Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Part of the problem is no one will believe the victim. Chances are this will go under reported and Virtanen will get traded or bought out and everyone will move on with their lives. 

Thats exactly why I am saying it needs to be properly investigated. Convicting Virtanen in the public sphere based on an opinion that justice cannot be served by a proper investigation is flawed logic.

 

If the victim wants to be believed, she needs to do that through the police and the court process, not through an anonymous site.

 

I understand it is extremely hard to come forward and I feel for this woman because she is now being forced to even if she isnt ready to.

 

There is zero chance it will be under reported at this point though.

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BPA said:

Perhaps the victim couldn't muster the courage to do so until now?  It was through the anonymous support group that she found it.

 

Don't be so quick to dismiss things since it took so long to come out.  Let the investigations run its course.

I didn't dismiss anything, and I am fully aware that delayed reportings to police are real and the reasons why. Doesn't change the fact that when you go to the media 3.5 years later before the police have commented themselves, that is suspicious. In no way does it invalidate the victims claims, and as you say, let's let the investigation determine what it does.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IRR said:

Search Jake Virtanen on twitter.....the reactions are disturbing to say the least sadly. 

I believe you.

I don't do other social media than this site. I searched for info last night but there wasn't much, I imagine today is a different story.

 

This will be the talk of the town for a while to come now. He is a public figure. It's been that way since the dawn of gossip, well before social media. I know there are many folks that are grumpy about even talking about it and speculating, but too bad people will still be curious. Hopefully reminding them that he's innocent till proven guilty will have some resonance. 

 

I hope the investigation by the authorities reveals the truth and justice is served. Sad situation. 

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I believe you.

I don't do other social media than this site. I searched for info last night but there wasn't much, I imagine today is a different story.

 

This will be the talk of the town for a while to come now. He is a public figure. It's been that way since the dawn of gossip, well before social media. I know there are many folks that are grumpy about even talking about it and speculating, but too bad people will still be curious. Hopefully reminding them that he's innocent till proven guilty will have some resonance. 

 

I hope the investigation by the authorities reveals the truth and justice is served. Sad situation. 

 

Well said! Probably best that you don't do other social media...it's a disaster. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CupIsComing said:

I didn't dismiss anything, and I am fully aware that delayed reportings to police are real and the reasons why. Doesn't change the fact that when you go to the media 3.5 years later before the police have commented themselves, that is suspicious. In no way does it invalidate the victims claims, and as you say, let's let the investigation determine what it does.

I'm uncertain of the timeline of how the events unfolded.  

 

She was chatting on an Anonymous Instagram account.  She filed with the Police.  The Canucks organization got wind of it on Friday.  And now on Saturday we see it on the news.

 

So how can you be so sure she went to the media first??

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I believe you.

I don't do other social media than this site. I searched for info last night but there wasn't much, I imagine today is a different story.

 

This will be the talk of the town for a while to come now. He is a public figure. It's been that way since the dawn of gossip, well before social media. I know there are many folks that are grumpy about even talking about it and speculating, but too bad people will still be curious. Hopefully reminding them that he's innocent till proven guilty will have some resonance. 

 

I hope the investigation by the authorities reveals the truth and justice is served. Sad situation. 

 

Talking about it and convicting someone in social media without knowing any facts are two different things.

 

There is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty anymore and that is sad and dangerous.

 

 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok, let's look at the facts against him:
- History of making poor decisions and not caring about others
- Canucks' statement doesn't support Jake in any way, and they place him on leave immediately. Perhaps the latter is protocol? Seems a quick decision... almost as if they know something we do not.

- Jake's twitter goes dark

- No statement denying the allegations

 

So on the surface, this really doesn't look good for him. 

BUT, innocent until proven guilty. 

I expected Jake to be off this team by the offseason, but not like this. One has to think the Canucks may use this to terminate his contract... which, if you think about it, might be really, really good for us.

Edited by kloubek
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just remember, you are innocent until proven guilty...

 

Not. 
 

Consider what is happening here an imagine if it were yourself. 
 

This info might all be true, but sometimes it’s not, which is an aside I’m making, not defending Jake. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I'm uncertain of the timeline of how the events unfolded.  

 

She was chatting on an Anonymous Instagram account.  She filed with the Police.  The Canucks organization got wind of it on Friday.  And now on Saturday we see it on the news.

 

So how can you be so sure she went to the media first??

 

I meant, and I can see I didn't write it clearly, that she gave a sit-down a media interview before the investigation was completed, regardless of reporting date. At any rate, I am not casting dispersions, simply saying when media is involved before determinations are made, usually something smells.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, I’ve heard... mostly on here... 
 

McCann had character issues.

Gawd did too.

Maybe Jake does. 
Videogame gate? 
 

JB drafts character... ? 
Not looking so good. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing about this situation is that I don't think there really is a way to investigate this properly. It's a he said/she said, and unless there's a smoking gun somewhere, nothing can be proven. That isn't to say that he's innocent, but it's hard to imagine anyone finding any evidence of guilt.

 

Regardless of all of that, his playing days in the NHL are done.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Talking about it and convicting someone in social media without knowing any facts are two different things.

 

There is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty anymore and that is sad and dangerous.

 

 

Anyone doing that is an idiot. 

 

Talking about it is fine.

 

I believe that innocent until proven guilty is still a thing. It's why we have authorities and legal systems. But I understand, you mean in the court of public opinion.

Hopefully as they say ' the truth shall set you free' . Wishing for the best for all parties involved in this tough accusation. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see this thread, and any other similar ones, locked until further statements comes out, from the involved parties.

speculation can ruin lives.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ok, let's look at the facts against him:
- History of making poor decisions and not caring about others
- Canucks' statement doesn't support Jake in any way, and they place him on leave immediately. Perhaps the latter is protocol? Seems a quick decision... almost as if they know something we do not.

- Jake's twitter goes dark

- No statement denying the allegations

 

So on the surface, this really doesn't look good for him. 

BUT, innocent until proven guilty. 

I expected Jake to be off this team by the offseason, but not like this...

It is possible for someone to be a total scumbag and still be innocent of these accusations. They arent mutually exclusive. Thats what police investigations are for.

 

The teams move and statement is standing operating procedure of most companies. The last thing they want to do is publicly take a stance supporting or vilifying the player. Their approach is in no way an admission they know he is guilty. 

 

Jake shutting down his twitter is also not an indication of guilt. Maybe he just doesnt want to get inundated with the $&!#storm of vitriol he is going to receive from people who arent willing to accept someone is innocent until proven guilty.

 

He is probably being advised by his lawyer not to say anything. Again, pretty standard course of action.

 

Honestly, there is nothing in what you said that proves anything either way at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...