The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All these bottom waiver wire pickups

Rate this topic

Harold27k

1 hour ago, Harold27k said:

produce nothing. This team just can not score,the few top forwards tired/taxed and seems Elias is not going to be back to boost the offense

Pretty sad when Green needs to play Matthew Highmore so much when he has not scored 1 goal this yr,Jimmy Vessy is a bust and Travis Boyd not enough playing time to tell yet

The effort was there ,Holtby was great but this team just does not have enough quality forwards,thats on Benning

Habs back up 10 pts,think this was the dagger losing to the sens

They are just warm bodies to finish out the string, I don’t think we should expect much.  The hope is that one of them shows something worth having around next year.  Highmore may be a 4th liner for us.

We should get playing the kids soon to get a look at them though.

One thing that really has to be considered though is whether we should consider moving Miller to 3rd line centre permanently.  It is easier to find wingers than centres and we could end up with three solid duos.  Even as the 3rd line centre, Miller would still get high end minutes as he would play on both special teams.

Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-XX

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Roussel-Beagle-Lind

Highmore

It depends on who we can shake out of the trade market or value free agency signings... but having Miller as a possible centre is helpful and gives more possible options 

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

They are just warm bodies to finish out the string, I don’t think we should expect much.  The hope is that one of them shows something worth having around next year.  Highmore may be a 4th liner for us.

We should get playing the kids soon to get a look at them though.

One thing that really has to be considered though is whether we should consider moving Miller to 3rd line centre permanently.  It is easier to find wingers than centres and we could end up with three solid duos.  Even as the 3rd line centre, Miller would still get high end minutes as he would play on both special teams.

Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-XX

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Roussel-Beagle-Lind

Highmore

Agreed with the bolds, but I'd even be open to try something like the following

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin
Roussel - Miller - Motte (create another strong two-way line and kickstart the offense in Roussel again; alternatively Motte - Miller - Lind)
Highmore - Beagle - Lind (maybe Lind's playmaking can gel with the other two as they crash the net, and they can show Kole the ropes)

4 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed with the bolds, but I'd even be open to try something like the following

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin
Roussel - Miller - Motte (create another strong two-way line and kickstart the offense in Roussel again; alternatively Motte - Miller - Lind)
Highmore - Beagle - Lind (maybe Lind's playmaking can gel with the other two as they crash the net, and they can show Kole the ropes)

Yep, I could see it shaking out like that eventually.  I think we can find a cheap veteran winger in the offseason and start Podkolzin on the 3rd line and see how he does against lesser competition.

59 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Better having waiver wire pickups on cheap contracts that expire soon than useless overpriced vets with longer contracts doing the same thing

There's been basically no difference between guys like Boyd and Vesey and what guys like Beagle and Roussel (aside from 18-19) have been doing here for years.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is why Lind, Gadj and Rathbone need to be looked at for a few games. Half these guys aint even gonna be a nuck next year so why do we owe it to them to play ahead of guys working hard in our system. 

Exactly.

And maybe give Mac a bit more of a chance... instead of Vesey and the H's and M's.

• Thanks 1

I don’t care about this thread but I’ll use it to say satiar Shaw is the biggest weasel in the media since the late Jason botchford. Talk about a guy who rides others coat tails. Constantly uses others work and passes it off as his own. Just a greasy greasy guy. I’m surprised he’s made it up to the likes of Murphy and macintrye. He is no where close to those guys. When u look back at who they (sportsnet) have let go it’s clear that they were going for quantity over quality due to money. What a joke 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep, I could see it shaking out like that eventually.  I think we can find a cheap veteran winger in the offseason and start Podkolzin on the 3rd line and see how he does against lesser competition.

This.

I honestly don't know why our fans are so caught up on putting Podz in a top 6 role. While he was limited in ice time, he didn't exactly put up a lot of points in Russia. Now we want to drop him in the NHL and expect him to score in bunches? 

I hope it happens, but I am not confident. His playing style suits a bottom six role just fine and if/when the time comes, he can move up. In the meantime, we do have a glaring hole on the right side. If only we had more time, we could have had Toffoli there, and Jake is absolutely not the answer...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the idea of a couple, for example we had to get Boyd with Beagle out because we're struggling at center. Highmore and Vesey are a bit of nothing really, certainly didn't need Vesey when we have guys like Lind and Gadjovich who I'd much rather see.

I would have loved to see a Baertschi revenge tour but I guess that's never happening again.

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

This.

I honestly don't know why our fans are so caught up on putting Podz in a top 6 role. While he was limited in ice time, he didn't exactly put up a lot of points in Russia. Now we want to drop him in the NHL and expect him to score in bunches? 

I hope it happens, but I am not confident. His playing style suits a bottom six role just fine and if/when the time comes, he can move up. In the meantime, we do have a glaring hole on the right side. If only we had more time, we could have had Toffoli there, and Jake is absolutely not the answer...

This is a good question, THN and other scouting/prospect deals have covered this somewhat...he's buried in the KHL depth chart that's a given, but whenever he's playing with his peers in international tourneys he's excelled or showed a lot of promise.

He's got a middle six floor which is great for the team, and starting him behind Hogs is fine ... but they fully expect him to become an impact to six player once he's playing in the NHL (with a larger role and better players).    Kakko, Hughes, Lafrenniere, Patrick before them, first season(s) are more the norm with kids coming straight from the draft.     Podz ranked 20ish spots higher then Hogs did at the start of the season, right around where QHs did before he started playing for us (10).  After last years draft too.    That's way too high for a bottom six player...his game is more suited for smaller ice (as getting the puck is his best quality, will get the puck even more), elite passing and shot, and excellent skater for a big man (6'4" now).  

Some rumblings he's been punished for not signing and staying in the KHL.   That league won't pay huge bucks anymore so there for sure is zero financial motive to stay.    I felt the same way too (maybe he's just a Torres type, high pick that won't live up to the hype, would have gone 2-5 if he wasn't committed to the KHL), but not anymore.   This kid could end up being the best of the bunch, or become our Rantanen.   Nothing wrong with starting on the third line though, and splitting the 5 x 5 minutes evenly. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

This.

I honestly love the look of the third line I suggested.

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin 

That line has an identity, and our bottom six hasn’t had one in a long time.

Those three guys share the relentless puck hound, hard to play against style.  All three together would be a handful, either matching up against top lines... or feasting on lower competition.

It also naturally lets you have a primary PK unit of Motte-Miller.

You are right, boy would Toffoli have looked good in that mix... maybe someone similar will shake out of things.

Hoglander-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Roussel-Beagle-Lind

... just have to fix the 4th line and that is a forward group that could compete every year.

• Like 1

1.  If a waiver wire player doesn't have a place on the roster, he's  a no-go to pick up.  The Canucks have had injuries in the bottom 6 and not much coming from Utica.   Those who are close (Juolevi and Chatfield) are slotting in.

2.  All of the players that Benning has picked up come at less than $1M and they come on expiring contracts.  Highmore was a trade and has 1 more year left.  If, if they look like they can play for the team long term they come cheap.  No $3M contracts here.  Doesn't that make you happy?

• Upvote 1

They're all garbage. Placeholders because Benning is trying to win a couple more games to save his job, maybe. Also, Green doesn't have faith in Lind. Gadjovich and Lockwood.

Well, I don't have faith in Hawryluk, Michaelis, Boyd and Vesey.

Same old situation, they're scared to play and develop the kids in a down year and so they bring in a bunch of mediocre grunts. Fun!

Highmore reminds me of Motte, so he's okay.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1