hoglander  in 2024 

But why would teams give that up if he isn’t that good?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think anyone is movable at this point. Maybe Benn. But even Pearson was listed at 4 weeks Minimum. He isn’t going to help another team at this point. 

he should be very close to returning tho. I also don't think a trade is likely, but I do think f we retain him we'll see him back at the next game, assuming thats in 10 days or so. 

But out of anyone, Pearson and Benn are the only guys movable. Maybe Beagle if he's really out for all of next year if a team needs LTIR.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he should be very close to returning tho. I also don't think a trade is likely, but I do think f we retain him we'll see him back at the next game, assuming thats in 10 days or so. 

But out of anyone, Pearson and Benn and the only guys movable. Maybe Beagle if he's really out for all of next year if a team needs LTIR.

We don’t know if he is or not. I’m not sold that it’s only 4 weeks. Listed as 4 week minimum could mean 6 weeks but we will see.

I know people are going to be disappointed but I don’t think anyone moves at the deadline. If something happens it will be a Dahlen type deal

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Can you explain how it should be interpreted?

Yes I made a post to a similar reply. So I’ll just copy and paced it for ya. Not a direct response to your question but here you go 

Pretty much exactly what I mean. We are close to being a playoff team. It could happen as early as next year.

But we are still building a team so that in 2-4 years we are a true contender.

JB had come out and try and settle the fan base because expectations had grown since the bubble. But some fans got pissed with the 7 years blah blah blah. But it’s not 7 years at all it’s been more like 3 or 4 since a more real rebuild started.. 

Anyways point I’m making is the GM and Owner seem to be in line on staying the course but that doesn’t necessarily mean we are saying screw the next years we can’t compete. Cause we are pretty darn close. We should be a fringe playoff team over the next couple years, may get it in, may not. But they aren’t going to sit there and pretend like they aren’t trying to win. They are still going to put the best team forward without sacrificing the future. And no signing Pearson for a couple years isn’t sacrifice the future. At this point we probably aren’t trading anyone at the deadline. They are either injured or in protocol and it’s just too close to the deadline at this point.

Talking to Pearson and his agent is smart. Yes there are other fish in the sea. But you can’t just go into free agency expecting to pick up the players you want or making dumb mock trades like the Palat one I saw on here. What makes a person think they can get Palat who has a NTC and is third in scoring forwards onTampa Bay. 

People make it sound so easy to be a GM, they think everyone and their dog would sign in Vancouver when in reality there’s options all over the league. Players have needs, families etc. It’s not as easy as oh just trade injured Pearson or oh just sign another plug for league minimum 

37 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We don’t know if he is or not. I’m not sold that it’s only 4 weeks. Listed as 4 week minimum could mean 6 weeks but we will see.

I know people are going to be disappointed but I don’t think anyone moves at the deadline. If something happens it will be a Dahlen type deal

I agree, the chance of a deal is very low. Benning does seem to have a nose for coming up with deals no one saw coming, but in this case I doubt any team is looking at us as anything but plan C.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Can you explain how it should be interpreted?

'Contender in two years' doesn't mean we can't be a good/playoff team the next couple years. Just not likely a 'favourite' or 'contender'.

Contender = favourite for the cup. See: the likes of Tampa, Vegas, Colorado, Carolina etc. Pretty much the top 6-8 teams in the league.

You don't flip a switch and go from rebuilding to contender, there's a transition period. We're exiting our rebuild and entering that transition period.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Yes, at a reduced price and a drs opinion. Being on the IR might help another team's cap?

On the flip side if players are hurt we sign them?

Edited by Chris12345