The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

On 7/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think VAN is getting Power, Eklund, Beniers or Clarke, so the next BPA is Johnson.

If it's between Johnson and Coronato, I pick the latter. He plays the game so well already, perhaps one of the best in this draft. I'm sold on him after watching Scouching. Another Bo in our lineup that appears to likely be better suited as a centreman, too. If he can end up playing all forward positions then we'd be laughing all the way to the cup. He'll just fit so well with our group of hustle.

Speaking of Scouching, anyone watch the latest one on Owen Power? Yikes. Reminds me of Myers but without the snarl. Not who'd I want if we had #1. But it seems like there's a good chance that Buffalo won't take him, anyways, and instead might go Beniers.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 5:03 PM, Alflives said:

If Edvinson slips to us it’s because of concerns about his hockey sense.  What pick did the Soilers waste on Broberg?  We definitely want big skill, but can’t be dumb.  

Definitely. He has a big ceiling and a low floor. I can see him dropping to us though easily. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Speaking of Scouching, anyone watch the latest one on Owen Power? Yikes. Reminds me of Myers but without the snarl. Not who'd I want if we had #1. But it seems like there's a good chance that Buffalo won't take him, anyways, and instead might go Beniers.

Even without a scouching I've never understood the hype behind this kid. Glad to see him post something that completely supported my eye test though. Imagine being considered for a #1 pick in a draft without high end skill lol. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

Definitely. He has a big ceiling and a low floor. I can see him dropping to us though easily. 

I’d be happy if Edvinson falls to us.  We should swing for the fences with our top picks.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

If it's between Johnson and Coronato, I pick the latter. He plays the game so well already, perhaps one of the best in this draft. I'm sold on him after watching Scouching. Another Bo in our lineup that appears to likely be better suited as a centreman, too. If he can end up playing all forward positions then we'd be laughing all the way to the cup. He'll just fit so well with our group of hustle.

Would you take a riskier higher end pick and do a trade for another first round for him? I'd definitely contemplate it. I think I'd take Lysell over Coronato. Although unproven to some extent, he passes the eye test better for me. 

This draft year is so interesting because I don't think there's really any sure bets, however it's pretty deep. There's a lot of risk and then there's some guys that have some great intangibles and it's just so wild in comparison to other years. Usually the top 5 is a real big separation in other years with (in my opinion) much higher end talent with fewer risks but this year there's some high end talent with some high risks. I'm so conflated this year as to who I want. There's a few guys I know I don't want (mainly defensemen) but there's certainly a case for literally every prospect I've examined in the top 15. Such a weird year. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Would you take a riskier higher end pick and do a trade for another first round for him? I'd definitely contemplate it. I think I'd take Lysell over Coronato. Although unproven to some extent, he passes the eye test better for me. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting two first rounders if the price is right. Honestly, tho, I don't know anything aside from the Scouching videos, but I love how he breaks the players down in detail. I like Lysell's hustle, but my eye test differs from yours, as I do worry that he already plays to his limit. But maybe his ceiling is higher? For me, my eye test sees Coronato as another Bo. For a young guy to play such a solid game, the way it should be played, I see that translating to the big boys. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting two first rounders if the price is right. Honestly, tho, I don't know anything aside from the Scouching videos, but I love how he breaks the players down in detail. I like Lysell's hustle, but my eye test differs from yours, as I do worry that he already plays to his limit. But maybe his ceiling is higher? For me, my eye test sees Coronato as another Bo. For a young guy to play such a solid game, the way it should be played, I see that translating to the big boys. 

What we don’t get to see is how physically mature these prospects are.  Is Lysell finished physically developing?  Is he already a man?  If he is done maturing, then he’s definitely closer to his ceiling than guys who are still physically developing.  One guy we can see is already physically matured is MacTavish.  He’s already got a full beard.  So how much more is he going to mature?  Likely not much.  He’s another guy who is already close to his ceiling.  But, with these guys who are developed, if they are already really good they will play sooner.  It’s just they aren’t going to improve as much as the guys who are still developing, but who won’t be in the league for a few years.  

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hearing the Canucks may be targeting a Russian to play on Podkolzin's line.

Could it be Evgeny Kuznetsov?

EDIT - Probably not Kuz, as he makes almost $8, but who?

Nichuskin or Buchnevich?

Edited by Jayinblack
Added

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What we don’t get to see is how physically mature these prospects are.  Is Lysell finished physically developing?  Is he already a man?  If he is done maturing, then he’s definitely closer to his ceiling than guys who are still physically developing.  One guy we can see is already physically matured is MacTavish.  He’s already got a full beard.  So how much more is he going to mature?  Likely not much.  He’s another guy who is already close to his ceiling.  But, with these guys who are developed, if they are already really good they will play sooner.  It’s just they aren’t going to improve as much as the guys who are still developing, but who won’t be in the league for a few years.  

Very good points. Lysell, to me, looks and plays small out there. Scouch said something along the lines that he may be putting in lots of extra effort just to garner more ice time, which I like as a mentality, but it concerns me. He's just such a wildcard. McT is definitely more physically mature, but I could see him being a Getzlaf-type of player. I'd be stoked to have him drop to us, but I don't see that happening. I dunno, my eye test - in, granted, a small sample size of scouching reports and other youtube videos - sees Coronato with such a great head and hustle for the game at both ends of the ice, as both a scorer and a playmaker, and still with room to grow physically. And I think he'll be there at #9. For those who haven't seen this:

Edited by Jester13
  • Thanks 2

On 7/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, Jester13 said:

Im glad im not the only one high on Powers. And I also see similarities between Power and Myers. I expect Powers to drop in the standings

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I definitely like the scouching videos, however after doing some shift by shifts on some players (some like Kent Johnson) he grossly over-emphasizes some aspects of his game like being unable to make the simple pass when it's available. I was watching one of his games and I found he was making the simple pass actually quite regularly and wasn't one-manning it all the time as if you'd assume you'd see. Oddly enough, Beniers was doing more one-manning and putting himself into more dangerous situations far often but I have a very small sample size. Wish I had more time to do shift by shift analysis on a lot of these guys and I have become a bit too reliant on scouching vids the past couple years. 

I kind of project Lysell's game kind of similarly to Podkolzin's in some aspects. Maybe not as gritty but a little bit more driven in a style similar to Hoglander's. I have a huge affinity for those kind of players. I like the kid's hands, I like his attitude of bringing things to the net, I love how he's always moving his feet, his head is on a swivel in the defensive zone away from the puck, offensively away from the puck he always tries to find holes or get into position, has decent hands... I love this kid as a prospect. I really do. Does so many of the details right (sometimes lacks a bit of IQ rushing some plays but in many instances even that dumb IQ of just going into attack mode can be super beneficial in some situations). I honestly believe he's NHL ready at this point for a limited role (could also definitely take time to refine his discipline a bit with timing). 

I agree with you that his ceiling isn't extremely high, but I think he could easily end up a player very similar to Hoglander. I'd actually argue he was more refined (with slightly less skill) than Hoglander during their draft years. Hoglander would skate himself into a lot of trouble often during his draft year but obviously figured that out in development. Lysell is more aware of when to pass which in my opinion makes him NHL ready. 

His cons is that his high end talent isn't extremely noticeable even though he tends to make the right play most of the time, his angling on the backcheck and perhaps a bit of gap control defensively despite being aware of his man. But for a young kid that's pretty impressive. 

55 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I definitely like the scouching videos, however after doing some shift by shifts on some players (some like Kent Johnson) he grossly over-emphasizes some aspects of his game like being unable to make the simple pass when it's available. I was watching one of his games and I found he was making the simple pass actually quite regularly and wasn't one-manning it all the time as if you'd assume you'd see. Oddly enough, Beniers was doing more one-manning and putting himself into more dangerous situations far often but I have a very small sample size. Wish I had more time to do shift by shift analysis on a lot of these guys and I have become a bit too reliant on scouching vids the past couple years. 

I kind of project Lysell's game kind of similarly to Podkolzin's in some aspects. Maybe not as gritty but a little bit more driven in a style similar to Hoglander's. I have a huge affinity for those kind of players. I like the kid's hands, I like his attitude of bringing things to the net, I love how he's always moving his feet, his head is on a swivel in the defensive zone away from the puck, offensively away from the puck he always tries to find holes or get into position, has decent hands... I love this kid as a prospect. I really do. Does so many of the details right (sometimes lacks a bit of IQ rushing some plays but in many instances even that dumb IQ of just going into attack mode can be super beneficial in some situations). I honestly believe he's NHL ready at this point for a limited role (could also definitely take time to refine his discipline a bit with timing). 

I agree with you that his ceiling isn't extremely high, but I think he could easily end up a player very similar to Hoglander. I'd actually argue he was more refined (with slightly less skill) than Hoglander during their draft years. Hoglander would skate himself into a lot of trouble often during his draft year but obviously figured that out in development. Lysell is more aware of when to pass which in my opinion makes him NHL ready. 

His cons is that his high end talent isn't extremely noticeable even though he tends to make the right play most of the time, his angling on the backcheck and perhaps a bit of gap control defensively despite being aware of his man. But for a young kid that's pretty impressive. 

Do you like another Hoglander at #9 or another Bo, which is who I see Coronato's ceiling as. Don't get me wrong, I'd love another Hogs, but not as a top 10 pick. Snag another such player in the 2nd round and beyond. 

• Like 1