The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

6 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I personally thing that we just need guys that play the right way big boy Gaudette wasn't much help in the playoffs last year....we can keep talking about Tofolli but Ill take Brock for number one RW...toffoli and Brock do the same thing only prob would be tofolli we be older when this team gets rolling in afew years....iam curious how Lind and Pod work out honestly...so poo poo on "Gaud" for now...

Gaudette is still young, sure he wasn't that good in the playoffs but he had a solid regular season. Plus becoming good in the playoffs is a growth process. Look at Evgeny Kuznetsov, he went from having 2 points in 12 games to being nearly PPG player (if you could his entire playoff performance since then). 

Also regarding Tofolli. It wouldn't have been a bad idea if Boeser, Toffoli, and Gaudette as your right wing depth. Because we know it takes depth to win. 

The strange part is that people are making fun of Calgary for giving up on Sam Bennett yet we are saying Gaudette's performance won't hold. I think all else equal Calgary ended up at the better end of this since they actually got a respectable return.  

Edited by iinatcc

20 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I hated this trade the second I saw it and I will always hate it. Totally pointless. 

What if Gaudette continues as a tweener and Highmore becomes a solid bottom 6 forward? 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

What if Gaudette continues as a tweener and Highmore becomes a solid bottom 6 forward? 

What do you mean "continues"? He's been good in Chicago so far. It's unfair to judge a player too much until he's had a change of scenery at least once. If he keeps at this pace, he is easily a top 6 guy. Heck, I'd even give JV a chance to be an impact player if his issues permit.

Do I think either will happen? No. But it's entirely possible. Gaudette has some skills, but needs experience imo.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 6:22 PM, vannuck59 said:

Maybe on Tanev but lots of D play well into their 30s as far as Gaudette maybe a little more development was needed but to give him away for nothing was a total waste. By the way a lot of Calgary fans think Tanev is their best D man 

Because their defense is trash. It's not any better than ours.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:54 AM, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

....we can keep talking about Tofolli but Ill take Brock for number one RW...toffoli and Brock do the same thing only prob would be tofolli we be older when this team gets rolling in afew years....iam curious how Lind and Pod work out honestly...so poo poo on "Gaud" for now...

So firstly let me say I am not quoting this to respond directly to you but I have been noticing posts like these popping out through out the board. 

I se a lot of people making comments like this saying either "we don't need Toffoli" or "the team is better off without him" or "he's a redundant player". Saying a 20 to 30 goal scorer at 4 Million and 4 years and a proven winner "isn't worth it" is a bit much. But I get it, I think most of you guys are just trying to cope losing Toffoli by trying to find ways to justify why it was ok he didn't return as a Canuck.

It's a natural reaction and I don't think this has anything to do with people being Benning or Aquilini supporters, it's just a psychological way of making ourselves not feel as bad about the situation. I think I've been there also especially with this Toffoli situation. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So firstly let me say I am not quoting this to respond directly to you but I have been noticing posts like these popping out through out the board. 

I se a lot of people making comments like this saying either "we don't need Toffoli" or "the team is better off without him" or "he's a redundant player". Saying a 20 to 30 goal scorer at 4 Million and 4 years and a proven winner "isn't worth it" is a bit much. But I get it, I think most of you guys are just trying to cope losing Toffoli by trying to find ways to justify why it was ok he didn't return as a Canuck.

It's a natural reaction and I don't think this has anything to do with people being Benning or Aquilini supporters, it's just a psychological way of making ourselves not feel as bad about the situation. I think I've been there also especially with this Toffoli situation. 

I’ve called this out a lot. It’s the Benning pacifier syndrome. They suppress Benning undoings by either denying them or turning them into something else. There is nobody stupid enough to be ok with not having Toffoli. That’s blatant BPS. 

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve called this out a lot. It’s the Benning pacifier syndrome. They suppress Benning undoings by either denying them or turning them into something else. There is nobody stupid enough to be ok with not having Toffoli. That’s blatant BPS. 

Ok...are we saying it will just give us the warm fuzzies to have a another guy who can put a few goals in or is it better to address the real problem not enough good defensemen and complete in a proper way instead of getting shelled and hoping for the PP to steal....I think we could dress six toffolis and not come close to the big playoff dogs

Edited by Westcoastcanucks777

1 hour ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Ok...are we saying it will just give us the warm fuzzies to have a another guy who can put a few goals in or is it better to address the real problem not enough good defensemen and complete in a proper way instead of getting shelled and hoping for the PP to steal....I think we could dress six toffolis and not come close to the big playoff dogs

So in the current roster would you rather have Toffoli or Roussel in the team?

Both are forwards basically the same position.

Getting Toffoli isn't and shouldn't keep the team from getting a good defense man. 

The Hawks having Patrick Sharp and Patrick Kane and Hossa didn't prevent them from having Seabrook and Keith.

The Bolts having all those crazy forwards didn't prevent them from a very good d-core with the likes of Hedman, Shattenkirk, and McDonagh 

Edited by iinatcc

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So in the current roster would you rather have Toffoli or Roussel in the team?

Both are forwards basically the same position.

Getting Toffoli isn't and shouldn't keep the team from getting a good defense man. 

The Hawks having Patrick Sharp and Patrick Kane didn't prevent them from having Seabrook and Keith.

The Bolts having all those crazy forwards didn't prevent them from a very good d-core with the likes of Hedman, Shattenkirk, and McDonagh 

Those teams weren't wasting $22.4M on Eriksson, Myers, Sutter, Roussel, and Beagle, and another $3.3M on Baertschi and a Spooner buyout. That's $25.7 M on below-average to AHL players. Even with just 2/3 of that money, we could have easily retained Toffoli and Tanev, and likely added more talent in free agency. Not to mention being able to sign Boeser to something longer-term, which would have been ideal (but not possible due to the cap situation).

The team is losing talent because of Benning's terrible signings, plain and simple. And it's not hindsight either, almost everyone in the media identified those signings as foolish on day 1. It's atrocious team management.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 4

16 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Those teams weren't wasting $22.4M on Eriksson, Myers, Sutter, Roussel, and Beagle, and another $3.3M on Baertschi and a Spooner buyout. That's $25.7 M on below-average to AHL players.

referring to guys like Myers, Sutter, etc as 'below average to AHL players" doesn't help make your point.

Calling them overpaid - or trying oo make that case is reasonable enough - but "below average to AHL" is not.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Those teams weren't wasting $22.4M on Eriksson, Myers, Sutter, Roussel, and Beagle, and another $3.3M on Baertschi and a Spooner buyout. That's $25.7 M on below-average to AHL players. Even with just 2/3 of that money, we could have easily retained Toffoli and Tanev, and likely added more talent in free agency. Not to mention being able to sign Boeser to something longer-term, which would have been ideal (but not possible due to the cap situation).

The team is losing talent because of Benning's terrible signings, plain and simple. And it's not hindsight either, almost everyone in the media identified those signings as foolish on day 1. It's atrocious team management.

Yeah the issue is not about chosing between Toffoli and defense. It's about asset management, something Benning hasn't done well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Textbook BPS.

The lack of flexibility to retain Toffoli had been gradually growing every time Jimbo took the pen out of is top pocket. He paid a very big price with absolutely nothing to show for. I can’t even believe this is a discussion. Look at our lineup. Seriously.  

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Textbook BPS.

The lack of flexibility to retain Toffoli had been gradually growing every time Jimbo took the pen out of is top pocket. He paid a very big price with absolutely nothing to show for. I can’t even believe this is a discussion. Look at our lineup. Seriously.  

Ok cowboy you must love the flames method spend the big cash on guys and miss the playoffs by a mile ..text book cow lover 

16 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Ok cowboy you must love the flames method spend the big cash on guys and miss the playoffs by a mile ..text book cow lover 

Right on, so I don’t love Jimbo’s contracts, I guess that makes me a flames fan. Cool man. What else do I like? What else do I believe in? 

Matthew Highmore has now played 9 games without scoring either a goal or an assist. For context, in the entire history of the Canucks franchise, these are the only forwards to have played more than 9 games for the team without registering a point:

Jimmy Vesey

Travis Boyd

Joseph Cramarossa

Mike Brown

Steve Pinizzotto

Guillaume Desbiens

Joe LaBate

So three of our current bottom six are in the bottom 8 in the all-time scoring list for this team. Considering how much we pay our bottom six, to the detriment of the top six and blueline, this is an incredible achievement.

EDIT: The only one of those listed above with more ice time than Highmore is Vesey. Highmore is more than 2mins/game ahead of Boyd and more than 3 mins ahead of everyone else.

Edited by Azzy
  • RoughGame 1