The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Eichel wants out of Buffalo. Says there is disconnect with organization.

Nave

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Buffalo take what you can get, hopefully a first round pick and some prospects. Move on. 

Let Eichel get the surgery he wants. You've screwed this up enough already. 

Buffalo has completely messed this up. Par for the course for such a dysfunctional franchise.

But so has Eichel. He is a self entitled whiny douche that has never gotten over getting 2nd place to McDavid in the draft.

It’s amazing to me that most of the problem players in the NHL are American born. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Buffalo has completely messed this up. Par for the course for such a dysfunctional franchise.

But so has Eichel. He is a self entitled whiny douche that has never gotten over getting 2nd place to McDavid in the draft.

It’s amazing to me that most of the problem players in the NHL are American born. 

Let me get this straight: You are calling someone else a douche when you have no effing clue what they are dealing with and ALSO blaming American born players for the league's issues? I guess the names Jake Virtanen, Zack Kassian and Evgeni Kuznetsov mean nothing eh? Oh wait, those guys were just involved with potential criminal activities and not looking out for their own well-being like Eichel. GTFOH dude! <_< I would love for you to meet the American born Canucks players and explain your theory to them, but you would not because you are comfortable talking sh!t from the light of your computer monitor or phone. I bet you are on Canucks Twitter espousing your "accepting" views too. And remember that when you cheer Demko for a sick save, Millsy for a huge faceoff win or Huggy for a sweet PP goal, they are American born and according to you "part of the problem." 

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Let me get this straight: You are calling someone else a douche when you have no effing clue what they are dealing with and ALSO blaming American born players for the league's issues? I guess the names Jake Virtanen, Zack Kassian and Evgeni Kuznetsov mean nothing eh? Oh wait, those guys were just involved with potential criminal activities and not looking out for their own well-being like Eichel. GTFOH dude! <_< I would love for you to meet the American born Canucks players and explain your theory to them, but you would not because you are comfortable talking sh!t from the light of your computer monitor or phone. I bet you are on Canucks Twitter espousing your "accepting" views too. And remember that when you cheer Demko for a sick save, Millsy for a huge faceoff win or Huggy for a sweet PP goal, they are American born and according to you "part of the problem." 

When did I say every American player is a problem player?

If you look at a lot of the contract dispute, demand trade, etc type players, a majority of them seem to be American. That doesn’t mean every problem player is or that all American players are, two things I never said.

Eichel’s reaction in this situation is not the only reason I think he is a douche. He has been one since the day he was drafted and has put himself above his team ever since. 

He should be able to have whatever surgery he wants to. On a medical level it’s the Sabres who are being douches. But unfortunately for him, the relationship between a player and a team doesn’t work that way. He was happy to take the big contract and with that comes the Sabres having certain rights in his medical decisions. Not saying that’s fair, it’s just reality.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I say every American player is a problem player?

If you look at a lot of the contract dispute, demand trade, etc type players, a majority of them seem to be American. That doesn’t mean every problem player is or that all American players are, two things I never said.

There was insinuation at the end of your comment to the matter. Personally I could give a F about a player's nationality as long as they are a decent person. Calling Eichel a douche simply because he is looking out for his long-term health is in itself, douchey. You also have to look at the organization and their history of mistreating players. Ryan O'Reilly has been considered a class act around the league for years and his experience there was less than ideal. Sometimes it helps to put ourselves in other's shoes to see it from a different perspective.

Case in point: Nate Schmidt did not like his time in VAN, but reports out of the PEG are he is playing at a high level and loves his new team. Does that make him a douche? Now if you want to talk about guys like Brad Marchand or Duncan Keith being douches I have all day to talk about that lol. 

2 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

There was insinuation at the end of your comment to the matter. Personally I could give a F about a player's nationality as long as they are a decent person. Calling Eichel a douche simply because he is looking out for his long-term health is in itself, douchey. You also have to look at the organization and their history of mistreating players. Ryan O'Reilly has been considered a class act around the league for years and his experience there was less than ideal. Sometimes it helps to put ourselves in other's shoes to see it from a different perspective.

Case in point: Nate Schmidt did not like his time in VAN, but reports out of the PEG are he is playing at a high level and loves his new team. Does that make him a douche? Now if you want to talk about guys like Brad Marchand or Duncan Keith being douches I have all day to talk about that lol. 

If I said “most of the American players are problem players” then I see your point. But I clearly said “most of the problem players are American.” That’s a very different “insinuation”.

Again, I am not calling him a douche because he wants to handle his medical decisions. I am calling him a douche because he has been one since before he was even drafted and has only been a bigger one since coming to the NHL.

Buffalo is easily the worst managed and run team in the NHL. There is more than enough douchebaggery to go around to all sides in this situation.

Guy demands a trade then hamstrings the team from actually doing it by not honouring what is clearly in his contract. Namely that Buffalo has certain rights when it comes to medical decisions for players under contract. The Buffalo ownership and management are equally to blame for making a bad situation much worse than it needed to be.

Clearly other interested teams are also concerned about the procedure he wants or a deal would already be done.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If I said “most of the American players are problem players” then I see your point. But I clearly said “most of the problem players are American.” That’s a very different “insinuation”.

Again, I am not calling him a douche because he wants to handle his medical decisions. I am calling him a douche because he has been one since before he was even drafted and has only been a bigger one since coming to the NHL.

Buffalo is easily the worst managed and run team in the NHL. There is more than enough douchebaggery to go around to all sides in this situation.

Guy demands a trade then hamstrings the team from actually doing it by not honouring what is clearly in his contract. Namely that Buffalo has certain rights when it comes to medical decisions for players under contract. The Buffalo ownership and management are equally to blame for making a bad situation much worse than it needed to be.

Clearly other interested teams are also concerned about the procedure he wants or a deal would already be done.

Buffalo initially refused to share his medical files.  How can a team trade for him without that critical piece of information.

Buffalo deciding on his surgery is wrong - even if it's correct by the CBA.  It's not normal for a team to decide on such an essential surgery that can have life altering consequences.  It's also doctors paid by the team making that determination - there's a conflict of interest.  They are looking at his playing career / trade value while he has to look at his long term health / quality of life past his hockey career.  The NHLPA is more than likely to address that article in the next CBA negotiations - they failed the players by allowing that rule.

51 minutes ago, mll said:

Buffalo initially refused to share his medical files.  How can a team trade for him without that critical piece of information.

Buffalo deciding on his surgery is wrong - even if it's correct by the CBA.  It's not normal for a team to decide on such an essential surgery that can have life altering consequences.  It's also doctors paid by the team making that determination - there's a conflict of interest.  They are looking at his playing career / trade value while he has to look at his long term health / quality of life past his hockey career.  The NHLPA is more than likely to address that article in the next CBA negotiations - they failed the players by allowing that rule.

On the other hand he is perfectly allowed to go ahead and get the surgery without their permission.  They have zero legal recourse to stop him.  There are no contracts that can countervene codified basic human rights… there is an order of precedence that gets followed when interpreting/enforcing them.

He just risks causing a material breach of his contract.  It is mildly conceivable but highly improbable that they could go after him for damages above and beyond terminating his contract but no way they could win that, and almost certainly no way the PA and League would support the team on it as the optics would be so terrible.

The remedy for a material beach of contract would be them terminating his contract and not paying him.  If they terminated his contract he would presumably become a UFA… so they would have to think long and hard about that.

Buffalo has screwed this up and probably severely damaged their ability to attract/sign players going forward… but Eichel is a big boy with good representatives, he can make a big boy choice if he is fine accepting the consequences.

Edited by Provost

I landed on Eichel's side in this when it was revealed that for the longest time Buffalo had a really high asking price but would not disclose his medical situation to the teams inquiring. That's sleazy caf salesman crap, trying to sell you a luxury car for sticker price but not letting a mechanic look under the hood.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair points and at least we can agree Buffalo is a gong show lol. 

If, (Big IF) I was a GM and was looking at acquiring Eichel, I'd base it around one key player / prospect that I could afford to part with, and then conditional draft picks, that are based around how many games and how effective Eichel is after the surgery. If the surgery goes bad, and he can no longer play, then I would ask for Buffalo to put a 1st round pick on the table as compensation for the player being sent, only to be given if Eichel can't continue playing.

I don't really understand why Eichel doesn't just ahead and do the surgery. What exactly could Buffalo do, terminate his contract? I mean that would be to Eichel's benefit anyways since then he can sign anywhere he wants and I'm confident he'd get offered at least the same amount of money on his new contract.

Edited by AK_19

2 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I don't really understand why Eichel doesn't just ahead and do the surgery. What exactly could Buffalo do, terminate his contract? I mean that would be to Eichel's benefit anyways since then he can sign anywhere he wants and I'm confident he'd get offered at least the same amount of money on his new contract.

Doubt he'd want to lose out on that money when his career is in jeopardy due to health issues.