The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nolan Patrick on the move?

Of course moving forward we have a real hole in our bottom-6 center spot, especially with Beagle on LTIR and Sutter's cap situation up in the air. We have Gaudette who really hasn't excelled at center, average faceoff numbers and isn't very strong defensively. It's no surprise that we need someone who's good on faceoffs down the middle going forward.

There's some talk that Philadelphia are a bit fed up with Nolan Patrick, a former 2nd overall pick who really hasn't produced much offence at all over his career. He's been good at faceoffs though and is still only 22, but coming into an RFA season where he'll need signing, he might be had for the right price.

The question is, what would it take to acquire him? Would this be a good deal for a Virtanen-Patrick 1-for-1 swap? Philly have a lot of big names to sign this off-season anyway. I know Patrick's defence isn't great and ideally we get a PKer, but it might be worthwhile acquiring and signing Patrick to a bridge deal (say 1.5M x 2 years), slot him in at 3C and re-sign Sutter cheaply (say 1.5-2M for 1-2 years) to play as our 4th line center and top PKer. Patrick (hopefully) gives us more of an offensive 3rd line and he's still only young so you never know how good he might get, but he might be a low-risk acquisition now, especially if he's on the market...

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

his 2nd overall pedigree makes it a no-go imo, Philly would want far more, probably this years 1st from us. 

One of the news article says PHI willing to move him on the cheap.  Highest point totals are 30pts.  He's 22yr old and 6'2 and 198lbs.  Seems too early to give up on him.

But if PHI is wanting a change ... I wonder if Virtanen + 2nd would land Patrick.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

One of the news article says PHI willing to move him on the cheap.  Highest point totals are 30pts.  He's 22yr old and 6'2 and 198lbs.  Seems too early to give up on him.

But if PHI is wanting a change ... I wonder if Virtanen + 2nd would land Patrick.

I think you do that all day long. 

I'm not up on what Philly needs tho. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you do that all day long. 

I'm not up on what Philly needs tho. 

Probably D and a better G depth.  Relying on 22yr Carter Hart in net was a mistake.  He shat the bed this year.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably D and a better G depth.  Relying on 22yr Carter Hart in net was a mistake.  He shat the bed this year.

maybe something more like a bit of cap clearing for them, Partrick + Ghost for Jake and prospect/picks?

I would trade Jake + for Patrick provided we are reasonably certain his health issues are behind him.

The biggest health issue he had occurred last season in 2019-20. He ended up missing the entire campaign due to a migraine disorder. Before he was fully able to recover, the NHL season shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic

50 minutes ago, Provost said:

That would be a good pick up for sure, I think his age and draft status make him more expensive to acquire.

Something like:
Virtanen or Gaudette
DiPietro
2nd 

For
Patrick
Low level prospect

I would never give up 3 players for Patrick..

1. 71 Gp - 30 points

2. 72 Gp - 31 points

3  Missed season

4. GP 37 -- 7 points

Sorry take risk Virtanen for Patrick.. .. No extra players...

Dipietro  has a bright future...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

his 2nd overall pedigree makes it a no-go imo, Philly would want far more, probably this years 1st from us. 

Pedigree means nothing, Virtanen was a 6th overall pick but he's inconsistent (though at least he's healthy enough to stay in the lineup; not sure the same can always be said about Patrick).  If Philly isn't too tight for cap moving forward (Patrick's an RFA just finishing his ELC, Virtanen's signed for $2.55 million) I wonder if a straight-across deal would work?  Their scoring rates are around the same and injury concerns again can bog down any perceived value for Patrick (and I'm sure that Philly fans would want more toughness and skill, e.g. a PF in Virtanen that they can reclaim?).

At least I don't see a substantial add, maybe a 4th?  No doubt the sheen has worn off on the kid.  

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Pedigree means nothing, Virtanen was a 6th overall pick but he's inconsistent (though at least he's healthy enough to stay in the lineup; not sure the same can always be said about Patrick).  If Philly isn't too tight for cap moving forward (Patrick's an RFA just finishing his ELC, Virtanen's signed for $2.55 million) I wonder if a straight-across deal would work?  Their scoring rates are around the same and injury concerns again can bog down any perceived value for Patrick (and I'm sure that Philly fans would want more toughness and skill, e.g. a PF in Virtanen that they can reclaim?).

At least I don't see a substantial add, maybe a 4th?  No doubt the sheen has worn off on the kid.  

sure you do that deal every time, but I just don't see it. No GM wants to low sell their 2nd oa. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure you do that deal every time, but I just don't see it. No GM wants to low sell their 2nd oa. 

If it's a hockey trade that helps then they would (e.g. the Jets dumped Laine for PLD, slumping high pick for PLD's attitude problems).  Not saying either JV or NP are that caliber but don't be surprised if these repurposing moves take place esp. in a cap world where teams swap problems to see if either can get some value.

(didn't want to waste a double post)
@Jimmy McGill

the Jets upgraded with that deal. 

Maybe some combo of Jake + Juolevi and we take Ghost back, Maybe that I could see where there's some value to Philly spread around. 

That's after the fact.  At the time of the trade both guys were sold low (Laine's attitude for PLD's lack of effort).  Of course this trade could come back and bite us in the butt if Virtanen blossoms OR Patrick stays healthy and becomes a stud.  No one will know until it happens, but asset wise it should be a fair trade (also we don't need Ghost, esp. if it costs Juolevi also PLUS we have Rathbone).

Anyhow, to each their own opinion.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Phil_314 said:

If it's a hockey trade that helps then they would (e.g. the Jets dumped Laine for PLD, slumping high pick for PLD's attitude problems).  Not saying either JV or NP are that caliber but don't be surprised if these repurposing moves take place esp. in a cap world where teams swap problems to see if either can get some value.

the Jets upgraded with that deal. 

Maybe some combo of Jake + Juolevi and we take Ghost back, Maybe that I could see where there's some value to Philly spread around. 

42 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

(didn't want to waste a double post)
@Jimmy McGill

That's after the fact.  At the time of the trade both guys were sold low (Laine's attitude for PLD's lack of effort).  Of course this trade could come back and bite us in the butt if Virtanen blossoms OR Patrick stays healthy and becomes a stud.  No one will know until it happens, but asset wise it should be a fair trade (also we don't need Ghost, esp. if it costs Juolevi also PLUS we have Rathbone).

Anyhow, to each their own opinion.

just looking at cap friendly, I forgot that this was Hextall's pick not Fletcher.... so it would be one GM cleaning up another one's mistake. So maybe that could lover the bar in terms of the return. 

Any deal involving JV for Patrick with the throw'ins being more or less a wash would be a huge win for us in my view.   Patrick is young,  not even scratched the surface of his potential and plays an important position where we have few young high-end prospects ready to step in.  Which basically supports the argument we'd never get him lol....

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/

“Our guys aren’t keen on him,” said the scout of another team slated to pick in the top ten. “I would be really surprised if we took Nolan Patrick. Unless it’s a no brainer.  If we’re at 4 or 5…then you’ve gotta do it.  “If (club management) hear a peep on a player we’re not taking him…and they’ve heard some things that concern them.”

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're that team given Benning's emphasis on character and the fact that we supposedly had Petey at #3 on our board.  The injuries have become more problematic, and he doesn't have the work ethic needed to overcome them.  I'd still be willing to give them Virtanen as a cap dump, but I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick ends up being the worst 2OA pick since Dave Chyzowski.