Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. He's the only other RHD in the 1st round. I wonder what kind of poop storm would ensue tho if McTavish was available at 9 and he did this? 

Could this be another “ take Olli instead of Pukechuk “ moment. I think JB will draft best player available instead of positional need at #9 :towel:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd look at trading the puck, if Ekblad or Jones are on the table I don't know why you wouldn't. 

 

There are certain players in the draft I do really like, Guenther for example would be a great addition if he falls, but it's not exactly a loaded draft & reasonable expectations for most these guys is their probably not going to be as good a player as Jones or Ekblad.

 

The 9th pick as an asset is at its highest value before the player is picked, if we could use that to get a right shot #1D, why not?.. isn't that what we would be hoping for with say Brandt Clarke? 

 

Horvat is 26, Miller is in his late 20's, Demkos is 25, Pettersson & Hughes are elite players right now, this core is ready to be a competitive team now - gotta help them out.

 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

JT Miller says hi.

It was a conditional first round pick, but sure, it is the one exception. Hardly a rule in the grand scheme of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd look at trading the puck, if Ekblad or Jones are on the table I don't know why you wouldn't. 

 

There are certain players in the draft I do really like, Guenther for example would be a great addition if he falls, but it's not exactly a loaded draft & reasonable expectations for most these guys is their probably not going to be as good a player as Jones or Ekblad.

 

The 9th pick as an asset is at its highest value before the player is picked, if we could use that to get a right shot #1D, why not?.. isn't that what we would be hoping for with say Brandt Clarke? 

 

Horvat is 26, Miller is in his late 20's, Demkos is 25, Pettersson & Hughes are elite players right now, this core is ready to be a competitive team now - gotta help them out.

 

Posted in proposals:

 

Get our future RD to play with Hughes and keep our pick to snag a faller, McT, Johnson or Svech.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. He's the only other RHD in the 1st round. I wonder what kind of poop storm would ensue tho if McTavish was available at 9 and he did this? 

Personally, I'm happy with whomever Benning takes at 9.  I'd be happy with a trade too.  Maybe McTavish is our next Bo?  How cool would it be to have two guys like that?  Cuelemans is a big RSD, who can bring some nasty along with skill.  So he's an exciting pick.  Carson Lambos is a solid pick there too.  I'm not keen on Johnson or Guenther though.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Personally, I'm happy with whomever Benning takes at 9.  I'd be happy with a trade too.  Maybe McTavish is our next Bo?  How cool would it be to have two guys like that?  Cuelemans is a big RSD, who can bring some nasty along with skill.  So he's an exciting pick.  Carson Lambos is a solid pick there too.  I'm not keen on Johnson or Guenther though.   

I wonder if Jim trades down too. NJ has that extra NYI 1st. Maybe thats how we shed Loui? 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Jim trades down too. NJ has that extra NYI 1st. Maybe thats how we shed Loui? 

"We don't have all the information" so it's definitely possible. I'd rather we trade down to add more picks though, than to just shed Loui.  We are a really good young core, and will need a steady pipeline of young ELC talent feeding the support group over the next several years to keep our cap under control.  We don't want to end up like the LOSER LEAFS and be stuck with only signing old guys to one year league minimum contracts to fill out our roster, and LOSE like they always do in round one.  Then we get stuck as LOSERS, because we are only mediocre.   

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Fabian Lysell would be my pick. Plays like Pod and Hog, taller than Hog but shorter than Pod. Imagine a Pod & Hog hybrid but not as jacked as either of him. A true honey badger type player but with a little more skill. Imagine how hard it would be to play against us night in night out with a team consisting of players like Horvat, Miller, Hog, Pod, Lysell, Motte & Highmore hounding you 24/7. I like Mctavish, but he simply doesn’t have the skating to be a top end player at the NHL level (unless he gains a step in his development). I also don’t think Johnson’s game will transition very well to the NHL. People compare him to Petey but he’s a winger and doesn’t have Petey’s hockey IQ and certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the power of Petey’s shot. If you watch his shift by shifts you’ll see that he holds on to the puck for way too long too. He doesn’t have high end skating and is often just making plays for the sake of making plays.

Edited by Specz
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Specz said:

Fabian Lysell would be my pick. Plays like Pod and Hog, taller than Hog but shorter than Pod. Imagine a Pod & Hog hybrid but not as jacked as either of him. A true honey badger type player but with a little more skill. Imagine how hard it would be to play against us night in night out with a team consisting of players like Horvat, Miller, Hog, Pod, Lysell, Motte & Highmore hounding you 24/7. I like Mctavish, but he simply doesn’t have the skating to be a top end player at the NHL level (unless he gains a step in his development). I also don’t think Johnson’s game will transition very well to the NHL. People compare him to Petey but he’s a winger and doesn’t have Petey’s hockey IQ and certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the power of Petey’s shot. If you watch his shift by shifts you’ll see that he holds on to the puck for way too long too. He doesn’t have high end skating and is often just making plays for the sake of making plays.

No he doesnt. His work ethic is nowhere near pod or hogs at all. It’s literally not even close to them if you listen to the scouting reports.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

No he doesnt. His work ethic is nowhere near pod or hogs at all. It’s literally not even close to them if you listen to the scouting reports.

Which scouting reports? Can you post them? I have no issues with you disagreeing with me but if you're saying "it's literally not even close," then perhaps you can provide some of your sources?

 

Scouching did a really good analysis of Lysell, the link for that is here:

 

 

Also, the hockey writers have a good article on him too:

 

https://thehockeywriters.com/fabian-lysell-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
 

Lastly, according to Dobber Prospects:

 

“Lysell’s greatest attribute is his skating, with speed to burn and the agility to adjust and play through traffic. He is an excellent puck handler and can make moves at high speed, as well as in tight around the net. He lacks size and strength but does a good job of protecting the puck on his outside hip while looking to make a play. Lysell hunts pucks while closing quickly on the forecheck and does well to evade defenders in confined spaces by using his low center of gravity to get underneath checks. Able to turn on a dime due to his great edges and ability to transfer weight quickly, Lysell is slippery along the boards. He is a responsible defensive player who supports the play well in the offensive zone and does an even better job of tracking the play in defensive transition, taking intelligent angles in pursuit.”- Nick Richard, Dobber Prospects 

Edited by Specz
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Specz said:

Which scouting reports? Can you post them? I have no issues with you disagreeing with me but if you're saying "it's literally not even close," then perhaps you can provide some of your sources?

 

Scouching did a really good analysis of Lysell, the link for that is here:

 

 

Also, the hockey writers have a good article on him too:

 

https://thehockeywriters.com/fabian-lysell-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
 

Lastly, according to Dobber Prospects:

 

“Lysell’s greatest attribute is his skating, with speed to burn and the agility to adjust and play through traffic. He is an excellent puck handler and can make moves at high speed, as well as in tight around the net. He lacks size and strength but does a good job of protecting the puck on his outside hip while looking to make a play. Lysell hunts pucks while closing quickly on the forecheck and does well to evade defenders in confined spaces by using his low center of gravity to get underneath checks. Able to turn on a dime due to his great edges and ability to transfer weight quickly, Lysell is slippery along the boards. He is a responsible defensive player who supports the play well in the offensive zone and does an even better job of tracking the play in defensive transition, taking intelligent angles in pursuit.”- Nick Richard, Dobber Prospects 

Start at 7:03 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Start at 7:03 

 

 

Yes, I heard this interview too. Shane is a project manager for EA games. Essentially, Chel drafting is his wheelhouse. Have you played EA's NHL games? Let's just say their drafting predictions aren't always the best. Anyways, I have no issues with you disagreeing with me but Shane is not exactly a scout.

 

Actually, here is his linkedin (you can see for yourself lol):

 

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/shane-malloy-mba-chp-68a041bb

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

EA717B2B-CAC4-4BEA-9983-CC683F16526B.jpeg

Where does it say exactly that Lysell's "work ethic is nowhere near pod or hogs at all. It’s literally not even close to them"??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

"We don't have all the information" so it's definitely possible. I'd rather we trade down to add more picks though, than to just shed Loui.  We are a really good young core, and will need a steady pipeline of young ELC talent feeding the support group over the next several years to keep our cap under control.  We don't want to end up like the LOSER LEAFS and be stuck with only signing old guys to one year league minimum contracts to fill out our roster, and LOSE like they always do in round one.  Then we get stuck as LOSERS, because we are only mediocre.   

agreed, more 2nd round picks the better. I just wonder if Jim has designs on big fish free agents and is willing to clear cap that way. Its better than losing a 1st entirely like other teams have done.

 

My preference right now is just to keep the 1st as @Coconuts made a good point about this maybe being the highest we pick for a while if all goes well.

 

But if we can move Schmidt and a 2nd for something that makes us better that I'm OK with. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

EA717B2B-CAC4-4BEA-9983-CC683F16526B.jpeg

If Clarke falls to us (actually if he falls out of the top three) I'll eat my old smelly socks, and happily do so.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Clarke falls to us (actually if he falls out of the top three) I'll eat my old smelly socks, and happily do so.  

dip 'em in scotch first 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No way that is the draft list above lol A pure winger going Number 3 when all those good D are available? I don't think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...