The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

34 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I assume they will re sign him as well, but you never know.  They are in a phase where a tear down may be the right call.  They have a pretty barren prospect pool as well.  A guy like him would completely change the look of our team. 

Schmidt

2022 1st

Any 2  prospects not named Rathone or Podkolzin

Make it happen JB!

He expires in one year.

That's too much imo - with the risk of a one-year rental hanging over it.

And he's also 28 yrs old - will expire 29....meaning you have to re-up that. 

I'm not keen on targetting players at that stage - even in free agency - it's going to cost a whole lot and run into their mid 30s, high decline risk years....

I'd prefer they retain Schmidt, keep the two prospects and if they're going to deal a first, make it for a younger RHD more in line with the team's trajectory.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing....I don't go to games to watch only the results and check the standings and those I know who do attend are of the similar mind.   If I'm entertained, even when we lose, it's a fun time for me.  It's an event - I meet friends, see people at the rink who I've come to know, etc.   People take different things away from it and none are "right" or "wrong".

It doesn't matter WHY fans stay, you were suggesting they aren't (sticking around), but it isn't true.  

You look at where we finished but there's a bigger picture too.  Who's in the line up?  Are they giving us reason to be excited?  What's the storyline?  The Sedins closing out their careers was a memorable year for me as I watched that wind down.

This market CAN tolerate losing because we've been here before and experience tells us "it's not all bad".  It's pretty tough to win a cup and some of us understand that.

I'm on the fence in Benninggate.  I'm ok either way.   My "job" in all of this is to cheer my team on and if that gets painful, I'll stop.  (No I won't).  Sports has been in my life since I was a child and it gives me great pleasure.  Even losing becomes ok over time because it's simply part of the deal.  It won't last forever.

For me it's "losing the right way".

A team phoning it in (like the Oilers in McDavid and prior years) is not even fun to watch. They just suck. BUT, a team that loses a lot, but is 'always in it' because they are doing the right things generates excitement.

Our worst games in the past few years were when guys weren't doing "anything" to generate the game. It's like one or two (usually Hoglander) wanted to be there and everybody else couldn't be bothered for a few days. It isn't fun watching that kind of tire fire. Watching vets get ice they don't deserve, doing nothing but skate a lap and go sit down.

I'm hoping the team engages with the body more in the next couple years. No more Gandhi hockey... not saying run guys or get out of position like Byfuglien trying to make just huge hits... but rub-outs on the boards, contact 'when possible' on the forecheck. TRY to generate offense from your defence - tire the other team out through the (clean!) battering they will endure. Make teams not want to play in your building, make them take retaliatory penalties from frustration from the clean hits. It also forces 'your team' to remain engaged in the game. It's 'neat' how making a hit gets you into a game. If you recall the good ole days with the WCE, and if Bertuzzi got a chance to level a guy early in the game (or if someone got him) he was just going to wake up and take over. It's not an isolated phenomenon.

Obviously a guy like Hughes isn't going to hit like MacEwan. But what's to stop him from really learning how to throw his hips out there like Hamhuis did? Use what ya got, get better as a group and play hard. That's how you win and lose at hockey the 'right way' imo. Support teammates, generate offence from defence and recognize that it's a whole lot harder for the other team to score when you have the puck 160+ feet from your net.

And the more the team plays that way, the more they will find they win, and they'll always be exciting.

• Cheers 2

JB's following up on 650 now...damn my boss.  I'm off work but he called RIGHT as it started.

Is talking about the Sedins and how they could help in Abbotsford, etc. - said they "like to work" and have a lot that they can contribute with.

image.png

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

JB's following up on 650 now...damn my boss.  I'm off work but he called RIGHT as it started.

Is talking about the Sedins and how they could help in Abbotsford, etc. - said they "like to work" and have a lot that they can contribute with.

thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to listen when it's uploaded later. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Josepho said:

Do you know what also leads to fans not coming to regular season games? Spinning your wheels and playing like absolute $&!# while aimlessly trying to make the playoffs. Our attendance and merchandise revenue has sucked despite trying to make the playoffs in those years.

The team would've been better off biting the bullet on a rebuild in ~2016. Now the team is facing a massive consumer confidence issue and has continued to lose money.

This team makes millions every year (this season as an exception as every team in the NHL has lost money this season), what EVER makes you think that this team loses money?

In 2020, it made 2.9 million, even with the shortened season and lost revenue. The previous season, the Canucks made 31 million (2018 / 2019).

This team hasn't lost money in about 10 - 15 years. 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Reporter….. where can you improve? Cap allocation, communication?

Jimbo…..we’re happy that the farm team is coming to Abbotsford, that’s going to pay dividends.

lol

The reporter asked what the organization could do to improve, then gave examples of what the reporter perceived Jim could be doing poorly to try to achieve the answer they wanted. Jim gave a truthful answer to how he felt the organization was improving and didn't fall into the reporters trap. It's was a stupid way of asking the question frankly. If they would have left out the examples of things they felt the organization was doing poorly, then Jim's answer would have been totally fair. It's a crappy way to ask questions.

For example.

Silky, what do you think you change to be a better and more productive poster on CDC? Work on being less unnecessarily negative all the time? stop using acronyms when words will do?

See, that's a really annoying way to be asked a question. There was zero reason to start throwing in their 2 cents on things they perceived Jim might have been not doing well. That's just a reporter fishing for what they have already decided, not asking an objective question.

Honestly most of the questions reporters ask are just irritating. I for one am glad both Jim and Green are transparent, say what they mean, and don't play games with some of the rediculous reporters we have in Vancouver.

Edited by shayster007
  • Vintage 1

• -DLC- changed the title to Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)
57 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Rathbone mentioned but not OJ. I would hope this team hasn’t given up on him yet. I don’t believe he’s been given a big enough sample size. Interesting his name wasn’t dropped with the rest of the youth movement. 

I'm hoping for the same reason Schmidt and Myers weren't mentioned.........  Benning regards OJ as a fixture and not a contender.

• Cheers 1

"We want to bring Ian back...we're going to be offering him a contract".  Said he'll be trying to talk to him today/in the next few days.

Said the first priority was TG.  That they had to look at the financial footprint and then start deciding what direction to take.

46 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Agree and on the defencemen I hope so.

Might be the most interesting off-season yet. Hopefully in a good way 

It should be. Frankly, I’m fine with the direction of the team as is and going forward. I’ve voiced some opinions but honestly how this club is managed has little effect on my life, outside of the time spent watching a game, and a period of time after the game when I’m on here. 

It'll all work out in some way. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I just need to get this off my chest.

I am freaking tired of the negative Nancies on 650!

Jim came on, addressed the concerns with FA saying they are not looking for the top free agents and more targetting player with the right fit and skills. Then they go on and completely ignore that cause it doesn't fit their 'aggressive' narratives. 

Especially Rachio, it feels his straining to find the negative angle every time he speaks today. 

/rant

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It should be. Frankly, I’m fine with the direction of the team as is and going forward. I’ve voiced some opinions but honestly how this club is managed has little effect on my life, outside of the time spent watching a game, and a period of time after the game when I’m on here. 

It'll all work out in some way. 

Yup I’ve settled down a bit now that I’ve had time to digest this and the idea of them not doing it my way. Haha.

Not a ton to complain about as I’ve stressed before I’m happy with the young core. Just need to add a few more pieces. Just keep the cupboards half stocked and have next years cap in mind.  She’s all good.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yup I’ve settled down a bit now that I’ve had time to digest this and the idea of them not doing it my way. Haha.

Not a ton to complain about as I’ve stressed before I’m happy with the young core. Just need to add a few more pieces. Just keep the cupboards half stocked and have next years cap in mind.  She’s all good.

One thing I’d like to see is more cohesiveness amongst the roster and some more physical players signed or traded for. The team has enough skill and speed. Needs more size and heft to help insulate the core. 

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about this C.J.  Another early playoff exit or two and he may well be wanting out...

Edmonton fans have been worried about this for a while now.

Even if he wanted out, he is the most valuable asset in the history of the NHL. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One thing I’d like to see is more cohesiveness amongst the roster and some more physical players signed or traded for. The team has enough skill and speed. Needs more size and heft to help insulate the core. 

That's the one thing that jumped out at me....JB saying they'll be looking for skill and speed upgrades.   We need GRIT.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1