The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Find a number 2 D to pair with Hughes

Rate this topic

fanfor42

6 minutes ago, The King said:

On this board, I'll take it, usually people flame away, but if you break it down it makes total sense. We need a legit #1 RD to play Hard minutes along side Hughes, and Larson is a stud, not flashy, just super sound. Granlund fills the need to make our second line much better, and creates winger depth. Cireli is the perfect fit for us moving forward, and stabalizes a line with two very good young players in Hoglander and Podkolzin.

My hesitation is a potential overpay for Granland who I’m not as high on as you. I’m sure sheltering Pods and Hog is wise in the long run so securing someone with a pedigree similar to Granland is important. That top six needs to be a bit more bullet proof.

38 minutes ago, The King said:

That guy is Adam Larson, and if they resign Hamonic he could be that guy to play on the right side, alongside Rathbone who will be our second LD, and bring Edler back at 3.25 million per year times 2 years, and you have a very competent third pair with Edler and Myers. Where is Schmidt you ask, well he gets moved with along with our 2021 2nd rounder, plus Ferland's LTIR, and Beagles LTIR cap helping contracts to Tampa Bay for Anthony Cireli. Your welcome JB, as I just did your job for ya. Oh ya, you'll need to package up a sweetner to move Eriksson and that will have to be Motte (I hate losing this guy), but he can't stay healthy and that's what a team will want to relieve us of Eriksson final year of 6 million. Our second big UFA acquisition should be Mikael Granlund (this guy still can be 55-60 point second liner).

New look lines:

Miller- Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson - Horvat- Granlund

Hoglander - Cireli- Podkolzin

Gadovich- Lind- MacEwen

Hughes- Larson

Rathbone- Hamonic

Edler- Myers

Mic Drop, and we make the playoffs without a doubt, and it's all under the cap.

Cheers,

Tampa has no cap and yet, they take on Schmidt's salary, which is larger than Cireli's let alone the LTIRs?

And Cireli is too valuable to the TB. I'm pretty sure TB values Cirelli over Schmidt.

It doesn't seem like you did your homework.

JB says, "no thanks."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks need a true #1 all around dman tbh. A big RH guy who can play at both ends of the ice at an elite level would allow Hughes to play his game.

Without significant improvement Hughes isnt a #1 guy.

Those guys are unicorns though, and when they're available they get paid like Petro. Every team wants that slam dunk #1D, but realistically there are probably fewer than 15-20 of those guys in the league. You get guys who play that #1D role like Edler did for years, and then you've got legit #1D. 

Even Petro going to market was an anomaly, typically the only way to acquires those guys is to draft em. Team don't let em go. Nucks are going to need to be strong as a defensive group going forward, probably 2D-5D kind of players, that's the most realistic approach. And then we hope Juolevi or Rathbone can become something legit as Hughes continues to build on his game. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

I am of the opinion that more than anything we need to play Rathbone in all situations until the end of the season

IMO, we need to know that answer, more than anything

As he is just a rookie with 1 game on his belt, he is an unknown in NHL terms

But, he has shown the ability to play as a Solid #1 in the minors and NCAA

So, again we need to find that out.............asap

Why, because there is the possibility of him being a #1 or #2 down the road

I keep thinking of Doug Lidster, who came from the college route, and had less notoriety than Rathbone

and carved out a solid career here in Vancouver.........personally, I believe in him

But he needs to prove it in real time. As first games go....it was in the right direction!

If he turns out to be as advertised, than we have more options..............

I know this is a around about way of answering the question, but it has implications to the posters thread.

Imagine a ............top 6 of..........

Rathbone Schmidt

Edler Hughes

Juolevi Myers

Option #2 is to move Myers + a 2022 1st (top 5 protected) for a #2 Defensive Dman

I don't like that option, but it is one way to move cap, so we can replace it with a younger, as expensive Dman

Option #3 is to move Hughes and sign Hamilton

Option #4 is more Long term, but move up and take RHD Clarke

It is my opinion that we chase second string UFA's all the time, never getting a difference maker, which is what Hamilton is...............

I would much rather spend 8 Million on Hamilton, than 3.5 million on Ferland and 6 million on Eriksson

You could put Roussel in that conversation as well.............maybe even Sutter's 4.3 million.......just saying!

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am of the opinion that more than anything we need to play Rathbone in all situations until the end of the season

Why, because there is the possibility of him being a #1 or #2 down the road

I keep thinking of Doug Lidster, who came from the college route, and had less notoriety than Rathbone

and carved out a solid career here in Vancouver.........personally, I believe in him

But he needs to prove it in real time. As first games go....it was in the right direction!

If he turns out to be as advertised, than we have more options..............

I know this is a around about way of answering the question, but it has implications to the posters thread.

Imagine a ............top 6 of..........

Rathbone Schmidt

Edler Hughes

Juolevi Myers

Option #2 is to move Myers + a 2022 1st (top 5 protected) for a #2 Defensive Dman

I don't like that option, but it is one way to move cap, so we can replace it with a younger, as expensive Dman

Option #3 is to move Hughes and sign Hamilton

Option #4 is more Long term, but move up and take RHD Clarke

It is my opinion that we chase second string UFA's all the time, never getting a difference maker, which is what Hamilton is...............

I would much rather spend 8 Million on Hamilton, than 3.5 million on Ferland and 6 million on Eriksson

You could put Roussel in that conversation as well.............maybe even Sutter's 4.3 million.......just saying!

i like option# 6 trade myers/schmidt

say buh bye to eddie

sign hamilton

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Well yeah! I mean there are alot of options, isn't there?

true story, i like a lot of your options.

mine is basically a combination of 3 of yours

option 1, 2 and 3.except we trade myers/schmidt for picks and keep young cocky

• Cheers 1

David Savard will be a free agent this summer.  He would the ultimate defense partner for Quinn, wouldn't cost any assets BUT we know about the cap situation.  Basically anything over 4 million/year and he'd be out of our range.  

I really don't mind Travis Hamonic as Hughes' partner though.  Hamonic had a tough start to the season with his health, then there were the crazy road trips where there was no practices, just game after game...  and then Covid hit.  I think that next year those two will figure it out and have a strong season.  

39 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jan, I'm a huge Rathbone fan but there's no need to rush him.  I mean are we in a rush to find some holes in his game?  We should let him take his time and adapt to the professional game.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect him on the PP or PK given the fact that he would have to practice with the special teams and...  well I would be surprised if we have more then 1 practice in the remaining 10 games. 

True number ones, as previously stated, are almost unicorns and extremely hard to come by. I personally like how Carolina has developed their defensive core, with 5 really solid top 4 guys who don’t necessarily play a fancy game yet are solid and stable. With proper structure and a real system unlike the one Baumer wants them to play I feel our guys are capable of much better hockey and could vastly improve next season under a different coach. That being said, Quinn definitely needs that Tanev like partner and I don’t think we have anybody aside from Hamonic who can maybe fill that void. Also, as good as Hughes is, he’s being asked to do too much too soon in his career and is dearly paying for it without the puck as his defensive game is in shambles and he looks like his confidence is shattering because of it. Hopefully he rebounds next season. 

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks need a true #1 all around dman tbh. A big RH guy who can play at both ends of the ice at an elite level would allow Hughes to play his game.

Without significant improvement Hughes isnt a #1 guy.

Canucks need a guy like a Seabrook in Chicago when he was younger.. 

6'3 220lbs RH D. Big body can skate and pass.. he was perfect compliment to Duncan Keith..

I'd like for us to play Rafferty in 5 of the remaining games to see just what we have. He's a UFA at the end of this season and the question will be whether to resign him or just let him walk. He's played all of 3 NHL games. But was an AHL all-star last year.  His one game this year (Jan 21, vs Montreal - a 7 -3 loss that saw 2 MTL shorties) he was on the ice for 3 goals against (one of them one of the shorthanded goals)  and one for, so was -1 on the night.  Hasn't played since.  His partner that night was Schmidt, on the ice for 4 goals against, and a -3 (one against was a MTL powerplay goal, doesn't count in the +/- stats).  Unfairly, I think, Rafferty was made the scapegoat for that loss

• Cheers 1

Would be nice to take advantage of the e.d. and bring in a future partner for him  - like Cal Foote.

Might not be ready to anchor that pairing - but that's fine. 

Keep Hamonic or comparable around to placehold until he is.

The focus imo should be on two years from now in any event - this young group is still too young to contend without a great deal of 'foundation'...covid cap stall, LE, Luongo, the expansion draft - not conducive to continuity from last year until their window imo.

Regardless, Timmins is another young RHD I'd love to poach - comes a point at which it's probably 'too late' / post-emergence - but perhaps the e.d. shakeup will provide another JT Miller type opportunity.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned if that player is 'ready' for that role yet.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Canucks need a guy like a Seabrook in Chicago when he was younger.. 

6'3 220lbs RH D. Big body can skate and pass.. he was perfect compliment to Duncan Keith..

Sounds an awful lot like David Savard. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm hoping we draft him (Clarke?) this draft. 

Until then, Hamonic is a more than capable, 2nd pair level, interim guy. I hope we bring him back.

Beyond that, you're likely looking at trading (packaging) one of Rathbone or Juolevi + for an upgrade on Hamonic with the ED as the potential pressure point to get that done.

Edited by aGENT