The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to bring back a pure enforcer to the Canucks line up

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Should the NHL bring back the pure enforcer   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The biggest argument against the pure enforcer other then it is something being taken out of the game is that there is no longer a spot for one. That all 12 forwards need to know how to play the game. I say BS the league is so diluted and with 32nd team coming in it is going to be even worse that most teams other then 3-4 have a wasted spot in the line up anyways. That 12th forward often plays 6-8 mins this is due to the fact they do not play PK or PP or the bench is shorted well behind, tied or holding a 1 goal lead (which often happens in the NHL.)

So the question must be asked why not bring the pure enforcer back to the game and at the same time the integrity and un-writen code back as well.

I think the Canucks should lead the way. They have a talented core but lack the toughest to not get pushed around.

We can all agree we have a lot of warm bodies on our bottom 6 group that do very little so it couldn't hurt to bring in someone to actually scare the opposition.

I do understand that there might be a flaw in this somewhere. One that I can think of is who that player might be or where they would find a player like that.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what are you going to do? 

Give up Petey and Hughes to get Brady Tkachuk? 

No I mean pure enforcer, maybe Johan Gadjovich he's already in the Canucks organization. He might not be big enough though

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We aren't remotely deep enough at any position to afford the luxory of carrying a guy who is only good at fighting.

That's the reason we need one we do not have the depth so let's play the game differently. Let's scare the opposition. Our depth players suck they play no role. At least with a enforcer position he knows his role

• Cheers 2

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

We don't need an enforcer as a position in the roster.

We need the team to stop thinking games are going to be reffed fairly and that everyone will get a fair shake on the ice or in front of the DoP(e)S.  Everyone should be willing to get their hands dirty, everyone should be willing to step up to protect each other.  No more of this kumbaya/turn the other cheek bull$&!#.

I'm not saying the team should spear, hook, cross-check, elbow, and board every opponent in the dirtiest way possible - they should still play within the spirit of fair play and gentlemanly conduct between the whistles, but they should also be prepared to drop the gloves and stand for one another if someone decides to take liberties on their teammates, instead of standing around holding their jockstrap hoping a ref will call something (because more often then not, the refs won't unless it's to do with "game management").

That's not going to happen Hughes, Pettersson aren't going to drop the gloves and neither are most players on this team or on most teams

Meh.

Fundamentally disagree with what I think is a bad take regarding teams having '3 or 4 wasted spots in the lineup anyway'.

Fourth lines have never been better.

There has never been such a deep, worldwide pool of talent with which to build rosters.

And 'bottom six' players are the most cost effective way of improving a lineup imo - depth matters - a lot - and there are very few, if any, teams that play their depth players only 6 or 8 minutes a night.  When that happens it tends to be when teams face a considerable amount of injuries and have players that aren't as 'trusted'/effective called up into those depth spots.

Rolling four lines is more and more vital - and it also makes the hockey more entertaining/up tempo - the quality of players at the 'bottom' of lineups has considerably improved the on ice product, over those times when fourth lines actually were 5 minute crash and bangers who weren't particularly good/talented hockey players.   I'll take Beagle and Motte types - true, dedicated shutdown units - (or a talented 'kid' line/secondary scoring depth line when the top 6 is veteran/in their prime) - over the traditional 4th line, anyday

The dedicated 'enforcer' is a thing of the past.  Period.  Thankfully.  And should remain so.

Would love to have more toughness - that can play - love having guys like Kassian, Dorsett, Gudbranson in the lineup - to answer in kind any attempts to push this team around - but at the same time, toughness that can play, effectively is not easy to find, acquire.  Teams, whether you like it or not - need 'team' toughness / 'pack' mentality. 

Hopefully the team can add a player that makes opponent fear consequences - but it's not a priority - and hopefully that player does so in a way that commands respect (imo guys like Dorsett - who wasn't an 'enforcer' by any stretch, but was certainly toughness that could play, who got in opponents faces - and Gudbranson - were guys that did not wear a "penalize me at any opportunity" badge on their jersey - as guys like Roussel, unfortunately do).

Perhaps Gadjovich will bring some more toughness if he's able to stick.

I'm also game for guys like Myers taking the odd liberty - one of my favorite penalties of the season was a punch he threw in the face of Ketchup...

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Yeah not a pure enforcer, when the team has enough regulars who would fight when needed (Horvat's had fights, as has Miller, Nate Schmidt (2 NHL fights), Vesey, Myers, Hamonic, MacEwen, Roussel, Beagle when healthy, and I'm sure some of the bottom-6 guys would be open to dropping the gloves).  If a line brawl were to happen I think we'd be just fine.

Wingers: Miller, Roussel, MacEwen, Gadjovich, Vesey
Centers: Beagle, Horvat, Graovac (had a couple)
D: Hamonic, Myers (maybe need to add a tough #7 D-man with Benn gone, but he'd still need to be able to play)

• Haha 1